Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gallbladder removal

(21 Posts)
vilamoura2003 Mon 16-Oct-17 17:41:12

In a couple of weeks I am due to have my gallbladder removed. I think they have said I will be signed off work for 2 weeks. I am sure he said something like I shouldn’t be in a car for 2 weeks because of internal stitches and the seatbelt in an emergency stop 🤔 I have a girlie night out planned to Bistro Live 9 days post surgery which I am wondering whether I should pull out of. Maybe a bit much 🤔

I am starting to wobble about it a little bit - my step dad had his out and keeps telling me it is a major operation, and that he was off work for 4 weeks 😱 I have also read on google about people suffering from long term dicky tummy after wards from the bile irritating people’s tummies who have IBS 🙄

Just looking for peoples experiences of gallbladder removal surgery - good and bad, I would prefer to be prepared 👍😊

PandorasXbox Mon 16-Oct-17 18:42:46

Everyone is different in their recovery rate but personally I was out of sorts for a good 3/4 weeks. I doubt you’ll be up for a night out 9 days after. I was so sore and really tired. I think your dad is right wink

hugoagogo Mon 16-Oct-17 18:49:34

I wasn't up to much after 9 days, after 2 weeks I did a 4 hour shift and struggled. After 3 weeks I felt almost normal.
Good luck, it really works.grin

fuckweasel Mon 16-Oct-17 18:50:05

I was one of the unfortunate 5% whose surgery had to convert to open. No indication in advance that this would be the case. I was in hospital for five days and off work for six weeks with a phased return after that. Nine days post surgery I think I managed a hobble 100 yards down the road which necessitated a long nap afterwards! Didn't drive for about a month.

You did say you wanted experiences good or bad!

PotteringAlong Mon 16-Oct-17 18:51:26

On the other hand, my DH is a teacher and he went back to work after 6 days. He was driving after 5 days. He's never looked back.

trinity0097 Mon 16-Oct-17 19:18:44

I was driving after about 8 days, off work for 2 weeks, but could have been back after 10 days, but my boss wouldn't let me!

ScrabbleFiend Mon 16-Oct-17 19:27:03

I was still zonked out on cocodamol 9 days post op. No chance i'd have been up for a night out. Needed the 2 weeks off but my job can be physical. Zero after effects though and can eat whatever I fancy now not necessarily a good thing.
Had a few drinks on a night out 5 weeks post op and was quite unwell, gallbladder type pain during the night. Have only had one or two drinks on occasion since as I don't drink much anyway. Have another night out coming up and I'm a bit scared tbh in case it happens again, will probably only have a couple just in case.

Owlish Mon 16-Oct-17 19:33:26

I had mine out in June; still a bit sore after a week, but otherwise fine and pratically fully recovered within a fortnight. Never had any digestive problems since. I’d just see how you feel on the day. Good luck.

BettyOBarley Mon 16-Oct-17 19:40:08

It took a fortnight for me to feel fine and I was given another sick note for a additional 2 weeks as I'd had to be readmitted the day after surgery with a minor complication.

I never had any digestive issues but I do occasionally get a dull ache or twinge in that area (6yrs since I had it out), mainly when eating a low fat diet oddly enough.

junebirthdaygirl Mon 16-Oct-17 19:41:23

Got mine out. 4 weeks out of work but gradually recovering during that time. Great success. No more pain and only thing l can't eat is cream. If the gig is a standing up one l wouldn't have been able for it. Sitting would have been ok.

BillyDaveysDaughter Mon 16-Oct-17 19:42:28

Mine is coming out in 5 weeks. I'm nervous sad

Herschellmum Mon 16-Oct-17 19:48:25

I would have been fine. I was also 17 weeks pregnant with twins at the time. I got on a plane and flew to Scotland for my sister in laws wedding a week later, I was a little sore, but nothing to stop me enjoying the whole wedding.

The next morning I asked if I could leave and they said as long as I ate, weed that sort of thing, which wasn’t an issue being pregnant lol and I went home and resumed life as usual. I am clearly one of the lucky ones, I know others who struggled afterwards but I know others who were fine too.

As for post op tummy problems, yes, if I get something fatty on an empty stomach I have to run to the loo, but it’s nothing compared to the Pain and problems with my gallbladder.

Battyoldbat Mon 16-Oct-17 19:53:27

My DH had his out this year, he was whacked for weeks afterwards. He's generally pretty fit and healthy but it really took it out of him and it was probably a good 6 weeks to be back to normal energy levels. He was back at work after 2 weeks

vilamoura2003 Tue 17-Oct-17 21:02:50

Thank you so much everyone for your replies. I definitely wanted to hear all stories, good and bad - forewarned is forearmed 👍

trinity0097 Wed 18-Oct-17 19:39:44

I feel twinges in one scar when it is damp!

Ropsleybunny Wed 18-Oct-17 19:47:02

I had mine out last November. It was done by keyhole, which makes it a much more simple procedure and you recover more quickly. They tell you that sometimes they have to proceed to open surgery if things get complicated.

I recovered from the surgery really quickly and had very little pain. I did lose my appetite though and I felt nauseous for about a month afterwards. It gradually got better during that time.

Fergusmum Wed 18-Oct-17 22:40:14

I had mine out via keyhole - no probs at all. My DH had his out in Aug - could not do keyhole so had open surgery. He came home, wound would not heal - 14 visits by the Community Nurses later - it has finally healed and he is fine.

NewMonthNewUsername Wed 18-Oct-17 22:51:05

Took me about a month to recover from the op, I'm still waiting to recover from the horrendous stomach and digestive issues. 4 years later now.
The attacks were excruciating, but my god, the bowel problems I have are debilitating when it comes to my social life sad

vilamoura2003 Wed 18-Oct-17 23:41:30

Newmonthnewusername did you have tummy problems before? This is my worry ☹️

Does Imodium work for you? I have seen that you can have something called bile absorption tablets if the bile irritates your gut?

NewMonthNewUsername Thu 19-Oct-17 08:31:25

@vilamoura2003
Nope, not at all. I didn't even realise it could be a side effect. I was given these tablets that dissolve in water but they made me vomit. I've just kind of accepted it now, but it is horrible sad

vilamoura2003 Thu 19-Oct-17 10:32:30

@NewMonthNewUsername - ☹️ that must be horrible for you. Does it happen every day or do you have periods of respite?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now