Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dr Mumsnet, please can you help me diagnose this

(29 Posts)
Frazzlerock Fri 06-Oct-17 07:41:53

I've no idea, thought it was acne of some kind, maybe? (he is 12). He said it is sore, but not itchy. He's been putting Sudocrem on every night (past week I guess) so not sure if the white bits are the cream or his skin.
Trip to GP? Or start of normal teenage skin?

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 06-Oct-17 07:45:02

Which bit are we supposed to be looking at? Just normal teenage skin as far as I can see.

SquareWord Fri 06-Oct-17 07:45:04

Impetigo?

StepAwayFromCake Fri 06-Oct-17 07:50:15

That's not acne. Looks more like eczema to me, or possibly impetigo. I think ask a pharmacist to have a look and tell you whether it needs a visit to the GP.

(Gorgeous eyelashes BTW.)

StepAwayFromCake Fri 06-Oct-17 07:51:34

Try bland, oily moisturiser rather than Sudocrem.

Frazzlerock Fri 06-Oct-17 07:52:53

I was thinking impetigo too, but having google imaged impetigo it's not as bad as that, and it doesn't appear to be getting any worse either.
He's just gone off to school so I hope it isn't impetigo!

Should I go and boil wash his bedding just in case?

kemsingchildminder Fri 06-Oct-17 07:53:39

Ha! Yes he does have pretty eyelashes, lucky bugger

Frazzlerock Fri 06-Oct-17 07:54:12

That was me BTW, I can't get the hang of name changing 🙄

picklemepopcorn Fri 06-Oct-17 07:55:22

Sore dry skin. Does he use soap? I'd say he needs moisturiser, and possibly to stop using soap.

Shampoo can irritate the skin, too.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 06-Oct-17 07:56:20

I get that if I don't use Eucerin 10%urea cream. If it flares up or looks blistery/weepy get to the GP asap in case it's impetigo.

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Fri 06-Oct-17 07:56:21

It won’t hurt to get it checked. I wonder if it’s eczema...I notice it’s around nose and mouth where spit/mucous are about (sorry gross lol).

Frazzlerock Fri 06-Oct-17 07:59:13

I'll ask him if he uses anything on his face. He uses Original Source shower gel on his body (he has a slight obsession with flavours!) and smothers himself in Lynx 🙄 (the house stinks of it) I'm going to take the photos to the pharmacy and see what they say.

Frazzlerock Fri 06-Oct-17 08:00:52

I also wondered if it might be eczema. Though it isn't itchy. I've had eczema and know how crazy itchy it is 😖

cathyandclare Fri 06-Oct-17 08:10:06

Is it the red sore bit around the nostrils you're talking about?
It could be seborrhoic (seborrheic in the states) dermatitis ( a bit like cradle cap)

Frazzlerock Fri 06-Oct-17 08:22:35

Yes the red blotchy bits. Sorry, I don't think the photos show it very well. I'll have a google for that, thank you

Frazzlerock Fri 06-Oct-17 08:23:48

Ooooh... yes it does look like that! Will ask the pharmacist

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 06-Oct-17 08:42:34

That Original Source stuff is strong and irritating, I can't use it as I have sensitive skin but dh who has the hide of a donkey normally reacted badly to it. If your ds is getting it on his face that could be drying it out.

MrsPestilence Fri 06-Oct-17 08:54:40

You could try applying a little bit of canesten cream to it, twice a day for three days. If it is the right stuff the itching will subside in after one day. It all seems to be in areas which could be moist. Wash his pillow slips daily, normal wash should do.

butterfly56 Fri 06-Oct-17 09:03:51

The smothering himself in Lynx thing is really not a good thing to do.
Inhaling too much of the stuff can seriously damage your health and has known to be fatal.

Frazzlerock Fri 06-Oct-17 11:30:07

You are absolutely right Butterfly 🙂

EllenRipley Fri 06-Oct-17 11:34:42

Could be a bit fungal? A good calendula cream will work wonders.

Footle Fri 06-Oct-17 12:10:08

Lynx allergy?

Frazzlerock Fri 06-Oct-17 12:37:33

I hope so footle!

charliebear78 Fri 06-Oct-17 17:00:59

Is it red,itchy and scaly around the nose?
I have had this twice over a few years.
Mine was Rosacea and cream form the Docs cured it.

DuckOffAutocorrectYouShiv Fri 06-Oct-17 17:05:29

Perioral dermatitis?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now