Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Stabbing pain in rectum - period related

(10 Posts)
Civilsoot Mon 02-Oct-17 13:28:59

Hi,

I've never really suffered with painful periods, they were very very heavy as a teenager but the contraceptive pill worked a treat. After my first dc when they returned they were very light and short.

However, since having ds2 6 months ago they have been agonising.

Insane cramping that feels like labour pains; I have to sit down and breathe through them. I'm incredibly bloated and my tummy hurts to press on. On top of that every now and then I get an intense stabbing pain in my rectum. It'll come out of nowhere, I'll be watching the TV and bam, I'll feel like I've got a knife up my arse! What's that about?

Would you see your GP about this or shall I just suffer on for 5 days a month? Not too keen to go back on the pill.

Anybody else in the same boat? How did you cope?

Thank you.

MrsJayy Mon 02-Oct-17 13:32:02

Mumsnet christened it Javelin Arse grin so yes it is period related sadly however if you think your periods have really changed speak to a Gp about it don't suffer.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 02-Oct-17 13:39:41

I winced in recognition at the words javelin arse and your other symptoms.

Has anyone ever mentioned endometriosis to you as a possible cause of what is happening now re your periods?. It is indeed a common cause of this as well as heavy bleeding and any pain that is cyclical in nature, should be checked out and furthermore by a gynaecologist.

I would keep a daily pain and symptom diary if you do not already do this as this can also be helpful re evaluating as well. Do also see your GP re this matter. You will need to be persistent in order to get answers.

Civilsoot Mon 02-Oct-17 14:28:52

Yes, javelin arse sums it right up!

I've read up about endometriosis but not all of the symptoms match. From what I've read most women find pregnancy helps endometriosis, I seem to have been struck down with it after having children?

My periods are also very regular. I tracked them to help conception and they are always on time. I also didn't have any trouble getting pregnant

moreshitandnofuckingredemption Mon 02-Oct-17 14:31:17

Definitely see your GP, not because I think it's anything to worry about but because why the hell should you be putting up with a javelin up the arse 5 days a month?!

MrsJayy Mon 02-Oct-17 14:31:27

My gp suggested i might have fibroids but i didnt get it investigated i have JA today i can hardly sit still <sigh>

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 02-Oct-17 16:55:24

Fibroids can cause heavy bleeding to arise, its not normally associated with the pain associated with javelin arse.

I would ask the GP for a referral to a gynae for further evaluation.

PlateOfBiscuits Mon 02-Oct-17 16:58:09

Your symptoms don't all have to match to have endo. It's not a ticklist. You can have just one (or none!) and still have endo. The fact that the symptoms vary so widely for person to person is one of the reasons why it's so difficult to diagnose.

Loosemoose28 Sat 07-Oct-17 00:41:11

My endometrosis only really hurt after an ectopic. I too get Javellin Arse with periods, then it feels like everything wants to fall out and I get what I imagine are labour pains. Not as bad but still experiencing it at 12 weeks pregnant on/ off. My endo is diagnosed.

cornerstoned Sun 08-Oct-17 18:23:03

I had this pain just before my endometriosis was discovered. once I had the endo treated via laparoscopy, the pain disappeared. Not sure if these two are related but I always wonder if it was caused by my endometriosis .

I had, despite endo, regular periods and got pregnant without any difficulty. my only symptom were very very painful periods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now