Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Teeth whitening and tooth pain

(18 Posts)
Purplecarpet Sun 01-Oct-17 08:39:29

Just started teeth whitening with trays that you use overnight which I got from my dentist. I thought about doing this for a long time as I am really self conscious about the colour of my teeth so decided to give it a try.
The first night was fine but after the second night my teeth are hurting this morning, not just sensitive but like zingy pains. I actually took the retainer out after 5 hours as it was starting to feel uncomfortable and rubbed some sensodyne toothpaste on the teeth. I was told about sensitivity but is this what they mean?
I hardly used any bleach the first night but last night I think I may have used too much? And I only did the top teeth last night but this morning the bottom front teeth are a bit zingy too. Don't quite understand that!

Im not in a lot of pain but I'm not going to do it again till they settle down but is this normal?

shooeghMcFee Sun 01-Oct-17 08:54:02

My daughter got stuff from the dentist but it was so painful for her that she had to stop. I also got the same stuff with the tray etc from the dentist and I was fine with it. I think it just depends on how sensitive your teeth are. Sorry, not very helpful. If i were you I would persevere with just a little amount of the gel, but if it is agony, I would stop using and maybe go back to your dentist?

Purplecarpet Sun 01-Oct-17 14:06:27

My dd did the same and she had no problems at all.
I just thought my teeth would be sensitive to hot and cold, not that they would just hurt. They are a lot better now though but I will give tonight a miss and try again tomorrow.
Thanks for your reply.

Hunkle Sun 01-Oct-17 16:16:02

Can it be permanent sensitivity or just temporary?

DianaT1969 Sun 01-Oct-17 16:40:30

Not related to the pain, but did your dentist remind you not to drink acidic drinks, caffeine. coloured foods etc?

Purplecarpet Sun 01-Oct-17 17:12:57

I asked dentist about what not to eat and drink etc and she said it was ok to eat and drink normally, which I was surprised at. I asked about coffee, curry etc but she said it was ok. But I am avoiding those things anyway while I am whitening just in case.

shooeghMcFee Sun 01-Oct-17 17:15:16

My dentist said no beetroot

DianaT1969 Mon 02-Oct-17 08:12:43

If you google what not to eat or drink, it says anything that would stain white cotton and acidic drinks. No milk either. No red wine, tea, coffee, strawberries, chocolate...

Purplecarpet Mon 09-Oct-17 13:59:10

I am managing to do every other night and have done 6 nights so far.
I know its not going to be instant results but anyone who has done this before, how long might it be before I start noticing any results. So far nothing.

danTDM Mon 09-Oct-17 16:27:23

When I got my teeth whitened professionly at a dentist, it stung like crazy for a day.

Absolutely as diana says, no wine, coffee etc for 3 days. enamel is 'open', this is why, and will stain badly.

danTDM Mon 09-Oct-17 16:28:45

2 weeks, if you do it at home, I think OP

Purplecarpet Tue 10-Oct-17 07:44:48

I specifically asked my dentist about drinking coffee (I have one white coffee a day usually) but as I said earlier, was told it was ok to eat and drink normally so that is strange. I am potentially going to be whitening for months so it’s going to be a struggle.
I don’t drink red wine anyway and don’t have fizzy drinks. Chocolate, yes. So apart from water, what can I drink? And really, no milk?

danTDM Tue 10-Oct-17 08:03:18

Milk is fine. It's white!

I was told, if I absolutely had to drink coffee (in the 5 days after) to drink it through a straw and clean my teeth immediately after.

Oh, and to drink Gin!

This was a lazer treatment job though, teeth very sensitive after, it could be different I suppose.

Makes sense to me though.

PollyPerky Tue 10-Oct-17 08:56:39

What concentration is the bleach you use? There are new regulations and they can only give quite weak solutions now. I used to have 22% but now can only get 6%. I have never done it overnight because the instructions say 60-90 minutes a day for max 2 weeks.

My teeth used to ache from the 22% and I only used it on alternate days. There is still a tiny bit of an ache with the 6%.

My advice is you stop putting it on overnight and only use for an hour or two during the day- but you can't eat or drink while the trays are in.

Purplecarpet Tue 10-Oct-17 18:40:28

I have got 16% carbamide and I’m using it alternate nights. I asked about the minimum time to wear the trays and dentist said at least 4 hours.
There is so much stuff all over the internet, it’s hard to know what to believe. I know that the one off laser treatments are a lot more harsh on the teeth than this method I am using, hence the instructions regarding eating/drinking. I miss my daily coffe though.

Diamondsforeyes Tue 10-Oct-17 18:48:47

Dd did the tooth whitening using polanight 16% at home with excellent results. She wasn’t given any instructions regarding what foods/drinks to avoid and I was a bit concerned (and frequently nagged her about it) but her dentist said it was ok to eat and drink what she liked.
She wasn’t doing it every night and they gradually whitened over 3 months and she just does a little top up now and then. Her teeth are lovely now.

willdoitinaminute Tue 10-Oct-17 20:02:16

The laser treatment is no more effective at whitening than any other method. It’s a bit of a gimmick. If your experiencing sensitivity try loading your trays with sensodyne every other night. There is a product you can use specifically for whitening sensitivity but I can’t remember the name of it.
The sensitivity post whitening is due to dehydration. I think it feels a bit like your skin does after a bit too much sun, not burnt but tight.
It is not likely to be permanent though.

willdoitinaminute Tue 10-Oct-17 20:12:25

You can also try chewing sugar free gum after treatment, it has been shown to reduced sensitivity post whitening. It may speed up rehydration.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now