Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lump - came then went?

(11 Posts)
Cantthinkofanoriginalname1 Fri 13-Oct-17 23:27:33

I'm not alarmed or need reassuring. Just wondering what the hell it was!
Sat down to lunch today and with the first bite got a horrible sensation right at the back of my mouth , on the left side. It was a bit like if you eat something really acidic but more painful. I put my hand up to the side of my face and felt a lump , high on my jawline, just in front of my ear lobe. I asked my daughter to look and she said that there was a large lump there. I tried to carry on eating but had to chew on the right side and take tiny bites as opening my jaw was painful. After an hour it started to go down and now there is no lump, or pain on opening my mouth but if I press that area it still feels sore.
Any ideas?

DubiousCredentials Sun 15-Oct-17 07:48:50

Could it have been a gland? DH sometimes get ones that show up on his jawline but then move back to where they came from. They are very painful for him but only for a few minutes.

Cantthinkofanoriginalname1 Sun 15-Oct-17 10:46:38

I don't know. My daughter said maybe it was a gland but I thought they became raised due to infection ? Thats why I was asking on here , I know it doesn't need a doctors appointment just want to know what it was. I'm going to google glands now!

Usernom1234567890 Sun 15-Oct-17 22:47:56

Sounds like it could be a Parotid Gland stone.

Cantthinkofanoriginalname1 Mon 16-Oct-17 08:13:18

I looked up Parotid glands but the swellings I saw were enormous , this was between a 5 or 10 pence piece size. As I said , it went down after an hour , that evening it hurt hurt if I pressed that area and the next morning there was nothing , no lump,pain or even sensitivity.
It was quite weird how it came up so suddenly then went again!

Usernom1234567890 Mon 16-Oct-17 22:28:54

Doesn't have to be an enormous swelling by any means .
The typical presentation is a swelling that occurs as soon as the patient begins eating and then slowly reduces -basically following the flow of saliva.

Cantthinkofanoriginalname1 Tue 17-Oct-17 16:20:07

So where does the stone go?

Usernom1234567890 Tue 17-Oct-17 21:50:43

The stone(s) usually sit in the salivary duct or in the gland itself.

Very occasionally the stone (calculi) works it's way out spontaneously but these are the small ones.

CrochetBelle Tue 17-Oct-17 22:18:52

So it's happened more than once?

Cantthinkofanoriginalname1 Wed 18-Oct-17 15:15:37

No, it only happened once. I've been fine all week, no lump or tenderness since Friday.

CrochetBelle Wed 18-Oct-17 15:57:10

Oh, I hadn't noticed the dates on the OP and got confused over the timeline, sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now