Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Diagnosis of PCOS?

(10 Posts)
AnotherBloodyUsername Tue 10-Oct-17 08:21:06

DD (20) is having investigations for a never ending period (14 weeks and no end in sight) - during the ultrasound they said her ovaries were covered in tiny cysts.

I'm presuming that as she is displaying none of the other symptoms, PCOS is unlikely; but I have to admit I only have a very basic knowledge of the condition

Can anyone clarify?

Room101isWhereIUsedtoLive Tue 10-Oct-17 08:24:56

PCOS can vary hugely between people in terms of symptoms.
Having been diagnosed three/four years ago, I have come to the conclusion that its a general catch all term for 'there is something wrong with your hormones, probably to do with producing too much testosterone but how it varies between people and how we treat it, is a bit of a guessing game'.
hmm

AnotherBloodyUsername Tue 10-Oct-17 08:32:31

Oh right!

That makes life easy not

So I guess we have a 2 pronged attack looking for endometriosis or PCOS

Poor poppet isn't coping tremendously well atm

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 10-Oct-17 08:41:17

PCOS is a very individualistic disorder that affects each woman with it very differently so a problem for one woman may not be for another. The commonality though is the cystic follicles on the ovaries. Polycystic ovaries can also be larger than a "normal" sized ovary which is about walnut size.

Verity's website on PCOS is a useful read:-

www.verity-pcos.org.uk/

Have they done blood tests as well to date?.

AnotherBloodyUsername Tue 10-Oct-17 08:46:04

As far as I am aware only to check if she was aneamic (she wasn't but has very low iron)

SHe went all assertive on the phone yesterday and got some medication to stop the bleeding and a referral to a gynae - so I guess now we wait for the appt

Anatidae Tue 10-Oct-17 08:47:43

Make sure they check her pituitary as well.

AnotherBloodyUsername Tue 10-Oct-17 08:51:53

Pituitary? How do they check that?

What blood tests should she be asking for?

Sorry - I only get to make suggestions (& hold hans during scans) I'm not "in charge" any more!!

Anatidae Tue 10-Oct-17 13:19:49

They would do some hormone tests. LH, androgens, FAI (free androgen index) prolactin etc. The pituitary is the ‘master’ controller of many hormonal processes.

There are other conditions that can mimic PCOS (adrenal issues and pituitary issues.) small benign pituitary tumours are not uncommon and very treatable. It needs to be ruled out anyway.

I would get her to ask them:

What is causing the problem (obs they don’t know, but this leads on to..,)

Do you think it’s pcos?
Why?
Can you be sure it’s not a condition that mimics pcos?
Why?
Have you checked my adrenals and pituitary gland?
If it is pcos how can I treat it?

There’s also a big link between pcos and insulin resistance - if she’s at all overweight then weight loss and higher intensity training can be beneficial. Of course that’s a delicate subject for a teen girl so broach delicately- perhaps look at ways of lowering insulin resistance in a healthy way rather than focusing on weight (low GI diet, intermittent fasting, excercise etc.)

AnotherBloodyUsername Fri 13-Oct-17 20:10:35

Thanks Anatidae, I have PM'd you with more info I hope you don't mind

Sorry I fell on MN for a couple of days

She gets a choose & book letter on Monday so we will see how quickly she can be seen, as we may have to go private due to the upcoming work placement

The meds the GP gave her are not improving things at all & she is even more down now

AnotherBloodyUsername Fri 13-Oct-17 20:18:41

Sorry I shoud have @Anatidae as it's been so long since you posted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now