Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What period problems can and can't be diagnosed by an ultrasound?

(26 Posts)
AnotherBloodyUsername Sat 07-Oct-17 08:44:29

The GP has sent DD for tests, so far polyps, cysts & endometriosis have been discussed

She is having an ultrasound - what can they diagnose or rule out with that scan?

TIA

PollyPerky Sat 07-Oct-17 09:40:20

pretty much all of what you have posted. Endo sometimes requires a laparoscopy to be sure.

Scans can show ovaries, tubes, cervix, womb lining.

Depends on whether it's a vaginal scan or an over the tummy one; first gives more info.

RandomMess Sat 07-Oct-17 09:49:29

Although in a few friends experiences these things can still get missed!

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 07-Oct-17 10:07:31

An external ultrasound will detect very little. An internal ultrasound scan will show polyps, the thickness of uterine lining, fallopian tubes and the ovaries. I have had more internal ultrasound scans than I care to mention and NONE of these detected the endometriosis throughout my uterine cavity.

AnotherBloodyUsername Sat 07-Oct-17 10:08:50

I think she is having both (at least both have been discussed)

I am concerned about things being missed....

AnotherBloodyUsername Sat 07-Oct-17 10:10:52

Is this likely to be the first in a series of tests - or is it more likely she will be sent away for a while (to see if it gets better) if nothing specific isfound?

Groovee Sat 07-Oct-17 10:15:25

It wasn’t until I had a hysteroscopy that they realised I had an abnormal womb lining.

EllenRipley Sat 07-Oct-17 10:17:25

They won’t see any endometriosis, only surgery can confirm that (they suspected that with me but I actually had scar tissue - and a couple of small cysts that were picked up during ultrasound then a CAT scan). They can see fibroids, cysts and possibly polyps. Ultrasounds and possibly a CA125 blood test will be indicators that there’s something going on and a hysteroscopy (where they put a wee camera up inside your uterus) can check for/confirm certain things in utero. Hope you’re ok! X

EllenRipley Sat 07-Oct-17 10:25:06

Oh sorry, misread - hope your DD is ok.

AnotherBloodyUsername Sat 07-Oct-17 11:01:55

Thanks she is having a never ending period and is quite run down

So we may need to make a fuss if nothing shows up

EllenRipley Sat 07-Oct-17 11:42:26

Oh heck, poor girl. Hormone imbalance maybe? I’m sure if she is having bleeding that they’ll be thorough with their investigations. Make sure she takes iron supplements though, becoming anaemic is the last thing she needs aswell x

AnotherBloodyUsername Sat 07-Oct-17 11:57:54

She has been told she has very low iron but she isn't anemic

She is taking Spatone, Floradix, Vit C, Vit D, & B12

But a 13 week period is ridiculous

Groovee Sat 07-Oct-17 13:46:46

I bled Daily from January until 2 days post surgery in July. To be honest, they didn’t really care that much. Just kept saying I should consider a mirena coil 🙄

cornerstoned Sat 07-Oct-17 14:29:01

unless you have endometriosis cysts, it would t show up on a scan. endometriosis is usually diagnosed and removed via laparoscopy.

also, if her iron is rock bottom then spatone won't do anything at all. she needs a proper supplement (e.g. ferrous sulphate) though best to treat the underlying cause. we bleeding non stop, no wonder her iron is down.

EllenRipley Sat 07-Oct-17 14:44:55

That attitude makes me so mad @Groovee .
I saw a doctor years ago about bleeding and when I asked if it could be hormonal she said ‘no, of course not’ then proceeded to offer me the coil as a solution. I ended up going to see a Chinese Medicine doc who sorted it out with herbs.

@AnotherBloodyUsername I’m glad she’s taking supplements - she doesn’t need to be actually anaemic to be suffering, her serum ferritin is probably in her boots. Anecdotally, that can cause prolonged or heavier bleeding. They will hopefully rule out any nasties - if she gets a diagnosis of fibroids or possible endometriosis then there is a hormonal imbalance that needs to be addressed. They’ll probably offer her contraceptive hormones but it would be worth researching alternatives that might get to the root of the problem.

Meantime, she could try high strength omega3, vitamin K2 (helps with clotting to stop bleeding) and ginger - all have helped me in the past. If any other symptoms tally with ‘Estrogen dominance’ (there is a question mark around this being an actual condition) she could try a supplement called DIM - has science-based research behind it. I’ve also used this long term for gynae issues (fibroid/bleeding) and it works very well, though I’d wait for a diagnosis first.

Obviously I’m not a doc or gynae/hormone expert! This is just based on my own experience. You do need something concrete to work with, even if they just rule stuff out. She must be worn out, fed up and worried x

AnotherBloodyUsername Sat 07-Oct-17 15:23:26

Yes the coil has been mentioned

She had an implant for a year gradually getting worse then they removed it at the beginning of Sept to 'fix' the bleeding - it didn't
They then gave her a contraceptive injection announced a mushroom shaped cervix and told her not to come back until the bleeding stopped

I insisted she go back as she is in 3rd yr & is missing loads of classes (very active course)

& the upshot is a scan tomorrow - as otherwise we will be out of the time window

DD is tired, hormonal and wants it 'all over' as she has some big stuff on later in the term (big presentations and a work placement which will mean working all the hours possible) and she is knackered and pissed off!!

She really struggles with taking tablets are any of those available as a spray or liquid?

AnotherBloodyUsername Sat 07-Oct-17 18:57:33

She's really down tonight - she has a very busy day tomorrow with loads of exercise after the scan

I don't know how to help her

EllenRipley Sat 07-Oct-17 19:09:52

Ginger tea? I think you can get omega 3 liquid. The K2 is v small if I remember correctly.

It could be that the implant etc have completely knocked her hormones off. They need time to settle. I had the contraceptive injection when I was younger and I bled non stop for about 3 months and felt nuts. I don’t think these things suit everyone and offering her further hormonal devices just seems crazy. So personally I’d be very cautious about the coil as a way of fixing this.

Hope the scan provides some answers and a good starting point to recover. Let me know how she gets on.

AnotherBloodyUsername Sat 07-Oct-17 19:44:41

That's what I feel they were bad before the implant (the pill hadn't helped - 3 types) the implant made it worse and the injection compounded the problem

I can't see hormones helping at this stage

Ginger tea she will go for - she was drinking fresh mint tea today
& I'll look for Omega 3 liquid - I take K and they are tiny (but I can take horse pills & I find them incredably difficult to swallow - which is ridiculous!)

Emotionally she is in crisis I think - so hormonal

EllenRipley Sun 08-Oct-17 00:48:29

Poor girl sad It’s crap she’s got so much else going on. It’s hard to be young and feel compromised by your body. Stress won’t help. She’s lucky to have you - you’ll see her through! I really do think she has to ‘detox’ and rebalance her hormones. Something hasn’t agreed with her, maybe because of an existing condition or it’s maybe caused it. Ensure she takes her iron, particularly if she’s active. Does she have a good diet? I hope the vit K helps.

Got my fingers crossed for the scan - if there’s a consultant or a doc there make sure you or Dd get some time to ask questions and discuss concerns. X

Cyclewidow46 Sun 08-Oct-17 22:28:09

Endometriosis can only be detected with ultrasound if the patient has developed a cyst called an endometrioma. This is also known as a chocolate cyst and contains blood. If no endometrioma is seen in a scan the patient can still have endometriosis.
Endometriosis occurs when during a period some of the endometrium (the lining of the womb) travels backwards through the falliopian tubes and spills into the surrounding area, instead of coming out forwards through the vagina.
Tiny deposits of endometrial tissue can be found within the pelvis or indeed anywhere (deposits in lungs have been reported) however these deposits can be small and cannot be seen on a scan.
Polyps, fibroids and lots of other things can be seen with ultrasound.
A transvaginal (internal) scan is best as is clearer, however this is contraindicated in some cases, for example if the patient is a virgin. We always scan on the tummy first so please make sure your daughter attends with a full bladder

AnotherBloodyUsername Mon 09-Oct-17 08:03:15

The lady was amazing so kind and sensative - DD has bith scans - she said nothing sinister was there but that DD needed to get back to the GPs today & get a referral to the hospital to "get it sorted quickly" as it's ruining DD's future career atm

She had a massively busy day yesterday and just wanted to sleep - she can't go on like this she will have to drop out if it carries on

Groovee Mon 09-Oct-17 09:37:06

Hope things go through quickly for your Dd x

EllenRipley Mon 09-Oct-17 11:17:22

Glad to hear it, sounds like she’s finally on the right track. I’m sure this is a temporary blip in her health, does she have support from her course leaders?

AnotherBloodyUsername Mon 09-Oct-17 13:56:23

Well college are a bit "if you can't do the job there is no point being here"

WHich is a bit crap really

SHe is waiting for the doctor to phone & will be asking for the reults (which the hospital assures her will be available) & for a referral to the hospital (because the sonographer told her too)

Thanks Groovee, finger crossed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now