Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

What is wrong with me?

(18 Posts)
NameChange9786 Mon 16-Oct-17 16:04:37

Been having some health problems for a few months now, thought we'd hit the nail on the head last week figured out it was my thyroid, but just had blood test results come back normal. I'm at a total loss now, GP has no idea what's going on and I can't see her again until Thursday. I thought if I listed my symptoms on here someone might have experienced something similar.
So here goes: my periods have become more and more irregular since I miscarried earlier in the year and stopped completely 4 months ago (I have polycystic ovaries but not PCOS), I've lost a shed load of weight (1.5 stone this year and I was relatively thin to begin with), my hair is falling out in handfuls, I'm constantly tired and thirsty, I've started getting migraines and I'm irritable. I look ill and gaunt but I think that's due to losing so much weight over a short space of time.
I saw a gynae a few months ago who was useless and I'm waiting to be seen by them again. Definitely not pregnant, had multiple blood tests to check. Thyroid and prolactin levels normal.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I want to be able to make some suggestions to the GP and push for tests but I have no idea where to go from here.

Thanks in advance!

fessmess Mon 16-Oct-17 16:17:12

I have no idea but it sounds awful. I hope you find out so you can start to recover. flowers

NameChange9786 Mon 16-Oct-17 18:11:46

Thank you. Probably should have said I’m mid twenties and otherwise healthy.

NoMoreRoomOnTheBroom Tue 17-Oct-17 11:38:12

I've literally been to the doctor's about this. I had all the symptoms you are describing, weight loss headaches plus very bad night sweats, stonach pains, tiredness, (only i do have pcos). My Dr was brilliant and literally did me blood tests for everything, hormone levels, testosterone levels, FBC, LFT, TFT, vitimin deficiency, celiacs disease, etc. Anyway, it took about 2 weeks for all the results to come back and all my blood tests were normal apart from my testosterone level is borderline, so they won't do anything about that and also, I am very low in folic acid and vitamin b12. I've been given supplements and have started a new contraceptive pill and after a week I can honestly say I'm starting to feel a bit better.

What blood tests have you had?

( I'm early 30s and have had 3 children)

PeachPlumPears Tue 17-Oct-17 11:55:34

Deficiency in B12 or iron could cause these symptoms. I would ask to get all the tests NoMoreRoom posted above

abbsisspartacus Tue 17-Oct-17 11:58:06

Your thyroid is within the normal range but is it top end of normal or bottom? Is your t3 up but not t4?

Ohyesiam Tue 17-Oct-17 12:09:02

Have you has a blood test for B12,?

Also where on the range was your " normal " thyroid test? You could fall outside their parameters, and be low/ high for you. Some doctors get this, done only understand things in textbooks.
Also have they tested t3 and t4?

timeistight Tue 17-Oct-17 13:17:27

How normal is 'normal'? Just within the reference range is not good enough.

Agree with other posters that this could be B12. Again, to be optimal that needs to be at least at the top of the reference range, if not higher.

zen1 Tue 17-Oct-17 13:20:38

Have they checked your blood sugar levels?

NameChange9786 Wed 18-Oct-17 11:03:35

Thanks everyone. The gp is phoning me tomorrow. I’ve only spoken to the receptionist so all I know so far is that my prolactin and thyroid are ‘satisfactory’. I’m going to ask for all the blood tests listed above, I’ve had a look at b12 deficiency and I’m wondering if it could be that now. Not had my blood sugars done recently but it’s usually on the lower side of normal, as is my blood pressure.
Thanks again! I’ll update tomorrow when I’ve spoken to the gp.

retirednow Wed 18-Oct-17 16:00:33

poor you, are you diabetic?

Usernom1234567890 Wed 18-Oct-17 16:45:27

A lot of your symptoms made me think of Addison's disease:

https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Addisons-disease/Pages/Diagnosis.aspx

But that is very rare.
Also, don't necessarily always have to have pigmentation/ hyperpigmentation either.

NameChange9786 Wed 18-Oct-17 18:00:50

Not diabetic that I’m aware of. I’m a bit old for type 1 and don’t have type 2 risk factors.

Thank you user! That does sound like a possibility. I’ll ask the gp to do some of those tests tomorrow.

Backingvocals Wed 18-Oct-17 19:17:49

I think type 1 can develop in adulthood. DOesnt Theresa May have type 1, diagnosed in 2012?

CatherineCawood Thu 19-Oct-17 12:09:09

Type 1 can occur at any time, I know people diagnosed as teenagers and adults. A blood sugar test sounds like it could be a good idea.

NameChange9786 Thu 19-Oct-17 17:53:56

Spoke to the gp again today and they’re testing me for b12 and folate deficiency, should have the results back by the middle of next week. I don’t think it’s diabetes, this has come on slowly since the beginning of the year but if nothing shows up from these bloods I’ll speak to the gp about that too. Thanks again!

CatherineCawood Thu 19-Oct-17 22:38:37

I hope that you get to the bottom of it, most frustrating.

NameChange9786 Tue 31-Oct-17 08:43:13

Just coming back with an update - I’ve got iron deficiency anaemia. Starting iron tablets today and will hopefully see an improvement within a month smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: