Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it standard to be send straight from a GP appointment for an x-ray?

(20 Posts)
WonderingWomen Mon 16-Oct-17 10:32:36

ExH has had a bad chest for a while. Finally went to Drs this morning. Dr said his left lung didn't sound right and he was 'worried.

Sent ExH straight to local hospital for xray.

Do they normally do that? Feeling a bit anxious.

treaclesoda Mon 16-Oct-17 10:34:57

I've had this before and all was fine. It was 'just' a chest infection.

It's understandable that you're worried though. flowers Hoping for a good outcome.

WonderingWomen Mon 16-Oct-17 11:05:12

Thanks. I guess it's because any follow up I've ever needed has taken days to sort, appointment coming in post etc... so the fact he was send straight there made me worry a bit x

TweedAddict Mon 16-Oct-17 11:07:07

Here we have a walk in chest X-ray clinic at the local hospital. It’s in the afternoon so you can have it done the same day the gp does the referral.

TweedAddict Mon 16-Oct-17 11:08:16

Pressed the wrong button.

It’s done this way to cut down on wait times and infections need sorting ASAP for antibiotics

LIZS Mon 16-Oct-17 11:13:05

Yes have had same day referral appointments. Less likely to overlook them.

Teddy7878 Mon 16-Oct-17 11:14:28

Was referred for a scan on my liver after some dodgy blood results within 48 hours once but it was all fine.

Brighteyes27 Mon 16-Oct-17 11:18:22

Yes, sometimes. I once had to this then had to have a repeat X-ray 6 weeks after that and then it was all systems go. I so thankful for the GP's swift reaction in referring.

RB68 Mon 16-Oct-17 11:18:59

Chest xray could be as TB is on the rise again and its a just to make sure (cases are still rare despite the rise). Chest infections can quickly become pneumonia as well if not properly treated so he is being extra careful would be my view.

OllyBJolly Mon 16-Oct-17 11:20:36

Yes - that's the practice here. The GP gives you a letter and you can go straight to the local Xray department and wait in line. It's a great service and saves on so many missed appointments.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Mon 16-Oct-17 11:21:51

No need to worry (too much), op flowers

BitOutOfPractice Mon 16-Oct-17 11:25:54

Yes, it's happened to my DD too (not a chest x-ray but an x-ray yes)

I think the x-ray department is a bit different from other departments because they have a mixture of appointments and walk-ins and emergencies (for obvious reasons).

Hope your DH is OK thanks

OutandIntoday Mon 16-Oct-17 11:28:10

Yes- i got a ticket for the walk in xray clinic and could go that morning if i wanted.

SaturnUranus Mon 16-Oct-17 13:06:43

Yes, it's happened to both me and DD.

On both occasions it turned out to be a chest infection and easily treated with antibiotics.

flowers

NikiBabe Mon 16-Oct-17 13:08:39

Yes. Why wait? confused

The GP needs to know asap what is wrong with any patient why would you wait to go for the xray.

MyrtleMaracas Mon 16-Oct-17 13:19:49

Ime it is unusual. A Dr usually gives me a cxr request form, I then ring up one of the local departments and make an appointment for a few days time.
The fact he was sent on the same day would make me think he has reduced air entry or something else that needed investigating sooner rather than later.

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Mon 16-Oct-17 13:21:51

The x-ray will show if he has pneumonia or another underlying cause. It's better to be safe and get the peace of mind. flowers

DubiousCredentials Mon 16-Oct-17 13:28:59

Standard at our surgery. Hospital is next door too which is handy.

Hope your dh is ok flowers

TonicAndTonic Mon 16-Oct-17 13:36:21

Yes normal in my area anyway, my DP had a chest x ray the other week, he was sent to the hospital's walk-in radiology clinic where you just take a letter from the GP with you, and wait your turn. They didn't find anything!
Be warned, your DH might have to wait several days for the results though as they have to be reviewed by a radiologist and then sent back to your GP (by post in my area!).

flowers hope all's OK.

NeverTwerkNaked Mon 16-Oct-17 13:41:30

Chest x rays are done to look for lots of different possible causes.
If he’s unwell then sooner diagnosis is good.
Hope he get s some answers soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now