Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

recommended treatments for fungal toenail infection?

(16 Posts)
ilovekitkats Fri 06-Oct-17 17:23:31

As the title says, can anyone recommend an effective treatment for fungal toenail? I have had it for several months now and it has gone to 3 toenails and nothing seems to be working. I have tried various things, including teatree stuff and canesten, but hoping that someone can recommend something that has worked to clear it for them.

I have not got diabetes or any underlying illnesses (blood tests not long ago). I do suffer from athletes foot and treat that regularly and I see a chiropodist on a regular basis, who has not suggested anything at all for the toenail.

Hulder Fri 06-Oct-17 19:56:13

The antifungal tablets from your GP. Seriously I tried everything including teatree for sodding years but if you have it in >1 toenail you really need the tablets.

IncyWincySpiderOnRepeat Fri 06-Oct-17 20:39:35

If you haven't tried this already try the Boots own brand fungal nail paint. You can buy this off the shelf (small silver box) and it worked brilliantly for me. My whole nail was infected for months. Nothing else worked but I used this for a few weeks and started to see regrowth free of the fungus. A few months later and my nail is back to normal.

AdoraBell Fri 06-Oct-17 20:45:15

I have had success with Scholl anti fungal liquid. My GP told me that otc treatment should work and that the med's she could prescribe can have strong side effects.

You have to use whatever you use consistently for 12 months, until the nail has grown out completely.

Puddlesy Fri 06-Oct-17 20:58:15

Throw everything at it NOW because it will spread.
I've managed to treat 3 toe nails with tea tree. One of the nails will never grow quite right again but it is fni free. Obviously I'll keep tea treeing them until I've treated all my nails.
My nails grow quickly but it still took over 6mths of daily application to be able to see it working.
The scholl stuff didn't do much for me.
I think I need to admit defeat and see a doctor. I've a feeling I can't take the anti fungal tablets though plus some of the side effects sound much, much worse than unsightly feet.

Awks Fri 06-Oct-17 21:00:46

I had this - had to have a kidney function test before being prescribed the tablets but all was well and I took them for 2 months. It's all gone now but it was quite heavy duty just for toenails. Nothing else touched it though, and my feet were minging.

Olinguito Fri 06-Oct-17 23:40:33

I read that Vicks Vapour Rub helps and am trying that at the moment. The jury is stil out!

Floralnomad Fri 06-Oct-17 23:43:05

I tried everything but in the end got terbenafine tablets from the GP and that worked well , but you do have to take them for several months otherwise it just comes straight back .

clarinsgirl Fri 06-Oct-17 23:46:44

Doctor prescribed a paint on treatment for me which worked well. Mine were awful as I got the infection when pregnant so couldn't treat it until DS was born. Was prescribed the varnish stuff as you can't take the tablets when breast feeding. I suspect the tablets are the most effective treatment. I think that your best bet is to see your GP as the only effective treatments require a prescription.

affectionincoldclimate Fri 06-Oct-17 23:51:00

Laser treatment.
It’s not cheap but it is very effective and doesn’t have the awful side effects of the anti fungal tablets or the very slow and by no means guaranteed results if tee tree/vinegar/nail polish methods.

IvorHughJarrs Fri 06-Oct-17 23:53:21

The tablets can have nasty side-effects and react with lots of other medications so, if you can find a paint on treatment that works I'd go with that. You do have to use things for ages though, I was told 6 months, and people not using regularly and for long enough is the main reason things fail

ilovekitkats Sat 07-Oct-17 00:22:58

Thanks for all the replies. I've been trying to avoid the tablets as the doctor said I'd Have to have liver function tests and avoid alcohol for months, so have been trying other things.

I don't think I've treated it long enough as there is no new regrowth so it sounds like I need the get the strongest thing I can from the chemist and stick to it for a very long time until whole nail is clear.

AdoraBell Sat 07-Oct-17 00:53:48

I was told it must be done for 12 months. Also, the pharmacist said that all the ones sold there, Boots, will work if used properly.

SadNews Sat 07-Oct-17 07:49:46

Get some kerasal nail treatment from amazon and lamisil cream from pharmacy.
I had severe nail fungus on my toes and this sorted it out. Took a year though so don't expect instant results.

Hulder Sat 07-Oct-17 09:58:24

I'd didn't have liver function tests or avoid alcohol on the tablets - advice varies wildly on how worried individual doctors are about them. Obvs you may have other health problems which might make you more prone.

I tried the nail paint - first thing it says in the instructions is that if you have it on more than one nail it prob won't work. It didn't. Not even after >1 yr.

Laser would be worth a try before going for the tablet. Quite a few chiropodists do it.

Synecdoche Sat 07-Oct-17 10:24:10

Neat tea tree oil applied with q tips worked for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now