Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone had a persistent cough that’s turned out to be nothing serious?

(17 Posts)
GoodLittleWitch Mon 09-Oct-17 13:17:01

Been coughing for what feels like forever and can’t get a gp appointment until next week. My mum scared me on the phone telling me this could be serious. I’m a young, non smoker. Should I be worried? Or could this just be a cough that’s taking a while to shift?

Drinaballerina Mon 09-Oct-17 13:18:56

Dh has had a cough for about 6 weeks. He went to the doctor and was told lungs are fine, just a particularly nasty cough.

GoodLittleWitch Mon 09-Oct-17 13:19:55

I’ve had it for at least 8 weeks sad hope your DH is feeling better soon flowers

pickledparsnip Mon 09-Oct-17 13:21:58

My mum has had a cough for over a decade. Seriously. Something to do with a sinus drip and an acid reflux thing (doesn't hurt apparently).

Am sure you'll be fine. Try not to panic.

hannah1992 Mon 09-Oct-17 13:22:02

Yes me! Everytime I get a cold I seem to have a cough that lingers for weeks. The gp said to me that if the cough has come from nowhere and it's a cough on its own get it checked. If you have a cold and a cough together it's more likely to be a left over from the virus.

Acornantics Mon 09-Oct-17 13:22:05

There seems to be a lot of this going around, with no serious consequences for most people. Probably best to see GP and request a chest x-ray to ease your mind.

ErrolTheDragon Mon 09-Oct-17 13:22:29

Yes, its not that uncommon to get a persistent cough which takes a while to clear up. Occasionally however, it can be a symptom of something serious.

So while there is no reason for you to be worried, it is perfectly sensible to have a checkup.

Zisterhood Mon 09-Oct-17 13:23:44

Yes, had chest x ray and given in haler to use as had cough for 3 months. In the end doctor said it was a virus.

MrMeeseekscando Mon 09-Oct-17 13:24:06

Yes! A year of non stop coughing, loads of antibiotics, chest xrays etc.
Turns out it was acid indigestion irritating my oesophagus and was fixed with omeprazole. I rarely get any other symptoms. Just the cough!

Longdistance Mon 09-Oct-17 13:24:51

I've got that cough. I'm asthmatic, so thought it was a chest infection. Went to see doc on Wednesday, and she'd seen loads of people with the same cough. Clear chest, but a horrible hack.

She said it was viral, and needed for it to just clear on its own.

turkeyboots Mon 09-Oct-17 13:24:53

Had a cough for 3 months earlier this year, post nasal drip was the final verdict and cleared up after short course of nasal steroids.

Acornantics Mon 09-Oct-17 13:26:13

Just adding, if anyone has a cough and also a temp, fever and vomiting, don't leave it to chance or think it's 'just flu'.

I've just spent time in hospital with pneumonia and am at home recovering after nasty infection. Early 40s, fit and healthy, lifelong non smoker. Get it checked out sooner rather than later.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 09-Oct-17 13:27:38

Yes, the winter before last, went on for a few months. Did see the gp, who did loads of testing including a lung X-ray. Nothing came up as untoward, and it eventually went. I think I'm just prone to coughs, tend to have a lengthy one in the winter at some stage.

FiddlesticksRiddlesticks Mon 09-Oct-17 13:34:25

My long term cough was down to Citalapram. If you are on any medication, it might be worth looking at the side effects listed on the leaflet. It took mNy trips to the docs, chest X-ray and horrendous anxiety before it was thought to look at my meds as the cause. The anxiety is still there, and I had to stop my mess but the cough isn't though 😀

HellsBellsnBucketsofBlood Mon 09-Oct-17 13:36:04

5 years. Eventually got very mild asthma diagnosis and with an inhaler i am fine.

Neolara Mon 09-Oct-17 21:33:49

Yes. I had a cough that lasted about 2 months. Went away all by itself eventually..

Nifflerbowtruckle Mon 09-Oct-17 21:35:13

Yep had a chest x ray which was fine. I came off the pill and it went. I didn’t realise a cough is a uncommon side effect of the pill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now