Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dark line through ds thumb nail.

(8 Posts)
anditwasalladream Mon 16-Oct-17 09:48:36

Have noticed this morning a dark vertical line going through the middle of ds (11) thumb nail. I have googled and read that it can be a symptom of melanoma but I have read that is also fairly normal in black people over the age of 20. Ds is mixed race. Has anyone else had this as a child or anyone's children had this? Also wondering whether it could be some strange type of bruising?

Stuffofawesome Mon 16-Oct-17 09:50:50

He should get it checked at gp

anditwasalladream Mon 16-Oct-17 09:58:01

Have already booked for next Wednesday, definitely not going to leave it unchecked.

Stuffofawesome Mon 16-Oct-17 12:26:19

Hope it's nothing to worry about

anditwasalladream Tue 17-Oct-17 18:49:12

Hopefully not, just want to get it looked at now sad

WaxyBean Tue 17-Oct-17 18:58:03

Can you post a photo here?

I have a vertical line running up half of my fingernail at the mo - but pretty sure it is from shutting it in a cupboard door at the weekend as it is still tender and wasn't there beforehand.

Ttbb Tue 17-Oct-17 21:06:42

Has he injured himself recently-if so could be a blister. At any rate I would strongly reccomend sorting out some health insurance if you don't have any. The NHS is particularly poor when it comes to cancer treatments. V unlikely though at his age. More likely he got him finder caught ins door, or maybe it's a fungal infection.

anditwasalladream Tue 17-Oct-17 21:29:51

I'm on the android app and there is not an option that I know of to add a photo. Don't think he's had an injury. The line is brown and runs from the top to bottom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now