Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Stress and worry

(8 Posts)
Loopyloo97 Thu 05-Oct-17 18:13:55

Hi , I'll keep this short but my mum is very ill in hospital and I'm carrying the load of talking to Dr's etc . However after 8 weeks I feel as though it's all catching up I'm exhausted balancing my family and visits to the hospital .. I'm experiencing terrible dreams and waking up with pains in the centre of my chest my blood pressure is 160/103 which is very high for me .
Does anyone have any tips on how I can sleep better and not be so anxious please ?
I don't want to visit my GP

Fluffybrain Thu 05-Oct-17 18:41:42

Very sorry to hear your mum is ill. You need to find ways of de-stressing. Lots of different ways you can do this depending on what you prefer. Some suggestions...exercise, going for a walk, reading a book, having a massage, seeing a hypnotherapist, meditation, yoga, going for a meal with a friend, seeing a film at the cinema, having a bath, hugging someone, petting a dog/cat, drink camomile tea, take Bach rescue remedies. Basically your body is overloading on stress hormones. You need to rebalance them by reducing the stress hormones and increasing the 'good' hormones by doing these types of things. You need to find some time for yourself. Escape for a bit whenever you can. Ask others for help. Your health is important too.

Loopyloo97 Thu 05-Oct-17 18:47:37

Thankyou for your advice fluffybrain I'm feeling burnt out and so worried about my poor mum she's on my mind 24/7 . I go to the hospital most days as my dad is very upset and is finding it difficult to deal with I can only be strong for so long ..

Fekko Thu 05-Oct-17 18:47:52

What can you delegate? Cooking, Laundry, School run? You are not superwoman and it's a hell of a lot to juggle (let alone the stress).

Are you eating properly? Taking time out? Time to even go to the loo? I bet not.

Keep the caffeine and sugar down - it's easy to grab a coffee and biscuit on the go and miss a proper meal.

Write a weekly plan and allocate tasks. Bugger the ironing, and you can live with having a couple of ping meals now and then. Plan in down time as well - when you are 'off duty' and unless the house house burns down, you are not to be disturbed.

What relaxes you? You need sleep too.

Loopyloo97 Thu 05-Oct-17 19:20:44

Thankyou Fekko , I'm eating ok but my insides feel raw at the moment my mum is very ill and her chances aren't good .
I sleep but wake up throughout the night with awful dreams and thinking about my mum . It's a very difficult time and each day that I visit the hospital I hope that there will be slight improvement but there isn't .
Your right about the house work though it can wait I have been doing my chores at home as well

Fekko Thu 05-Oct-17 19:44:49

Have you family that can take some of the weight - siblings, aunts and uncles?

Loopyloo97 Thu 05-Oct-17 20:36:02

No Fekko it's my dad and I my sibling isn't much help atall my dad is elderly and relying on me . My husband is supportive but he's at work all day until late in the evening .

Judydreamsofhorses Thu 05-Oct-17 22:27:44

Sorry to hear about your mum. Re sleep, it's expensive, but the This Works Sleep + pillow spray is a miracle worker. I've tried so many different things, and I swear by this - the cheaper versions (including their non + version) and they don't come close.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now