Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Anyone else experience this?

(12 Posts)
Possibleyoungmum17 Thu 12-Oct-17 20:33:14

Okay so I am currently 18! And I have not yet been to the doctors about this. I’m making an appointment for next week. So a couple of months ago I started getting really painful period cramps 2 weeks before I was due on my period. I thought that was normal so I didn’t take any notice of it. They then got a lot worse to the point of not being able to move when I was actually on my period. Then every single day between that period and the next I was getting period pains. They then have continued from that period until today and are as painful. I just wanted to be sure of if there was anything I had to be worried about and if anyone else had or is experiencing the same thing?

Thank you smile

WomblingThree Fri 13-Oct-17 06:55:03

Google Mittelschmerz and see if it sounds like that.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 13-Oct-17 07:25:44

Severe period pains up to (and sometimes during) menses like you describe can be caused by endometriosis. Any mid cycle and/or cyclical pain should be checked out thoroughly to ascertain the underlying cause.

Mittelschermz does not last for days on end and is more like a sharp stinging pain on one side. It does not cause such cramping.

I would start keeping a daily pain and symptom diary if you do not already do so and be showing this to a gynaecologist. This will also help you recall all the symptoms at the time. What you describe symptom wise is outside a GPs remit in any case and your GP should refer you to a gynaecologist for further evaluation. Do not be fobbed off with only pills because of your age, seek the cause as well as treating the symptoms. You will need to be persistent in order to get answers. 18 is not too young for endometriosis; I had similar severe pains from the age of 14.

ForeverHopeful21 Fri 13-Oct-17 14:21:58

You're doing the right thing by going to see your GP but do not leave without being referred for further investigation.
I've had endometriosis for 11 years and only had it diagnosed earlier this year. I went to various GPs over the years and not one offered me any help. I'm not saying that you have endometriosis but I am saying that sometimes they very easily brush it off as 'bad cramps' or once I was told that it was probably an STI ....which it wasn't!!

I was only diagnosed by chance and have since had surgery which should have been done many years ago if I've been brave enough to push the doctors in to helping me.

As for the pain in the meantime, make sure that you're taking ibuprofen and paracetamol - I would take the max dose as well as using hot water bottle which would take the edge off x

Possibleyoungmum17 Fri 13-Oct-17 21:34:01

The pain is constant and makes me feel sick sometimes. Most of the time the pain is accompanied by nausea and headaches. So I’m not sure if something is wrong or what?

Possibleyoungmum17 Fri 13-Oct-17 21:35:35

Also I do take paracetamol regularly but it doesn’t touch the pain or discomfort. I have been told by my doctors on my previous visit to not take ibuprofen as it does not help the abdominal area x

ForeverHopeful21 Sat 14-Oct-17 08:40:44

I have been told by my doctors on my previous visit to not take ibuprofen as it does not help the abdominal area

I'm no doctor but I found taking both paracetamol and ibuprofen together was the only way of taking the edge off never got rid of the pain completely but it definitely helped. I would start taking them days before my period started which was the very best way of combating the worst pains which was during my period, but if your pain is constant then yeah that's probably really tricky. There are stronger over the counter pain killers out there but usually they only recommend you take them for 5 days.

So why don't you just call GP for an urgent same day appointment? They may just offer you a telephone consultation but better than nothing if you're really struggling.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 14-Oct-17 09:15:56

The dosing with pills and hot water bottle is what I used to do in the days before my endometriosis was diagnosed. Used to feel sick with it as well.

Do not leave that GP surgery without a referral; do not take no for an answer here.

bigfatbumfreak Sat 14-Oct-17 09:25:21

You may have an ovarian cyst, but you really need to see a GP.

Possibleyoungmum17 Tue 17-Oct-17 08:43:12

Went to the doctors yesterday and he said it was nothing so carry on as normal.

sadie9 Tue 17-Oct-17 10:23:41

Sorry to hear the GP told you it was 'nothing'. Well, it's not nothing is it? You have severe pain affecting your quality of life. I know myself when you are in the GP's office it's very difficult to argue a case for yourself. Is there anyone else who could go back with you? A parent or an aunt, as it can help to have someone help you make a case for a referral to a gynae.
The GP might be dismissive of a young person on their own. Or if there is a women's health clinic near you, that's another option to get advice.

Possibleyoungmum17 Mon 23-Oct-17 07:35:41

Hi guys I had to phone 111 yesterday as I was in agony. Turns out the pain I’ve been having for the past couple of months was a bladder infection and this week i also developed a urine infection.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: