Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.


(12 Posts)
AuntLydia Mon 09-Oct-17 19:31:19

I went for a run today and about half way through had the slight sensation you get when a tampon has worked it's way too low down. Only I wasn't wearing one. I had a little fumble around and I think I feel a slight bulge at the front of my vagina. I have also been having pain in my pelvis and between the legs lately on my longer run.

So do I need to get this checked out by a Dr or do I need to just work on my pelvis floor first to see if that helps? I have downloaded the squeezy app.

MollyHuaCha Mon 09-Oct-17 20:23:18

Pelvic floor!

sadie9 Mon 09-Oct-17 20:56:32

It'd be no harm to get the GP to check it out. If you have a prolapse, even mild, then running isn't a great exercise as it will only make things worse. Because you are banging onto the ground with some force, it will be making a sagging bladder more saggy.
The pelvic floors will definitely help, but it may take a few months before you feel a decent improvement (as in, never or rarely feel it).
Prolapses are not dangerous or life-threatening but they can encroach on your quality of life to a mild or major degree...
A specialist women's physio would also help to advise you and monitor progress.

AuntLydia Mon 09-Oct-17 21:09:09

Thanks for the replies. I think you're right and I'd best speak to the gp. I've been training hard for a race in a few weeks so I guess I need to know exactly what the risk is of me still going ahead and doing it. I had hoped the pelvic floor exercises would work more quickly than that - in time to counter act any damage done by running the race. Bugger. I'm happy to stop/cut right back on the running in the long term, just not quite yet!

Star141 Mon 09-Oct-17 21:59:52

Hi aunt
I have this. Small buldge at the front a mild bladder prolapse.
It just feels spongy and is visible with a mirror.
Physiology and gp told me that all women have something like this after a baby and everything has stretched. I don't know if this was a fob off or not. But it's worth asking your gp and getting a referral. The physio does help but it takes a while to strengthen the muscles up.

AuntLydia Tue 10-Oct-17 08:03:46

Thanks star. I'm going to ring today. It does seem pretty mild I think, I'm not suffering any incontinence (yet) and after a Google to see what it looks like mine doesn't look anything like the photos. Fingers crossed I've caught this in time to sort it fairly easily

PollyPerky Tue 10-Oct-17 08:52:58

I had a prolapse repair and some years later tried gentle running and felt it all going south again. I was told by a gynae and physio never to run again, or do any bouncy high impact exercises ever.

You do risk it getting worse, so you need to have it looked at and stop running.

MollyHuaCha Tue 10-Oct-17 10:55:00

Polly - no running or aerobics ever again...? sad

PollyPerky Tue 10-Oct-17 11:27:10

High impact = where both feet are off the ground at the same time. That includes running, jogging, star jumps, certain floor exercises including a lot of Pilates.

The website of physio Michelle Kenway is very helpful- lots of photos etc of what are safe and not safe exercises.

AuntLydia Tue 10-Oct-17 11:38:33

Wow, pilates too? I would have thought that was ideal for a prolapse!

PollyPerky Tue 10-Oct-17 11:49:46

AuntLydia Tue 10-Oct-17 12:02:36

Thank you! That Michelle Kenway website is excellent too. Just waiting on a call back from my gp. I certainly won't do any running at all until I have some proper medic advice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: