Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any fibromyalgia sufferers here?

(21 Posts)
mintmagnummm Thu 12-Oct-17 07:58:53

If so do you mind me asking what medication works for you?

wfrances Thu 12-Oct-17 16:23:09

im on 20 mg nortriptyline , paracetamol and 30 mg / 60 mg codeine .
i also have tramadol (rarely use )and can get oramorph if needed.

TheQueenOfDuisburg Thu 12-Oct-17 16:40:57

My fibro symptoms are mainly neurological, i dont really get pain, just stiff and very achey, so i take a very low dose of Gabapentin and a OTC co-codamol one dose every morning to get moving.

butterfly198615 Thu 12-Oct-17 16:43:31

At the moment I'm taking ibuprofen, amitriptyline and cocodamol. Not that it helps much just take the edge off. I know there are others I could try but until it gets very unbearable I'll stick to these meds for now.
I find Epsom salt baths and hot water bottles or heat rub on where the pain is but it's a pain in the arse and the heat rub stinks.
I tried naproxen and it didn't do anything for the pain. So went back to ibuprofen.

Gentle Hugs

clairethewitch70 Thu 12-Oct-17 16:44:01

Oxycodone & high strength codeine & paracetamol. Tried amitriptyline, nortriptyline, gapapentin, lyrica, plaqanil, venlafaxine etc - none of these worked for me. The only other thing that worked was prednisolone.

Badders08 Thu 12-Oct-17 17:46:49

Paracetamol
Nortriptyline
Co codamol
Nefapam

Badders08 Thu 12-Oct-17 17:53:47

Oh and magnesium spray and an electric blanket

mintmagnummm Thu 12-Oct-17 19:30:50

Thanks everyone so far. I'm currently taking amitriptyline, co-dydramol (co-codamol makes me feel terrible), and ibuprofen when needed. Mine is mostly neurological too and get bad pains in my neck, shoulder and back. Also suffer Terrible migraines.
My doc has just prescribed sertraline too but I don't think I want to take another pill. As the above poster said the 3 I'm on don't overly help but do take the edge off and don't give me bad side effects like most other things I've tried! So would rather just stick to them for now. Naproxen didn't work for me either, it didn't touch the pain at all!
What is this nortriptyline??
Also those of you who are on amitriptyline what dose are you on? This stuff really helps me sleep!

Hugs to all of you suffering flowers

TheQueenOfDuisburg Thu 12-Oct-17 19:44:17

Its a shit illness, isnt it? I would do anything for some decent sleep! I havent slept properly in years, i fall straight to sleep within a minute of lying down i am that knackered, but am wide awake an hour later and then i just snooze on and off for the rest of the night, and am so exhausted in the morning, have to drag myself up. I dont work anymore, had to pack it in as i just cannot physically do it anymore

Badders08 Thu 12-Oct-17 20:25:16

Nortriptyline is son-of-amitriptyline

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Thu 12-Oct-17 20:31:36

pregabalin (lowish dose - 50 mg 3x a day) and amitriptyline (25mg at 7pm with a 9pm bedtime - any different and I'm hungover all the next day).

Codeine makes me throw up, and I need omperazole if I take NSAIDs, except the GP won't let me have omperazole any more, so it's paracetamol if I need anything else.

My biggish issue (now that the rheumatologist said I could increase the pregabalin to three times a day rather than 2 AND doubled the dose each time, which the GP refused to do) is brain fog. It's partly the fibro, partly the pregabalin and partly balance issues following labyrinthitus last year. Can't remember a thing,which comes in handy for zombie threads, as I get the enjoyment of a good one second time around as well wink.

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Thu 12-Oct-17 20:32:51

am also trialling magnesium malate tablets which are bloody enormous, and apparently it takes two months to see if they work. Only two weeks in so far.

clairethewitch70 Sat 14-Oct-17 22:31:37

Nortriptylline is amitriptyline without the drowsiness. Amitriptyline knocked me for six with the drowsiness lasting all day so that I could not function at work.

mintmagnummm Sun 15-Oct-17 07:58:39

I found a comparison site for nortriptyline vs amitriptyline and ill be sticking with amitriptyline! I need something for the days I have a migraine attack as my co-dydramol and ibuprofen don't touch it!

Badders08 Sun 15-Oct-17 09:57:56

Visions...love your nn btw smile

Pixiedust1973 Tue 17-Oct-17 23:03:21

I have co-codamol, (strongest) robaxin, (muscle relaxants) gabapentin & sometimes ibuprofen, (but I shouldn't really coz of stomach damage) sometimes I use cbd oil capsules too. i find my heat patch works well. Oh and Algesal cream.

Leela2 Wed 18-Oct-17 20:39:48

Paracetamol and codeine, Gabapentin, Amytriptaline, Sumatriptan for migraine, patches and cream similar to deep heat, can't remember names. Buscopan and Imodium, CBD oil but not convinced it works. Alcohol on Very Bad Days....I know I know, do not mix with meds. Tried Cymbalta but side effects too bad and seemed to stop working after two years. I am a single mum, working, but so close to giving up, I hate my life. I also have something wrong with my back that the Dr's cant be bothered to sort as they'd only give me same pills. Hopefully going to see private consultant soon. I hate this.

RupertsMum2 Wed 18-Oct-17 21:14:11

I take fluoxetine, naproxen, ranitidine, amitriptyline, magnesium, flexiqule, zopilcone (7 every 6-8 weeks) vitamins B12 and D. I can't take ibuprofen (wheezing) and use occasional paracetamol. I didn't think the naproxen did anything but stopped taking it and I was marginally more sore so am taking it again. I don't work anymore. I just couldn't keep going. A 30 year career down the drain. However there are many worse off than me.

SnowBallsAreHere Wed 18-Oct-17 21:20:53

30mg nortriptyline & OTC painkillers. Usually it's enough-ish. Until I do something stupid and overdo it. Like now, all I did was paint a wall. Another 5 to go. But I'm on the sofa with a heat pack in agony. And think it's probably better just to pay someone to do household crap.

ilovewelshrarebit123 Wed 18-Oct-17 21:37:24

Hi, hope you don’t mind me crashing this thread.

Can I please ask you how long did it take to get a fybro diagnosis. My GP can’t get to the bottom of my pain and they just repeat blood tests which they say are normal.

I’m thinking I could have fibromyalgia and a friend who has it thinks the same.

GP hasn’t mentioned it, should I and insist on being referred to a consultant.

I’m sorry you all have to take so many meds’ with no real relief flowers

Pixiedust1973 Wed 18-Oct-17 23:08:30

ilovewelshrarebit123 It took me over 25 years to get diagnosed. I first saw a GP about pain when I was 17 but was constantly fobbed off until finally I saw a locum GP when I was 42 who suggested fibromyalgia, which I'd never heard of before then! I was finally diagnosed about 2 years ago, just before my 43rd birthday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now