Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Juggling

(4 Posts)
pompomcat Tue 10-Oct-17 19:43:53

Would you be able to share with me your tips for making time for things that make you happy? (eg spending time with family/friends or hobbies/downtime?) Also, how to make the most of the spare time you do have?

I am not a DailyFail journalist, promise-just a thirtysomething who feels that life is passing her by confused
It feels that I am either at work (I have a challenging office based job but that's a whole other thread!) travelling to and from work or doing (the bare minimum) housework-permanently tired, grumpy, overweight and it feels like Mr PomPomCat and I are ships in the night.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Tue 10-Oct-17 22:10:11

How do you commute? I used to commute by train so I’d listen to audiobooks and TED talks on my phone and crochet while on the train. Or read a book.

Do you get a proper lunch break? I also used to take my lunch to the nearby park if it wasn’t raining.

I know it’s rather a cliché but have you tried mindfulness? I do a ten minute mindfulness meditation each day (Headspace app) and it really makes me feel refreshed and seems to make the rest of the day go more smoothly!

Sorry I’m not sure any of that really answered your question but I’ll post anyway as if nothing else it’ll bump your post and hopefully you’ll get some more useful replies! smile

pompomcat Tue 10-Oct-17 22:36:07

Thanks v much @WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo smile
All good points. Have tried Headspace before but didn't stick with it, will try again! I didn't even think about using my commute shock It's about 40m each way (either I sit next to Mr PomPomCat whilst he moans at the traffic or I get the bus that takes an incredibly circuitous route! Either way I should do more than send the odd text or worry about work!

Loopytiles Tue 10-Oct-17 22:42:34

I find it helpful to work out how to get regular time slots for leisure, eg Wed evening and Sun morning, in my case exercise as it is great for my mental health.

DH shares the domestic work and parenting.

I am ruthless at work about skipping pointless meetings and prioritising, not working overtime. This has been bad for my career as am competing with people who work much longer hours, but is good for me and the family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now