Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

TSH level 1.38

(5 Posts)
cantcoperightnow Wed 11-Oct-17 11:55:40

What would anyone think of a TSH level of 1.38 in someone with symptoms mirroring thyroid disorders but the person is told it’s normal? I think the ranges around here are 0.3-5 not sure exactly tho.

timeistight Wed 11-Oct-17 13:34:30

What else have you had tested?

A TSH of 1.38 with low in range FT4 and FT3 could be indicative of secondary hypothyroidism, for which the NICE CKS recommends an immediate referral to an endocrinologist. This is more common than many doctors will allow and the treatment is the same as primary hypothyroidism, which is what most people have, but you can't diagnose it by TSH alone.

Do you have an FT4 result and reference range?

Alternatively, thyroid disease has lots of non-specific symptoms that can be mirrored by vitamin deficiencies.

I think we may need more information.

cantcoperightnow Wed 11-Oct-17 20:06:42

I don’t think I’ve ever had my FT4 tested.

I’ve had symptoms for 5 years. Heres the list of results from over the 5 years Starting from the very first test.

cantcoperightnow Wed 11-Oct-17 20:07:14

All those a TSH results from the last 5 years.

timeistight Thu 12-Oct-17 13:18:05

Probably not as TSH is within range, which is precisely why secondary hypothyroidism doesn't get diagnosed.

You may need to look at private testing to rule a thyroid issue in or out. The people on the ThyroidUK forum on www.healthunlocked.com are your friends with this sort of thing.

I hope you can get some answers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now