Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chesty cough & breathing

(5 Posts)
MrsGabor Thu 05-Oct-17 20:24:22

Hi there,

Monday afternoon I started with a ridiculous chesty cough. I've had a cold for a couple of weeks - DS started nursery & I guess these are new nursery germs. Now the cough is getting silly, I can't do much, say much without a massive coughing fit that's leaving me short of breath - as if I can't breathe in enough air to fill my lungs. Obviously I can breathe, I'm not dead, but it just feels tight, constricted almost.

Since Tuesday the cold has ramped up as well, I've got a temperature I'm managing with paracetamol & lots of fluids. I've not been able to do anything with DS, so much so DH took today off. I've not been up for more than 3 hours in any one stint and still feel exhausted.

I know this all sounds daft, but I'm wondering if and when I should get checked out by GP, I'm almost entirely sure it's just a cough & cold, despite DH thinking it might be flu. Obviously I don't want to go to docs and pass it on

I have epilepsy, and chronic migraine and can't & don't take much in the way of extra meds - so have just been using menthol crystals, honey & lemon & paracetamol when my temp is up.

It's silly, my overriding instinct is that I'm fine and I don't want to be a bother, but I do feel stupidly unwell.

hannah1992 Thu 05-Oct-17 20:27:56

I have the same! It's hell. Me and my dd1 ft it at the same time last week. Both of us were so congested and coughing constantly day and night then I started to feel better over weekend then dd2 got it. And now she's had it 4 days and I feel as bad as I did at first. Although now it seems to be worse in the morning and at night during the day I'm not too bad so hopefully it's subsiding now.

Flu is completely different. You wouldn't be able to get out of bed if it was flu. I think there's loads going about at moment people are lucky not to catch something

minipie Thu 05-Oct-17 20:37:36

It doesn't sound like flu but it may well be a chest infection. I think it's worth going to the GP or walk in centre if you have one near. Sit away from people in the waiting room. Good luck!

lifeislikeapileofshit Thu 05-Oct-17 21:56:43

I agree that going to the GP with this would be perfectly fine. Although, in my experience with DDs, they mostly say things are viral now and don't prescribe ABs unless it's gone on for quite a while without getting better. Try steaming up the bathroom to help loosen the congestion in your chest. I'm asthmatic and used to get chest infections often, they're horrible. Rest as much as you can and try the steam.

JonSnowsWife Thu 05-Oct-17 22:14:49

My GPs once said to me that the patients who don't want to bother her are usually the very ones who should be bothering them!

Yes OP. Time for GP appointment now. Never mess around with breathing.

Hope you're feeling better soon. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now