Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast abcess, anyone any experience of antibiotics working?

(7 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Mon 16-Oct-17 13:22:17

Been given 48 hours to see if the antibiotics work. If not will need to go to hospital to have it drained.

Currently a very large and painful lump which has turned the skin red. Lymph nodes also swollen in that side.

Do antibiotics normally work? Gp said sometimes the blood supply isn't very good at getting the drugs to the problem. Does having it drained hurt? Is it done under local?

VivaLeBeaver Mon 16-Oct-17 17:34:08

Anyone? Not feeling any better yet but no worse either.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Tue 17-Oct-17 15:51:30

I have had trouble with breast infections and an abscess twice...bit worried another one is brewing!
With my abscess it burst on its own after having to drive for 40 minutes with seat belt pressing against it...sorry I can't remember how long I had antibiotics before it burst.

Speakeasy22 Tue 17-Oct-17 15:55:03

I had one. They couldn’t use a local so had a general anaesthetic after trying to drain it with no pain relief. Antibiotics didn’t work. It was quite badly infected by the time I went to see about it though.

crumble82 Tue 17-Oct-17 15:59:43

I had one (mastitis) and afraid antibiotics didn’t work, I had to have it drained under general anaesthetic. I only have the tiniest scar though.

CosySnuggles Tue 17-Oct-17 16:06:59

It will depend how big and where it is- I had one once (mastitis for 9 weeks beforehand, fobbed off by drs, countless Antibiotics) Eventually admitted via A&E, I was so ill with the infection. Because it was quite close to the surface though it was easily drained with no anaesthetic (only a tiny bit of pain compared to the relief). I had to go back weekly for 4 or 5 weeks to have it drained again but it did clear up!

VivaLeBeaver Tue 17-Oct-17 18:26:57

Thanks. Abcess is egg size but seems a bit smaller and less painful today so hopefully abx are working.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now