Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Basal cell carcinoma

(12 Posts)
User5Million Wed 04-Oct-17 20:29:31

My grandad has just been diagnosed with this form of skin cancer and I'm very worried.
from all I've read online, it's not much to worry about but is there any chance they could misdiagnose something serious? He's old and I'm worried. sad

Bobbiepin Wed 04-Oct-17 20:35:19

My mum has had this three times. Each time was a local anaesthetic surgery in a day clinic and no problems.

CMOTDibbler Wed 04-Oct-17 20:36:54

BCC really is very straightforward to distinguish from more serious things, and incredibly common in the elderly. Treatment is straightforward too

Titsywoo Wed 04-Oct-17 20:38:21

My brother has this. It's incredibly rare for it to spread so they just have to remove it (which of course can sometimes be a problem depending on it's size and location).

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Wed 04-Oct-17 20:44:43

If you have to choose any cancer, basal cell is your best option.
Rarely metastasises, as mentioned above it tends to cause most problems if it occurs in an inconvenient place. They often occur in exposed skin areas so often on face.
They will not diagnose only on visual appearance, but should rely on microscopic histology

bananaskin123 Wed 04-Oct-17 20:58:02

I've had three removed at various times. Try not to worry. As others have said they are quite common and usually due to sun damage. Just getting over having had one removed from my foot. Needed a skin graft but its all fine now.

User5Million Wed 04-Oct-17 21:19:20

Thank you everyone for all your replies.

Breakfast, it is on his ear - he thinks it's hilarious that he might have to have half his ear 'chopped off', as he's deaf in the other, so keeps making jokes about not having to pretend to ignore my grandma anymore...

ClinkyMonkey Wed 04-Oct-17 21:52:36

My mum had the more serious, but still very treatable, squamous cell carcinoma removed. She was 82 at the time. A biopsy is normally taken to determine whether it is a malignant growth and, if so, what type of cancer it is. So I would say it is unlikely that your grandfather was misdiagnosed.

Mum has to attend the Dermatology Dept every 6 months, but everything has been fine and they will be bringing her back annually after a while.

Try not to worry. Your grandfather is very lucky to have you caring about him so much.

Tanfastic Wed 04-Oct-17 22:11:30

My sister has had two of these removed recently and also my colleague. Very common and really nothing to worry about.

augustusglupe Thu 05-Oct-17 03:04:01

No there’s nothing to worry about. They cut them out and you get on with your life. I had one removed from my cheek years ago. Your Grandad will be fine.

PandorasXbox Thu 05-Oct-17 11:27:35

FIL also has this on his ear some years ago. He was operated on to remove it and you really wouldn’t notice unless you look closely. Try not to worry.

ShovingLeopard Thu 05-Oct-17 11:34:24

I had one removed last year. The only problem is that I was left with an unsightly scar. My grandmother had several of them that were all removed or treated at various times. She lived to 91, and died of totally unrelated causes. Your grandad will be fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: