Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ovarian cyst removal

(25 Posts)
MoanaofMotunui Tue 03-Oct-17 20:11:35

Hi

Has anyone had an ovarian cyst removed, who would mind talking me through the whole thing.

I'm due to have two cysts removed (one in each ovary) and I'm getting very jittery and overwhelmed by the prospect of it all. Mainly the not knowing what will happen.

Will I have a cannula out in for the anaesthetic? Do you have to walk to theatre alone (DP will be taking me to the hospital, will I have to leave him on the ward when I go to theatre, or can he walk me down?) How long will the procedure take?

Also, what is recovery like? Is it quite painful afterward and for how long? I have two children under 5, so I'm hoping to be back on my feet fairly soon, but will have DP at home for 2 weeks.

When were you allowed home? I've been told it'll be a day case. But how long after the op am I likely to be allowed home, is there a set amount of hours I'll need to be kept in for?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm terrible for not being able to face the unknown and would like a rough idea of what is going to happen.

Thank you in advance if anyone can help!!

elenaf Tue 03-Oct-17 20:30:32

Are you having a laparoscopy? I had one 5 months ago to remove endometriosis from my ovaries, plus a small cyst.

I walked to the operating theatre on my own, in dressing gown and slippers, lay on an operating table, they put in a cannula, gave me something "to relax" me and that's the last I remember till I woke up in recovery.

Worst bit was being sick a few times that day, due to the general, and the gas pains (they pump gas in to give them space to work).

I was home after about 4 or 5 hours, pretty much bed bound for 2 days, did a little trip out after 5 days (but regretted it) and was dizzy, tired and sore for 3 weeks. Went back to work after around 1.5 to 2 weeks, but from home. Wasn't up to the commute until 3 weeks.

Scars are tiny. Ovary pain initially worse, improved dramatically after about 3 months.

Top tip! Don't pick up heavy children even after you feel better. I gave myself an incisional hernia 5 weeks on, no one warned me!

Justonemorepleasethen Tue 03-Oct-17 20:33:45

I have just yesterday had mine removed!

I asked for anti sickness meds along with the anesthetic to prevent any sickness. I stayed in overnight, out of choice as I also have young children and fancied a night of peace grin

I'm home now, quite sore but nothing too bad. My husband is only off tomorrow, and then it's just me and the 2 babies, so I'm hoping I will be fine!

buckeejit Tue 03-Oct-17 20:45:35

I had a cyst & ovary out 2.5 weeks ago by keyhole. They wheeled me down to theatre, GA & woke up on recovery & drifted in & out of sleep for a while which was lovely just knowing I didn't have to rush anywhere!

Non smoker, no medications or health issues although I'm v overweight, they didn't catheterise me so got home about 7pm that night, I was the first to be taken for surgery about 8am & expected to stay overnight. The surgeon came & talked to me & asked how I was-told her I felt like I'd had a spa day, was pretty comfortable & got most of my Christmas shopping done after surgery 😆 Got home & had a chinese for tea!

Dh was off for the following week & I did nothing. Felt ok & not much pain, however for the last 1.5 weeks, I've been incredibly tired & really dizzy. Little bit of pain but nothing drastic, although I Really couldn't do anything remotely strenuous. Have another4 weeks signed off work & will approach GP if still dizzy next week.

Have you support for after hospital? Don't lift dc at all-I lifted my small 1yo niece for 30 secs today & been sore this eve!

buckeejit Tue 03-Oct-17 20:46:52

Oh, and please take some lactulose- I didnt & bodily functions were unpleasant for quite a while.

It's amazing how much the GA can affect you

wintersdawn Tue 03-Oct-17 20:48:11

I had a dermoid cyst removed a couple of months ago with key hole surgery. Every hospital will run slightly differently but I got dropped and went to in patients at 8am, from there is was meetings with anaesthetist and consultant to go over everything, then they took some blood.

After that it was a walk upstairs with a nurse who to pre-op where you changed into gown and sexy compressor socks - if they offer help you might want to take it they're a sod to get on. Then wheeled Ina trolley through the back corridors into anaesthetists room next to theatre and then cannula was put in and sleepy time. I was first up and I saw the clock at 8.30 when they knocked me out and woke up at 11.50 on post op ward.

Doc came to talk to me and tell me that they'd removed that one and something they'd found on the other ovary. Then I was in pain so they gave me some more pain killers and i fell asleep again for another hour or so. After I woke again and felt steady enough to sit up, they moved me to recovery ward and gave me cups of tea and sandwiches.

I was discharged at 3.30pm, three very small incisions. Agree re not picking anything heavy up for a while afterwards and take a dress to go home in, I couldn't wear trousers for 5/6 days afterwards as the waistbands sat in the cuts and they don't bandage them they leave them open and tell you not to cover.

Overall a lot less painful than I thought, more exhausted from anaesthetic and annoyed at not being able to drive. Good luck.

MoanaofMotunui Wed 04-Oct-17 02:25:55

Ohh thank you for the replies!

Yes, it's going to be laparoscopic. Ah yes, I've heard about the gas! 😕

Do you think there would be any chance of having the anaesthetic in gas form? Or does it have to be via a cannula? I only ask as I had to have an IV a few months ago and it was a horrendous ordeal, which I'm not sure I could go through again.

When is it likely that I could pick up my little one, he'll be 6mths old, so will still need a fair amount of hefting around. If DP does all the lifting for 2 weeks, is it likely that I'll be healed enough after that?

I'm just wary of school runs etc where I'll have to lift him into the pushchair.

I don't know why I couldn't think of all these questions at the consultant meeting!!

wintersdawn Wed 04-Oct-17 15:59:16

You never can with the consultant. I would say after 2 weeks short lifting that age should be fine. I went to grab my 4 year old after 3 weeks and it hurt but he's a fair weight now smile

It'll need to be injection so they can monitor and bring you round correctly. But don't forget you get it done by the anaesthetist who does this all day long. I have typical redhead veins and they are a nightmare to find at the best of times yet alone after no liquid and it took a while till she was happy with the tourniquet but only one attempt to actually hit the vein and she got it first time.

Caulkheadupnorf Fri 06-Oct-17 02:21:38

I had one removed last Wednesday via open surgery (20cm dermoid cyst). I was kept in until Saturday, and then went back to the see the doctor on Tuesday as they thought I had an infection.

Most people are let out the same day, just depends on how the surgery goes and how well you wee afterwards! I’d already spent a week on the ward having tests done so saw many people going that day.
I had 4 hours of surgery and was wheeled down there and then went to recovery and wheeled into recovery and then back to the ward.

I was very emotional afterwards, but that may be due to the amount of surgery. I recommend taking all the pain killers they offer and some senna/laxtolose too. Walk around as much as you can but also take it easy.

I’m still struggling to walk much, but aware I had different surgery so you may be okay. Ask your surgeon any questions or give them a call beforehand.

Caulkheadupnorf Fri 06-Oct-17 02:26:09

On the ward I was on no one can stay with you until visiting time, so a friend dropped me off and I waited till about 1 when the surgery was. The staff were lovely so I didnt feel alone, but I can imagine you might if you’re used to doing stuff with someone else. I just chatted to others on the ward, read etc. An HCA came with me to surgery and stayed till I was asleep.

EllenRipley Fri 06-Oct-17 11:42:06

Tell them you’re feeling anxious and they should give you something a while before you head to theatre! I had laparoscopic surgery to remove a simple cyst and (as it turned out) lots of scar tissue from c section. The woman next to me in the pre-op ward was nervous so they gave her Valium, she didn’t have a care in the world soon after! They should discuss your concerns in pre-op. Worst part of recovery for me was the trapped gas - get some peppermint oil capsules and tea in. And just take it easy for a while post-op. While it’s not hugely invasive surgery and the scars are tiny your insides still need some recovery time. You’ll be fine though x

LemonadeWithACherry Thu 12-Oct-17 15:31:54

I had my gallbladder removed and told the anaesthetist beforehand that I was dreading having a canula inserted. No problem he said, I'll give you gas to put you out first and pop the needle in after. I was so relieved I went and had a cry in the toilet!

Hope all goes well OP flowers

buckeejit Thu 12-Oct-17 16:04:00

4 weeks tomorrow since my op. Physically I feel mostly ok but heavy lifting i still feel a real pull & discomfort. I've had to have blood tests this week & awaiting results as still very dizzy & exhausted. Really hoping they find something minor they can fix. I was fine for the first few weeks being tired & tipsy feeling but fed up now & my tolerance level is very low now & not sure how much longer DH will put up with my increasing rages!

Wombat88 Mon 08-Jan-18 13:43:15

Hi all. Sorry, am coming to this party late...
I had unilateral oophorectomy 3 days ago (5 January), due to a dermoid cyst, with fallopian tube also removed. Concur with others' experiences of being out of hospital the same day, with no issues about GA, though felt really dry mouthed from no fluid for hours on end.
My gripe is about lack of information provided regarding aftereffects of laparoscopy - bloating and wind retention. Abdominal cavity filled with CO2 so they can see what they're doing, but also bowels affected by GA. I was given no info about the latter nor how to deal with these. Is this others' experience?
I would have appreciated being told that the bloating from the gas takes days to disappear (have seen postings on other sites that it can take weeks!) and that pooing is likely to be affected.
I agree with others that peppermint tea is fantastic; I picked up some Senocalm in my local Co-op, which has worked a treat.
Why can they not inform us about these after effects and how to manage them??

My question actually is about exercising. I have been told that I will be back to normal levels of exercise by two weeks. As I run/cycle commute/walk/swim/do Pilates I suspect this will not be the case. Yesterday, Day 2 after op, it wiped me out walking 5 mins to the Co-op (perhaps worth it to get the Senocalm); Day 3 today, and I feel a bit light headed and don't really fancy even that distance.
What is others' experience and recommendations about exercise?

(Apols for the rant! I got fed up with hearing from the hospital that this was a routine operation - maybe everyday for them, but for me this is (hopefully) a one off.)

buckeejit Mon 08-Jan-18 20:35:18

Hi wombat, hope you're feeling ok

I took a week of full rest-GA is hard on the body & the week after felt worse! I was off work for 6 weeks but I developed vertigo about 2-3 weeks after.

I'm much less exercised of late in general but I would recommend taking it slowly-I had abdominal discomfort for several weeks, though you may recover quicker

Get well soon!

buckeejit Mon 08-Jan-18 20:36:51

You, agree, I didn't get much info about difficulty in bowel movements & wind. Hospital imo focus purely on anything high risk or high liability rather than high discomfort!

buckeejit Mon 08-Jan-18 20:37:13

*yes, agree

Wombat88 Tue 09-Jan-18 16:53:07

Thanks Buckeejit. I do still feel like creeping about, which is not my usual style, so am disappointed.
I am as much upset psychologically as physically. I did not have any symptoms beforehand and went from being perfectly fit to facing major surgery in seconds and I have been distraught about the lack of concern or advice wrt psychological and mental impact of this procedure - both the laparoscopy and the oophorectomy.
Agree that the medical professionals are only concerned about removing what they perceive to be the threat (e.g. ovary/cyst) and managing physiological and psychological recovery is outside their remit. A friend likened it to carrying out an MoT or service on a car; they don't consider that there's actually a sentient person here, just something nasty to be cut away.
I made a complaint about the consultation with the first surgeon (I should have seen the clue, in his job title - 'surgeon'). I had a second appointment and he had the grace to apologise but also conceded that psychological support for oophorectomy patients is lacking (read 'non-existent'). I then got a second opinion from a female surgeon, who appeared more empathetic and convinced me that surgery was appropriate for my situation; the surgery was carried out by a (different) male. Sadly no continuity of care though partly due to me requesting a second opinion. I am sure they are all highly competent at the surgery but do need training in bedside manner.
It was only by googling (in the wee small hours as I was too uncomfortable to sleep) and finding sensible advice on Mumsnet that I realised the bloating etc is commonplace. Surely hospitals should provide more than a paragraph saying 'bloating will subside within a few days and you will be back to your usual level of activity in two weeks' - and give advice about peppermint tea/over the counter aids for other issues..?
When I feel a bit better, I will contact the hospital's patient advice and liaison service, as I cannot be the only person to feel cast adrift (or maybe I'm just a control freak). If MoanaofMotunui you are reading this, I hope your own procedure went well; sorry again about the rant; and best wishes to Buckeejit and others for recovery and no repercussions.

TheLongRider Tue 09-Jan-18 17:41:00

I had an ovarian cyst removed on 12th November. Peppermint tea mightn't help because the gas is in your abdominal cavity, not in your gut which is where the peppermint works.

This was my third laproscopy and it took me longer to recover from trapped gas pains in my shoulders. I was operated on Sunday morning and home by nightfall. I was tired in the Monday but walked 5km on the Tuesday and Wednesday slowly. It hurt like buggery but I kept going. I reckoned I had to get the gas out if my system and that if I kept moving it was better than being sat down. I didn't take any painkillers after 48 hours.

As regards fitness, I cycle everywhere. I stayed away from lifting and gym work but I did complete a 125 mile bike ride on the 25th November and another one a week later. Your recovery may vary but I know what I am capable of and cycling is mostly using my legs. My scars have healed nicely and I started back with kettle bells 6 weeks after the operation.

Wombat88 Thu 11-Jan-18 13:01:52

Thanks TheLongRider, helpful information and I realise people heal differently.
Best wishes to all.

buckeejit Fri 12-Jan-18 10:58:03

Talking to the patient liason service is a good idea. Even a sentence added to the care sheet to say *you may find peppermint tea/windeze helpful and after a GA, senokot (or whatever it is) may help bowel movements to return to normal

Hope recovery is improving

Wombat88 Thu 18-Jan-18 16:08:23

Hi, I finally managed to get through to the patient advice and liaison service (PALS), yesterday afternoon. She did listen and take notes; apparently she will give my feedback and suggestions to 'the team' and then get back to me with their comments - probably in two weeks' time. The advice she gave me was to seek guidance and support from my GP. I had already made an appointment - first available with a female on 1 February..! I did feel she was a bit defensive and wondered the extent to which PALS advocates for patients, or wants to maintain the status quo.

Anyway, I feel I have now done what I can for myself and others in a similar situation and am letting it go.

In the past week, I've also been walking, to ballroom dance and pilates classes and cycling so, 13 days post-op, I am definitely on the mend (though I'm unsure what is happening inside!).

Best wishes to others and thanks for your supportive comments and suggestions.

Pinkywoo Sat 20-Jan-18 11:17:49

I had my cysts removed yesterday (keyhole) but forgot to ask when I can have a bath, what advice was everyone else given?

Wombat88 Sat 20-Jan-18 17:35:27

Hi Pinkywoo, I was given this information:
'The small cuts are closed with a dissolvable stitch or surgical glue and covered with small dressings. The dressings can be removed the following day and the areas must be kept clean and dry using a clean towel to pat it dry following your shower. This is especially important for the wound in your umbilicus. We advise you to shower and avoid long soaks in the bath or swimming until they have fully healed.'

However, I had a long soak in the bath 8 days after, with no ill-effects.

I am sure I have seen on other sites, that people have bathed sooner than this.

Hope this helps and you are recovering well from all the procedures (GA, laparoscopy, cyst removal).

Pinkywoo Sat 20-Jan-18 18:51:23

Thanks @wombat, I was so keen to get home to my bed I forgot to ask the basics!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now