Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Racing heart....

(5 Posts)
Popcorninapot Wed 04-Oct-17 17:47:35

Hope someone can help....

A few weeks ago I went to the doctors as I was getting pins and needles regularly down my right hand side, and also getting what I can only describe as flutters in my chest. I've had palpitations before if I've had coffee right before bed, it wasn't quite a palpitation, more being very aware of my heart beating.

Doctor reassured my it was likely related to being rundown and lifestyle. I have three children under five, am breastfeeding a 5 month old and still have a good stone of baby weight to lose.

Fast forward a few weeks, I cut down and eventually cut out coffee and alcohol (not that I was having a lot of either!). I've had no caffeine or alcohol at all for a week, and today the flutters are happening really frequently.

I'm suddenly panicking as I looked at my Fitbit while sitting down (albeit with my 5 month old in a sling) and my heart rate is 96!!! Usually in 60s or low 70s.

Will ring doctor in the morning but should I be more worried? Would you ring 111? Anyone had anything similar? Am 37 so not generally worried about my heart!!

Thank you

Dodie66 Wed 04-Oct-17 17:52:11

Stress can cause palpitations/flutters. I get them all the time and had tests/ecg etc and nothing is wrong. The doc said its anxiety. What were you doing before you checked your pulse rate? I'm not an expert but I don't think 96 is high. My daughter has bad anxiety too and gets a racing heart even when resting. Hopefully somebody with more knowledge will come along soon and reassure you.

Popcorninapot Wed 04-Oct-17 17:57:27

Thank you dodie. I was sitting down after walking round the house with the baby to get her to sleep. I don't feel particularly anxious, I'm obviously busy and tired and not getting much rest. But not worrying about anything (other than the racing heart!)

Popcorninapot Wed 04-Oct-17 19:07:35

Bump

Dodie66 Thu 05-Oct-17 11:52:57

Worrying about it will make it race :-) it's usually caused by stress of some sort and it is stressful with a baby. You need a bit of ME time to relax if you can. Hope you are feeling better today. Hugs xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: