Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have zero appetitie, eat little, but am feeling well. Nothing appeals to me, has anyone sorted this?

(24 Posts)
Foreverme Tue 17-Oct-17 18:17:57

I just wanted to see if I am alone here.

I have no eating disorders. Never had. Am well and walk for exercise, sleep well too.

But honestly eating anything in the last year has been a struggle. I cannot get any enthusiasm for any type of food at all.

I just eat when I feel I am wilting. Weetabix and cold full fat milk, full fat Greek yogurt and fruit, soup and wholemeal bread. That's largely it. I haven't lost weight, and feel ok.

If I go out to eat the portions overwhelm me.

I am fed up of this. Doctor just thinks I am going through a bad patch. Huh, a year!

Just wondered if anyone else felt like this and solved it. I would love to be able to salivate again.

Could be depression I suppose, but I feel great otherwise.

Thanks.

Blueberrysandgrapes76 Tue 17-Oct-17 21:25:52

Feeling full after eating very little can be a sign of ovarian cancer

Foreverme Tue 17-Oct-17 21:53:03

@Blueberrysandgrapes76

I know this. And one would be bloated also. Not me though.

But I am never full, I just don't have any appetite.

I read all the time about people eating roast chicken, roast spuds, pizza, the works and I feel NO. Although I really loved all that in a former life.

I don't know what is wrong with me.

annandale Tue 17-Oct-17 21:55:59

What was your life like a year ago, or in fact two years ago? Did anything else change?

gamerchick Tue 17-Oct-17 21:59:29

I lose my appetite regularly and rely heavily on meal replacements and protein drinks when it happens. They’re easy to force down and will keep you ticking over.

Foreverme Tue 17-Oct-17 22:06:13

Thanks for the replies, you are so kind.

Nothing has really changed apart from the usual stuff we all deal with every day.

I just do not seem to be able to eat anything nice and tasty, just fuel.

I did go to the doctor's about this, but the result was nothing really. Well I haven't lost any weight and am not bloated, those were the things GP looked out for.

Could be depression I reckon, even though I feel well, and work and enjoy that, get plenty of exercise (mostly!) and have a good circle of friends.

I am single right now, but happily so, no traumas with a past life either.

There must be something! I will think again.

Foreverme Tue 17-Oct-17 22:10:51

@gamerchick.

I think I will get some of those protein drinks and supplements now.

But I shouldn't have to, this is going on for a year now. I go visit family and they have a lovely roast thing going, the smell is divine, but I just cannot eat it. I nibble to be polite though!

It is weird. I wish I could get to the bottom of it. Really do.

Thanks all.

Laurat859 Tue 17-Oct-17 22:12:04

You are not alone OP! I am experiencing the same thing. Used to love my food but now I literally eat because I know I have to. Doctor doesn't seem concerned and believes it's part of my IBS.
If you aren't taking any medication or experiencing any stress which may be causing loss of appetite, go back to the doctors and ask for some tests.

Foreverme Tue 17-Oct-17 22:21:23

Thank you @ Laurat859

No IBS either. It is totally weird.

I would love to devour a roast chicken dinner. But I cannot even contemplate that. I will pick and pick, but that is not eating a dinner. And people are starting to comment. I have no answer.

Maybe the dreaded word that works for everything....ANXIETY.

But I don't see the effects of that in my day to day life. But maybe it is there somehow. I dunno.

Mumof41987 Tue 17-Oct-17 22:27:32

I too am like this and have to force myself to eat . Iv lost a stone in 6 weeks . I was overweight and need to lose two stone to get healthy bmi. I have started uni and just find I'm so wrapped up in studying Iv lost my appetite ! I never fancy anything and it's really annoying as I used to be a real foodie ? I'm hoping my appetite returns soon

Mumof41987 Tue 17-Oct-17 22:28:50

On the plus side I'm only needing to lose one more stone to get my bmi down to 23 . It's 26 at the minute

lljkk Tue 17-Oct-17 22:35:45

"I haven't lost any weight"

Happened to me at age 38. Appetite plummeted (stayed that way except when I get Lots of exercise). Now you understand how middle aged spread happens. You either cut down on food or you put on weight.

I felt fine. It was just a natural body change. I didn't & don't have anxiety about anything so just thought it was normal ... 12 years later, now, still seems to be my normal.

Blueberrysandgrapes76 Wed 18-Oct-17 01:36:34

I don’t think you should wait for bloating as a symptom to only consider ovarian cancer - that would mean it would be at a very late stage! Sometimes you have to go back to gp and be pushy - id demand a blood test tbh to rule out that cancer marker thongs (ca125?) and also anemia/low iron.

oldlaundbooth Wed 18-Oct-17 01:43:52

How many calories do you take in per day?

GardenGeek Wed 18-Oct-17 02:39:58

This happens to me. I go through phases of it.

I find watching food programmes really helps, at the moment am watching bake off and the family food competition one.

I find also having a salad with your favourite dressing is really good because sometimes I sit and leave the food for five minutes while I pick on the salad to start my appetite.

GardenGeek Wed 18-Oct-17 02:41:57

and antipasti nibbles / bites

like a few grapes or a few olives half hour before dinners ready will see me wolf it down.

Justanothermama Wed 18-Oct-17 02:47:23

You do keep referring to depression- has your gp assessed you for this? Losing interest in something you once enjoyed is a sign of depression. Doesn't have to be severe to be there. There's a questionnaire on the NHS website that will help you determine if it could be that.

GirlInASwirl Wed 18-Oct-17 03:35:13

It is unlikely that a doctor will action any treatment if the physical signs are that a.) you are able to physically chew and swallow, b.) that you are not losing weight, c.) look physically well.

But there has been a change in something maybe psychological. Which has had a knock on impact on your appetite. It does not have to be as major as an eating disorder. It is also OK to just think of food as 'simple fuel' rather than salivating for the time being. Small steps - if you have had a love of food before - you can have it again. Some eating disorder support groups may have information on this as many go through this on recovery.

There are also stretch receptions in your digestive tract and these are responsible for a feeling of fullness/emptiness. They send triggers directly to the brain to trigger appetite - which in turn tells you to eat. It also re-triggers to tell you that you are full and can put your cutlery down. It is possible that these may have changed - worth a discussion with GP?

annandale Wed 18-Oct-17 08:02:40

'The usual stuff we all deal with' has an impact, that's all.

DottyDotAgain Wed 18-Oct-17 08:06:59

This has happened to me very recently- although was started with what I think was a stomach bug. I'm now over the bug but still just don't want to eat. I'm 4 stone overweight, so no bad thing, but for me not to have an appetite is unheard of!

I'm also a bit down at the moment and having lots of peri-menopausal symptoms so I'm putting it down to hormones and am also anaemic so overall being slightly under the weather.

Weird though- hope you find your appetite soon!

Believeitornot Wed 18-Oct-17 08:10:43

What makes you think it could be depression? I mean you have mentioned it more than once which makes me wonder maybe it is.

You said that you’ve just had the usual things over the last year. Well that doesn’t mean we can’t get depressed? Eg I’ve changed jobs, I’ve got two dcs with one who’s having trouble at school, having a house extension and my marriage isn’t great. Some might say they’re “normal” things but I certainly do not feel happy and keep getting upset easily etc and feel my mental health sliding.

What do you feel enthused about?

Rainallday Wed 18-Oct-17 08:16:33

How's your sense of smell and taste are they the same?

ArgyMargy Wed 18-Oct-17 08:18:44

Er if you haven't lost weight then I can't really see the problem. Your body is evidently getting enough calories - you may think you have no appetite but you must be eating otherwise you would have lost weight over a year.

MuddlingThroughLife Wed 18-Oct-17 08:34:41

The less you eat, the less you WANT to eat, the more your stomach will shrink, hence even less of an appetite and feeling full quickly.

Sounds to me like you're a bit depressed. Maybe try doing some exercise to release some feel good hormones and give you a bit of an appetite. Also try building up your appetite by trying to eat at regular times - breakfast, dinner and tea. Even if it's only tiny amounts at each meal.

flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now