Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Feel like I'm walking through fog

(6 Posts)
peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 10-Oct-17 11:57:24

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I can't carry on this way. Ever since having my second child four months ago I feel like I can't keep my eyes open, am walking through fog, it's a great effort to get up and moving. I have had hypothyroidism for around five years and am taking 175mcg thyroxine currently. I had my levels checked a couple of months ago as it sounds like classic thyroid symptoms, but my TSH was perfect - around 1! My iron levels were also pretty much ideal, so I'm not anaemic.
Of course it's tricky having two children, but they both sleep well. I average about 5-7 hours sleep at night, and my DH is supportive and gets up with them in the mornings etc.
I also have longstanding MH issues for which I currently take 200mg sertraline. I recently told my psychiatrist that I feel as though I'm in withdrawal sometimes - that floaty brain sappy dizzy feeling you get when you miss taking your tablets (but I never forget at the moment), but she wasn't interested.
It's such an effort to get to the GP (and I'm always there for DS2 whenever we can get an appointment) that I thought I'd put feelers out and see if it struck a chord with anyone here first. I feel like I've hit a brick wall with my own ideas.
I try to eat and drink enough (breastfeeding) and I don't drive so I walk 3-5 miles a day just doing the school run, so getting exercise and not just vegetating. I'm very overweight, which I can't seem to do anything about, not helped by my thyroid, but I'm exactly the same weight as I've been for about ten years, I never go up or down.
Blah! Any ideas? I'm so tired at the moment that I've got a headache every day and I fall asleep for minutes at a time while I'm feeding the baby.

DubiousCredentials Tue 10-Oct-17 13:52:41

Dh was very much the same. Finally diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency. It took a long time for anyone to take him seriously. I think b12 deficiency can cause similar symptoms. They’re not screened for in standard bloods so may have been missed. See your gp and ask for investigations flowers

peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 10-Oct-17 14:16:20

Thanks dubious, does your DH take supplements? I take a multivitamin (Bionta) but would a deficiency require a higher dose than is found in multivitamins?

DubiousCredentials Tue 10-Oct-17 14:45:50

Yes he was prescribed Fultium by the gp which he will need to take for six months minimum. It’s taken two months for him to perk up though so it’s no miracle cure sadly.

DubiousCredentials Tue 10-Oct-17 14:47:02

And he dose he takes is 3 x 800UI a day. Not sure how that relates to non prescription supplements.

EllenRipley Tue 10-Oct-17 18:59:03

I think a good starting point would be to get vit D and B12 levels checked, as others have suggested. And though you’re not anaemic, I would get your serum ferritin levels checked, make sure if they’re not 50 or over that you get some iron supplements - low ferritin can make you feel just as crap as anaemia. Hormones, diet/food sensitivities might also be worth looking into?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now