Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sick fed up of my stupid body - fibromyalgia

(16 Posts)
sweetkitty Sat 14-Oct-17 18:29:34

I know others have it much worse but I just need to vent. This week has been horrendous, I've had a headache for 5 days which turned into a migraine. The back of my neck and shoulders are hurting, my ribs ache and then there's my pelvis which was so sore this morning I was in tears I had shooting pains down my legs as well. Now I feel sick and headachy and have no appetite.

I feel my body is toxic and I know the heachaches are probably due to the tramadol I take for the pelvic pain. The GP just ups the painkillers.

I know there's not much I can do

AnotherBloodyUsername Sat 14-Oct-17 18:43:10

I've suffered for years but I am starting to control the pain a bit - bizarrely by taking various vitamins that I have not been absorbing (possibly due to IBS which often goes hand in hand with FM)

The ones I think have made the most difference are Vit D & B12 (as a spray) Zinc & possibly Methyl Folate......but it's been a bit of experimentation working out which helps

I've gone from 2-3 cocodamol a day to 2 or 3 a month - which has been miraculous

Badders08 Sat 14-Oct-17 18:43:21

Oh sweetkitty sad
We were on a property thread with ypu many moons ago (I was badvoc back then!)
I have fibro too and it's a shitty shitty illness 😡
I've been in agony today with my back - spasms so I can empathise
I will pop more meds before i try and sleep...
What meds are you on? Are you under a consultant?

sweetkitty Sat 14-Oct-17 18:47:57

I'm on tramadol, paracetamol and citalopram.

Was on pregabalin but it didn't help with the pain just made me fat.

Was diagnosed by a consultant rheumatologist 2 years ago since then only see the GP.

In the past I've taken methyl B12, magnesium malate, D-ribose, SAMe maybe I need to try more combinations.

Also have Raynauds constantly cold, extremely sensitive to strong lights/smells and noise, and pain.

Fenced1010 Sat 14-Oct-17 18:48:15

Have you tried doing a keto diet? Not for weight loss but for the condition? Look in to it!

sweetkitty Sat 14-Oct-17 19:23:22

I'm vegetarian bordering on vegan Leto would be difficult for me.

Mandiba Sat 14-Oct-17 20:49:52

Fenced, have you had good results with Keto ?

HmmmHashtag Sat 14-Oct-17 20:57:50

I've been taking L-glutamine to heal my leaky gut which I think is helping with the pain. I also try to exercise and see an osteopath or chiropractor every month

Fenced1010 Sat 14-Oct-17 21:01:32

That could be your problem. Fibromyalgia usually caused by Candida/yeast problem try sacrificing your veganism for your health :-(

Bucketsandspoons Sat 14-Oct-17 21:01:39

So sorry you've had such a crappy day flowers I have a chronic illness although nothing like the pain you have to handle, but I do know what it's like when you feel like you hate body, resent it and for it to feel like a non stop struggle to function, never mind to enjoy life. It's very hard.

Has anyone tried you with acupan instead of the tramadol?

sweetkitty Sun 15-Oct-17 09:00:16

Keto - with respect my fibromyalgia has nothing to do with my diet, it started from SPD I had when pregnant 4 babies in less than 6 years. My bloods always come back perfect.

TooCoolForScool Sun 15-Oct-17 09:18:59

But it might be worth considering surely?

And I speak as a strict vegetarian of decades.

Fenced1010 Sun 15-Oct-17 09:45:31

Of course it has everything to do with your diet. Diet changes hormones as much as pregnancy

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2017/06/13/loris-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-fibromyalgia-ketogenic-success-story/

TooCoolForScool Sun 15-Oct-17 09:50:16

I have never heard of a man with fibro either. Why is this? I privately think a few things but one of my thoughts that I'll air is that there is something hormonal in it.

So Fenced link is worth a read and a ponder

lettuceWrap Sun 15-Oct-17 11:36:31

Toocool.

I have many thoughts on that too. One of them is, men are more likely to be given a "real" diagnosis of something else, and not a "bucket diagnosis" (no offence meant, I've been in the situation of having my symptoms dismissed, solely I believe, because I was a young female).

Also, across the board, women are more likely to get autoimmune/immune conditions, yes probably hormonal but also due to how our immune systems are primed to change in pregnancy.
Another thought I have, is that the above things, combined with modern diet, causes a lot of problems. Women (my observation) tend to eat differently to men, in a way that might be damaging... they eat a lot more low fat "healthy" products which tend to be lower in essential nutrients, but higher in processed carbohydrates/grain fibres, artificial sweeteners and other additives.
IMO none of that is great for gut health and many illnesses and conditions start with a damaged gut.

OP, it's interesting you mention SPD while pregnant. Do you have any other signs of (potential) collagen defect/disorder? I.e. Hyper mobile joints, stretchy skin, paper-tissue scars, bruise easily?
There's a big overlap in collagen disorders such as EDS, OI, "benign" hyper mobility etc and ibs, fibro, ms, me, thyroid, coeliac, and other autoimmune conditions - diet is very much relevant to people with collagen disorders, as the function gut may be affected by the wonky collagen.

Unfortunately, an almost vegan diet is likely to be extremely high in gluten, phytic acid and insoluble grain fibres, and for a lot of people that's not great, for a lot of reasons.

I have a (genetic test confirmed) collagen disorder. Diagnosed in my 40s, after decades of medical problems, many of which were dismissed by hcp as "all in my mind".

About 7 years ago I cut out all gluten containing grains completely, adopting a Paleo diet. I'm not veggie but it is actually possible to do veggie Paleo (have a look at Marksdailyapple blog, it's very good, sensibly written, plenty of veggie advice even if predominately not veggie. Lots of recipes). ALL of my many health niggles reduced significantly or disappeared altogether within a couple of months. They stay away as long as I keep to the diet (I limit even gluten free bread/pasta because they tend to trigger headaches/migraine if eaten regularly, I think it's a reaction to the xanthan gum in them).

My health niggles included- frequent migraines and daily headaches (since mid teens) , balance problems, brain fog, skin problems (strange rashes, deep cystic spots, rosacea), joint and muscle pain, awful fatigue and pain with little or no activity, ibs (since mid teens). I had SPD in each pregnancy to the extent I was walking with sticks and in a LOT of pain.

IF you do decide to give Paleo or Paleo autoimmune protocol (or any other exclusion diet) a trial for a few weeks - it would be sensible to consider having a coeliac screening test BEFORE you cut out gluten, unless you have had a negative test within the last couple of years.

Weathergirl1 Mon 16-Oct-17 13:21:21

Sorry for jumping in on this thread, but I've been looking into Histamine intolerance for myself (different condition - chronic urticaria) but it seems that lots of 'catch all' conditions that the medical profession don't know how to treat or understand the cause of are mentioned with respect to this, including Fibromyalgia, IBS, etc. Histamine is everywhere in the body as it's used for lots of different bodily processes. If your body is exposed to excess histamine (it's in various foodstuffs including aged/fermented meat & dairy, and various fruit and vegetables) and isn't able to process it, then it's thought to cause problems. This may be why various vitamins can help as they are required to make the enzyme the body uses to remove histamine.

Anyway, might be worth looking at this website: www.histamineintolerance.org.uk/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now