Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

New migraine hell

(7 Posts)
Smiler1972 Fri 13-Oct-17 13:29:10

I’ve had the flu and as a result I’ve had my first migraine. Age 44.

GP prescribed sumatriptan and I’m now on day 4 but I don’t know what to expect from the medication.

Should it stop the migraine? If so for how long?

I’m finding it dulls it for around 8 hours but then it comes back. Is this how it works?

Is 4 days an average length for a migraine?

Sorry if basic questions!

Prokupatuscrakedatus Fri 13-Oct-17 15:13:49

Sorry that migraine has got you, too.

Mine lasts for 3 days usually (sufferer for more than 40 years no), DH suffers for almost exactly 16 hours.
A friend has auras, sight problems and nausea but no pain.
So it varies - the medication should stop the pain (not the migraine) - but not all pain killers work for a people and all types of mgraines.

This should give you a link for information:
www.migraine.org.uk

Smiler1972 Fri 13-Oct-17 20:40:56

Thank you. I managed to get an acupuncture appointment that has helped lots. From speaking to people I’m now not sure if it’s migraine or sinus pain.
GP diagnosed migraine but it’s very much like a pressure pain and hurts more if I move.

Rahrahcantdo Fri 13-Oct-17 20:51:17

I suspect sinus as you are able to tolerate a phone screen. Both horrible. Poor you.

TheFairyCaravan Fri 13-Oct-17 21:01:56

Can you take aspirin? Try taking 3 soluble ones in a glass of full fat coke. That works really well sometimesbut it has to be the full fat stuff.

You can take other painkillers alongside the Sumatriptan, so you can add in Co-codomal and/or Ibuprofen or aspirin. You could, also, try an ice pack on your head.

Sometimes I get migraines that go on for 5 or 6 days and my GP gives me an injection of Voltarol to break the cycle which helps a lot.

I hope you feel better soon, it's horrid. 💐

Prokupatuscrakedatus Sat 14-Oct-17 10:52:15

Actually, DH can tolerate screens quite well - it is smells that are a problem for him.

But I second the idea that it could be a sinus problem.

Best wishes.

allypally999 Sun 15-Oct-17 15:08:52

Mine used to last exactly 3 days every time and pain was in same place (over right eye). Sometimes sick, always sensitive to noise and light. If medication works then its migraine is what I have always understood to be the case. Worse when you move sounds like sinuses - I have that too and that's a harder fix with tons of medication choices - good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now