Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

White spots on tonsils but no tonsils

(4 Posts)
Hjb2410 Sun 08-Oct-17 11:07:27

I've been feeling pretty crappy, run down and ill this last week and the only way I can describe how I've been feeling is like having tonsillitis which believe me I suffered a lot with which led to me having to have my tonsils removed on 2nd June 2017; so I am only four months post op and I know it can take up to 12 months to be fully healed.

However I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with having tonsils removed and then getting white spots again?

If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it smile

Thank you xx

JackieMac77 Sun 08-Oct-17 13:28:36

I had my tonsils removed due to recurrent tonsillitis, but still continued getting throat infections in the small amount of tonsillar tissue which remained after the op, and elsewhere in the throat. That was the reason why my GP was reluctant to send me for tonsillectomy, but my tonsils were large and I ended up with a quinsy, so that's why I had it done. Eventually the frequency of infections decreased, mainly due to getting older and lifestyle changes (avoiding stress and sleep deprivation....I know wink, and changing job from teaching where I had to talk and project my voice all day).

Hjb2410 Sun 08-Oct-17 13:58:34

@JackieMac77 thank you for your message.
So it is normal to experience infections after tonsil removal? When you had further infections were you given antibiotics?

I'm so frustrated I thought having my tonsils removed would solve all my problems but I guess I've got to to play the waiting game for 12 months of recovery

JackieMac77 Sun 08-Oct-17 14:56:10

I was given antibiotics a few times if I had the white spots and raging temperature that indicated a bacterial infection. Generally though, I coped with Dequacaine, which I think is discontinued now. Even now, nearly 20 years on, my throat is still my achilles heel health-wise, but being rid of the tonsils means I don't worry about my airways closing up. My GP did warn me that I'd probably still get throat infections and it was only the size of the tonsils and severity of infections that meant they were better out than in. Nowadays I cope by taking Tyrozettes, gargling with aspirin and have an early night when I feel a throat infection coming on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now