Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Blisters on my tongue

(33 Posts)
Hairyhat Sun 15-Oct-17 18:50:32

I keep getting the odd blister on my tongue. Does anyone know why? Is it something lacking in my diet? I think I eat healthily, plenty of fruit and veg. I'm veggie. Been on a bit of a diet lately but not drastic just watching my sugar and calorie intake. They are painful and very annoying. Any advice welcome

kbb23 Sun 15-Oct-17 18:54:23

No advice but I keep getting them on the tip of my to fur recently just as it disappears a new one seems to appear...im putting it down to stress could yours be similar

WhoWants2Know Sun 15-Oct-17 18:56:31

Do you have hay fever at all? Oral Allergy Syndrome can cause blisters on the tongue or itchy hives on the roof of your mouth- especially if you are eating lots of raw fruit and veg.

Hairyhat Sun 15-Oct-17 19:57:41

Thanks for the replies. No stress in my life really. I've never really suffered from stress (very lucky I know!). I don't have hay fever either. No itches or hives. I sort of assumed I was run down? But then it occurred to me that someone medical could tell me it was a dietary deficiency. Maybe not huh

Hairyhat Sun 15-Oct-17 19:58:33

Nearly always cook my veg as well. Eat a lot of raw tomatoes though

Hairyhat Sun 15-Oct-17 20:00:22

I have a vague memory of somebody saying years ago to stick salt on a blister on your tongue but have no idea why or even if it was a myth.

Hairyhat Sun 15-Oct-17 20:01:53

Sorry you're suffering too kbb23

Hairyhat Sun 15-Oct-17 20:16:07

I've even been taking painkillers for the stupid things. I suppose I should visit the docs. I just don't like bothering them with such a trivial matter

abigailgabble Sun 15-Oct-17 20:22:54

i have a friend who is allergic to fruit but particularly tomato! they do something to her tongue..

Hairyhat Sun 15-Oct-17 21:10:59

Oh really abi? Perhaps I should ditch toms for a while and see if the blisters clear up? A bit torturous as I love tomatoes ...

esk1mo Sun 15-Oct-17 21:15:32

are they blisters or ulcers? could be a sign of low b12 or low iron, esp if you're veggie.

try corsadyl (not sure if i spelled that right) mouth wash

kbb23 Sun 15-Oct-17 21:19:11

I'd read about the tomato thing too. But would a tomato intolerance suddenly start after years of been fine.
Hairyhat hopefully it's just something trivial and silly

Hairyhat Sun 15-Oct-17 21:20:44

Thanks esk I have no idea if the difference between a blister or ulcer. I'm very ignorant. I shall try mouth wash as I have loads. Thank you

Hairyhat Sun 15-Oct-17 21:22:35

Yes I'm sure I'm low on b12 as I'm veggie. Tend to eat broccoli and dark green veg to try and get enough. No idea it could cause a tongue blister/ulcer if I was deficient

katymac Sun 15-Oct-17 21:25:14

corsadyl always made my ulcers worse

B12, D & Zinc gluconate seem to have fixed mine - but they used to be a perenial problem!

Hairyhat Sun 15-Oct-17 21:25:39

Thanks everyone for the replies. I feel a lot more confident about a cure now. I'll try the tomato ban and mouth wash remedies first.

Hairyhat Sun 15-Oct-17 21:26:25

Ok I'll try tomatos ban first

Hairyhat Sun 15-Oct-17 21:26:47

Thanks katymac

Hairyhat Sun 15-Oct-17 21:28:13

Just as a help, can you explain the difference of an ulcer to a tongue blister please?

Hairyhat Sun 15-Oct-17 21:33:34

Is b12 in red wine because I've been trying to cut down on my moderate drinking (health kick/diet) and would LOVE to hear that I should be allowed it?

katymac Sun 15-Oct-17 21:44:37

Ulcers look more like after the blister has popped - a crater maybe?

Actual blisters are something else I think, could be swollen taste buds or swollen salivery glands (they might be under the tongue)

Can't remember exactly but I spent a long time at the oral health dept.....& the vitamins seem to be their only cure - the consultant said the Zinc was the most important but the others would help

Hairyhat Sun 15-Oct-17 21:51:20

Thanks so much katymac. Yes it's a blister on the top of my tongue usually near the front tip. I will look at zinc and vitamin supplements

PotteringAlong Sun 15-Oct-17 21:53:20

Oral thrush maybe? I get lots of small blisters if I have this. I use the orange daktarin gel.

Hairyhat Sun 15-Oct-17 21:53:22

Kbb23 hope this thread helps you too or that your stress levels can be addressed

Hairyhat Sun 15-Oct-17 21:55:14

Thanks pottering but I only ever seem to get one blister at a time. It clears up then another appears straight away. Rather painful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now