Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Advice about the NHS

(4 Posts)
Julieelizabeth5 Wed 11-Oct-17 21:09:32

Hi all, I would like some advice, I am 20 years old, since I was 5 (since 2002) I have been suffering with seizures, the first few seizures I had, my parents took me to the doctors and they always put it down to “migraine shock” as I’ve always suffered with migraines, when I was 10 (Boxing Day 2007) I suffered a really bad seizure which required an ambulance to come out to me as I was unresponsive, still getting put down to migraine shock... I got put on a medication called beta blockers when I was 12-13 years old to help with the migraines, cut a long story short, 4-5 different medications later and now 18 years old, the doctors FINALLY decided to refer me to the hospital for brain scans to determine why I was actually having these seizures, turned out I am epileptic, which had been untreated for 13 years, diagnosed and started being treated at the age of 19 years old, and now have tissue damage to the back of my brain due to not being treated for so long, I have had numerous people telling me that this was “NHS Negligance” and that I should sue the NHS... But it’s daunting me that the NHS wouldn’t help me anymore when I need them, how many of you would go through with suing the NHS after 14 years of mistreatment?

Jasminedes Wed 11-Oct-17 21:13:04

The NHS will still treat you after a complaint or court case - if there was negligence, your case my improve care for others. And if you have a disability or health impairment as a result of this, you should be compensated. However, take sensible advice about the prospect of winning your case, as it is a complex area. Sorry for your situation, I hope you work it out.

Silvercatowner Wed 11-Oct-17 23:08:04

I investigated suing for a condition that was mismanaged and which has resulted in a minor disability. I had an hour's free consultation with a legal firm that specialised in this type of issue. To sue successfully you need to establish that the treatment you received was actually negligent (as opposed to inappropriate - unfortunately everyone makes mistakes) and that is decided by expert consultants in that particular field. The process is, of course, incredibly expensive and for a law firm to take this on on your behalf there needs to be some certainty of success. My case was borderline and although the law firm would have supported me I would have had to pay for the specialist input - which was thousands. I chose not to proceed.

Ellapaella Thu 12-Oct-17 16:41:59

What investigations were actually done in the early days? How was the incorrect diagnosis of migraine shock made? Did you actually see a neurologist or have any formal investigations as a child? If not I would suggest your Gp has been negligent in not making an appropriate referral. Your parents really should have insisted on pursuing a diagnosis as well to be honest but I suppose they didn’t know any better.
It would be wise to make a formal complaint first and ask for a response from the people you feel let you down - if you were never referred to neurology as a child and your parents had discussed your seizures with your Gp then I would suggest starting with the GP practice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: