Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Complicated Tooth Extraction

(5 Posts)
littlepinkgiraffe Sat 14-Oct-17 20:49:55

I've got an appointment to have one of my bottom wisdom teeth removed in December.

I'm terrified about it and would prefer not to have it done - I was suffering from it being infected (3 times in a few months). I haven't had an infection for a while now (touch wood) but the dentist has advised it may get infected again so best have it out really. However the roots are extremely close to my nerves apparently.

They've told me the risks - loss of sensation, pins and needles or worst case burning on one side of my jaw and my lower lip.

Can anyone give me your opinions or stories? Especially if you've had a tooth removed that was very close to the nerve?

I'm terrified of the procedure let alone the possible effects?

Ijustlovefood Sat 14-Oct-17 20:52:41

Watching with interest as I have an awkwardly placed back bottom wisdom tooth that will need to be outed one day

littlepinkgiraffe Sun 15-Oct-17 13:07:20

Hopeful bump

grannytomine Sun 15-Oct-17 13:16:00

My DD was in exactly this position a year ago. I talked to a friend who is a HCP, she said it is a bit like the warning lists you get with med and they have to list everything but it is rare for things to go wrong. My DD ended up with the tooth being cut into pieces in the gum and taken out in small pieces. She actually asked for a second opinion and she immediately felt very confident with the second dentist and is so glad she went ahead. She has had no problems at all.

I hope it all works out for you as well.

grannytomine Sun 15-Oct-17 13:17:17

The other thing my DD was told was that if it needed to come out eventually then it was better to do it soon as problems are more likely as you get older and not very old at that. I think the increase started in mid 20s.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now