Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bladder issues post partum

(1 Post)
Rnew01 Mon 16-Oct-17 05:08:03

Hi all, I promised myself that I would write a post in case another desperate new mum was looking for information on this problem. I couldn't find much on it when I was searching, so here goes. At 10 weeks post partum with my second child I suddenly developed urinary frequency that was really troubling, it was like someone was constantly jumping on a full bladder and it was very difficult to take my mind off it. I saw a variety of people and after being treated with antibiotics to rule out a UTI I was told that it could be interstitial cystitis. This diagnosis terrified me and I became very depressed and eventually started taking anti depressants and seeing a therapist.

I had so many questions, I wondered if it was to do with adhesions from my c section scar (which I had chosen due to a terrible first birth with third degree tear) so o blamed myself that maybe I had inadvertently caused this problem.

Anyway, long story short I stopped breastfeeding when my daughter was 9 months and my period returned, as if by magic my bladder problems ceased as quickly as they began. I have found a bit of information online about the effects of low estrogen on the bladder and I think this is what was causing my issues. So I am greatly relieved and I just wanted to give any mamas out there going through the same some hope that it may go after breastfeeding is over. I still am worried that I will suffer from this after menopause but for now I am focusing on the positive that it has gone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now