Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pain post surgery- how much is normal?

(3 Posts)
FAkenameforthis Mon 16-Oct-17 15:46:20

I had a 20x17cm ovarian cyst removed 2 1/2 weeks ago and I’m still in a lot of pain. I’m wondering how normal it is to be in pain at this stage after surgery and if not, do I speak to the ward I was on or my GP?

It was 4 hours of surgery, and I was in for 3 days afterwards and discharged with codeine and declafenac. Both have now run out and my GP last Friday said to just take paracetamol...

hingedspeculum Mon 16-Oct-17 16:00:05

Any pain experienced by a patient should be attempted to be managed - you shouldn't expect to suffer just because you've had an operation. Obviously, it can be sometimes be difficult to manage types of pain and get rid of it entirely, but that should be the aim.

You might have some literature that you were given at discharge that mentions what to do if you deteriorate or if new symptoms arise x days after your surgery. As you are 2.5 weeks ago, the likelihood is that your GP will be your point of call (seeing as you went on Friday). You can tell them that the paracetamol isn't managing the pain.

If you become more tender over the wound site, develop a temperature, the pain is getting worse, or any other symptom of going down hill, then go to A&E (ideally at the hospital that you had the original operation, but not essential of course).

FAkenameforthis Mon 16-Oct-17 16:21:10

Great, thank you. On my discharge letter was information about contacting them if I had an issue with the wound or I had a temperature.

My discharge letter also said for GP not to continue the pain relief, only iron tablets, so they seem hesitant to do that.

I’m aware I have a high pain threshold so I’m not sure whether this pain is actually an issue or if it’s just that it’s a different pain to what I’m used to so it’s affecting me more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now