Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Feeling anxious for no reason :(

(12 Posts)
Fiona1984 Thu 05-Oct-17 22:46:16

The last few days I've felt constantly anxious and I can't understand why. I don't have any big issues going off. Work is a bit shit at the moment, but other than that my life is going pretty well for once.
I just don't get it, can anyone make any suggestions to help me improve my mood and feel calmer?

Blueberrysandgrapes76 Thu 05-Oct-17 23:01:27

Well I actually think anxiety is the body's way of trying to tell you something - you pick up on subtle changes and feelings say in a loved ones health or under tones at work, or your own health and your body can't quite vocalise and rationalise exactly what's wrong but it just knows something is.

Hence I would say look around you again to try and put a finger on what's worrying you

Fluffybrain Fri 06-Oct-17 04:37:27

Could it be hormonal? Maybe keep a diary for a few days and write down when you are feeling anxious and what your thoughts are at that time. Sometimes meeting up with an old friend who knows you well and having a long chat about everything can help bring things to the surface.

Fiona1984 Fri 06-Oct-17 06:41:05

I've moved house and there is a lot of work to do there, and everything is changing at my workplace (maybe not for the better), but both those things are ongoing, they started a few months ago.
I do feel quite disorganised at the moment, with the house being in a state of disarray.
I have things coming up at work that I'm not looking forward to, but I'll get through it.

LEMtheoriginal Fri 06-Oct-17 06:54:54

I suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and often the feeling of anxiety comes first and then I slot reasons on. Catastrophise and end up in an uncontrollable cycle. It's awful but rationally I do not think it's my body hinting that something is wrong.

Everyone has worries but most people are able to deal with them - just not me grin

Apart from major changes have there been subtle things? Daft I know but change of coffee brand? Drinking slightly more? These things make a difference.

Are you busier than normal? Sleep patterns good?

Look at things you can change and do to make yourself calmer. Despite my anxiety I am ok with caffeine however if my dp drinks too much coffee he becomes quite agitated and it's notable that it's the coffee

Fluffybrain Fri 06-Oct-17 07:27:34

Fiona I can definitely relate to that. I moved last year and the place was a nightmare for ages and is still not sorted and it does make me anxious.

LEM I love the word catastrophise. My friend and I both suffer from anxiety on and off and we both like the word and joke about it. When you have anxiety it does feel like you must have come from another planet as other people appear to be going about their business so easily and normal things are a source of anxiety for me. But a lot more people than you think feel it too.

FusionChefGeoff Fri 06-Oct-17 08:18:08

Odd question but do you drink a lot of caffeine? Sometimes I get a very anxious feeling but it’s a physical reaction to caffeine so heart racing, breathing shallow etc. And as my mind associates those symptoms with being anxious, then I get anxious!

Fiona1984 Fri 06-Oct-17 08:28:02

I don't have caffeine apart from the odd can of coke. I don't drink coffee, and avoid energy drinks because they give me shakes and palpitations. Even Coke will do it sometimes.
I don't smoke and hardly drink at all.

Blueberrysandgrapes76 Fri 06-Oct-17 09:10:51

Les yes having gad does mean your body is misfiring the communications. I don’t think the op suffers from an anxiety disorder though?

MyrtleMaracas Fri 06-Oct-17 09:50:27

Feeling worried, anxious, worked up, are all be very normal human reactions to ongoing situations such as changes at work and house repairs etc. It's when it takes over and affects sleeping and other aspects of life that it becomes a problem .
In the meantime exercise or dog walking if you have one, managing expectations and enjoying the little things <might sound a bit twee maybe> works.

maxthemartian Fri 06-Oct-17 12:41:03

Have you taken any prescription medication recently, say in the last 6 months?

Fiona1984 Fri 06-Oct-17 13:05:33

Not taken any medication, I'm pretty healthy, hate taking painkillers.
I don't take any recreational drugs either

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now