Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Unintentional weight loss + a screwy period

(27 Posts)
HJBeans Tue 03-Oct-17 21:06:17

Hi all - hoping for some realistic advice as I suffer quite badly from anxiety and also have a friend dying stupidly young from undiagnosed cancer just now so my mind is telling me everything that happens to me is a symptom of something that will kill me before my boys grow up.

Current freak-out related to an early and odd period (came on cycle day 18 - usually a ~28 day cycle, odd start with old blood and continuing stop/start and spotting when straining on day 7 of period when usually lasts only 3-4 days) combined with noticing that I seem to have lost a stone in the last six weeks without trying. It has been a hectic six weeks, I have been a bit more active than usual (usually no time for exercise but have been on holiday for a week having a swim most days, walking to/from work, working through lunch once or twice). Absolutely nothing concerted though and no attempt to diet or lose weight, so a bit alarmed by how much I've lost. Also have been oddly thirsty the last few weeks, but with a headcold really knocking me sideways this last week maybe that's not so odd.

Basically the question is would a not overly anxious person see their GP about this?

frazzled3ds Tue 03-Oct-17 21:10:38

I’ve been in a similar boat (stressful time, random period, weight loss without trying) and after a couple of months of it went along to the GP who did a full run of tests and organised a scan just to be sure, all came back clear. Was basically the way my body handles stress (ie goes to pot). Irregular bleeding is worth getting checked, to put your mind at rest as much as anything, although given the hectic few weeks you’ve had and the worries about your friend. I’d imagine it may be a similar situation for yourself.

lovemylover Tue 03-Oct-17 21:19:47

I always lose weight very quickly if i am stressed, and worried,i have lost a stone recently , i tend not to eat much and not even notice, my appetite goes, but had blood tests and scans and all is ok,
The more you worry about it the worse you will feel,
Maybe just check about the period, but could still be the stress causing it

Amber0685 Tue 03-Oct-17 21:25:40

Definately get it checked by your gp if only to reassure you. Sometimes diabetes can make you thirsty.

FancyPuffin Tue 03-Oct-17 21:29:21

Excessive thirst, unintentional weight loss and period changes can all be signs of an overactive thyroid.

Make a GP appointment and gets some bloods done flowers

theconstantinoplegardener Tue 03-Oct-17 21:32:04

All of these things could be explained by stress, but I think you should see your GP for a check-up just to be sure. Do you have any other symptoms? Diabetes can present with thirst and weight loss, although you'd usually be tired too. Hyperthyroidism is another possibility, with weight loss, thirst and rapid heart beat being typical, as well as difficulty sleeping and menstrual irregularities. Don't panic - both conditions are perfectly manageable and most people continue to live full and active lives once they are being treated. But it is sensible to go to the GP and be checked, yes.

HJBeans Tue 03-Oct-17 21:36:10

Thanks everyone, will speak to the GP. The anxiety is a bastard not just because I worry myself silly, but even more so because I don't feel I can trust my instincts. Helps a lot to have outside voices say it's not silly to want proper advice about this.

HJBeans Tue 03-Oct-17 21:39:55

I'm beyond tired, constantinoplegardener, but as I say it's been a hectic time. I'm borderline dizzy with exhaustion recently, though. Will see the GP.

Did have a health check through work just six weeks ago and all was well - but don't think it looked for thyroid stuff or type 1 diabetes. Thanks for reassuring words

theconstantinoplegardener Tue 03-Oct-17 21:51:07

Definitely not being silly to seek medical advice about this! Go and see your GP tomorrow if possible - both conditions can be problematic if left too long without treatment. If you phone your surgery when they open and explain your symptoms, they will probably want to see you on the day to make sure everything is alright.

FancyPuffin Tue 03-Oct-17 22:35:50

Absolutely what theconstant said.

I have hyperthyroidism which is why I related to some of your symptoms. It's totally treatable and I feel a thousand times better already.

It could just be a very understandable case of stress, it always best to check it out.

Blueberrysandgrapes76 Wed 04-Oct-17 03:19:37

Doesn't hyperthyroid cause anxiety too?

theconstantinoplegardener Wed 04-Oct-17 13:05:09

Yes, that's right Blueberry. OP, I hope you've been able to see a doctor today and that you are feeling ok.

HJBeans Wed 04-Oct-17 14:10:54

Thanks - I'm in to see the GP at 4:40. I'm tired and thirsty but having taken the step to see the GP my anxiety has stopped shouted and started muttering under its breath. That's progress.

theconstantinoplegardener Wed 04-Oct-17 16:38:15

Great news! Glad the anxiety has subsided and hope your appointment goes well.

theconstantinoplegardener Thu 05-Oct-17 07:21:42

Hello OP, hope your GP appointment was helpful and that you are either reassured or starting investigations and treatment

HJBeans Thu 05-Oct-17 13:50:09

Thanks, constantinople. They've send off blood and urine and asked me to weigh myself daily for two weeks and then go back in.

For some reason, their scale in the office had me about 2.5 kg heavier than my scale at home (and the second scale i bought to make sure the first one wasn't just broken) so the GP wasn't overly alarmed. But I'm pretty sure I've lost 5 kg in six weeks so am losing the battle with anxiety today. Also taking the day off work as I feel absolutely rotten and have since I woke up - exhausted to the point of being a bit dizzy and not able to focus properly on anything.

How I'd be feeling if my stupid brain would stop telling me I DEFINITELY have cancer and DEFINITELY am starting down the road to early death, I don't know. Stupid brain. Have a final appt with a counsellor I've been seeing for anxiety tomorrow, so will look forward to reviewing the strategies I can use to get out of this bad place mentally.

theconstantinoplegardener Thu 05-Oct-17 18:15:22

Hmm. Did your GP test your blood sugar or urine during your appointment, or were the samples just sent off without immediate testing?
And when you say you can't focus properly on anything, do you mean you can't concentrate, or you can't see clearly?

HJBeans Thu 05-Oct-17 19:15:03

He arranged for the tests to be done by a nurse the next day and the samples were sent off. Call for results in a week.

Not focusing is mental not visual - if my vision went screwy I'd be straight to the ER, having been unable to resist googling diabetes widely.

HJBeans Thu 05-Oct-17 19:15:20

He arranged for the tests to be done by a nurse the next day and the samples were sent off. Call for results in a week.

Not focusing is mental not visual - if my vision went screwy I'd be straight to the ER, having been unable to resist googling diabetes widely.

theconstantinoplegardener Thu 05-Oct-17 19:57:41

I would expect a GP to check your blood sugar then and there (in addition to the blood tests that get sent away) in a patient complaining of weight loss, thirst and tiredness. If he didn't, he must have felt that diabetes is unlikely in your case.
None the less, you do sound quite unwell. It may be the virus that you've got, but if you continue to get worse, don't wait until the two weeks have passed but go back and see a GP again. Not helpful for your anxiety, I know!

HJBeans Thu 05-Oct-17 20:30:11

Thanks - I will do. Anxiety means that I almost always err on the side of caution once I've convinced myself I'm not being silly, which is a silver lining of sorts. And don't worry about not being helpful - I really appreciate your advice. To be honest, given the irrational nature of anxiety-driven thinking, diabetes is the least of my worries and would almost be a relief.

HJBeans Fri 06-Oct-17 13:04:08

Ugh. Had just about gotten anxiety back in the box and now I'm spotting again. :-( On the bright side, much less weary today and able to think straight.

charliebear78 Fri 06-Oct-17 16:56:00

I was like this at the start of the Year,had all sorts of symptoms which seemed to get worse and worse over the Months,I became utterly convinced I had Cancer.
I lost weight too but this was through not eating-I was in a real state.
Eventually I had lots of tests due which all found nothing.
IBS was the cause.
Now I try to not let my anxiety get the better of me,it is hard but you are on the right path now.
Good luck I truly know how scarey it is.
Having children I think makes it all so much harder-this was my main concern when I was suffering-fear over leaving them.

theconstantinoplegardener Fri 13-Oct-17 13:21:57

Hope you're well OP and starting to feel better. If your GP hasn't phoned you about your blood test results by now, the chances are that nothing significant has shown up. Do go back though if you're still loosing weight and feeling dreadful.

HJBeans Mon 06-Nov-17 12:56:40

Sorry, Constantinople - missed your message when it came through. Blood tests showed nothing of concern and neither did swabs for infections. I've put the weight back on and seem stable at my normal weight now. Extreme fatigue seems to have gone as well, so anxiety is down. Am still having odd periods, though - after a normal 28 day cycle I'm now starting again it seems on cycle day 15. Also having trouble with bloating and constipation, some cramping and feeling quite queasy some days - like morning sickness. Am definitely not pregnant, but am wondering if this might all be hormonal problems. Am 41 so maybe not too young for perimenopause? Anyway, back to doctor. Actual symptoms aren't too troubling but anxiety about them is still interfering with life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now