Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What can I take to give me some oomph?!

(28 Posts)
PosiePootlePerkins Tue 26-Sep-17 20:05:44

Just feeling blurgh these last few weeks. Achy, tired, cold. Like I'm wading through treacle. Not all of the time but at least 50%. I'm 42 and not sure if its just an age thing, but I really feel like I need some sort of pick me up. Berocca? Multivitamins? Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks

ArabellaRockerfella Tue 26-Sep-17 20:45:11

I was like this last year, I couldn't get through a day without a nap, sometimes 2!!! I was iron and Vit D deficient.
I would recommend Ferraglobin tablets and DLux 3000 IU Vit D oral spray. Take them long term, not just for a few weeks.
I feel so much better! smile

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 26-Sep-17 21:45:19

Ok thanks for that information, really helpful. Did you go to the GP for blood tests? Not sure if its worth bothering them with?

Fruitboxjury Tue 26-Sep-17 21:46:32

I take Vitamin B complex, magnesium, vitamin D, zinc and Omega 3.

One or more of them is making a difference.

Shockers Tue 26-Sep-17 21:49:21

I take a berocca tablet every other day. Not the effervescent ones; they contain aspartame, just the tablet form. It makes my wee luminous, but it keeps me upbeat (and sane -seriously).

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 26-Sep-17 21:50:44

I am going to look into these suggestions, thanks so much. And good to know its not just me that needs a boost! I am quite taken by the idea of luminous weegrin

kittydetective Tue 26-Sep-17 21:51:03

Ginseng!!!

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 26-Sep-17 21:51:38

Fruitbox do you take several different tablets or are they all in one? (Sorry if that's a silly question)

Stormwhale Tue 26-Sep-17 21:52:17

Floridix really helps me.

Fruitboxjury Tue 26-Sep-17 22:19:51

Separate ones, not a silly question. I could get a multivitamin I guess but I take them different times e.g. Omega 3 and zinc in morning, vit b morning and lunch (too much of too late gives me weird dreams), magnesium in evening as it's a good sleep aid

ArabellaRockerfella Wed 27-Sep-17 15:37:12

Yes I did get blood tests. If you haven't done so already then please do, they can check your thyroid function too.

PosiePootlePerkins Wed 27-Sep-17 16:15:51

Thank you Arabella maybe a trip to the GP is in order then.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 27-Sep-17 17:16:29

Its not just an age thing.

I would go to the GP and have blood tests done; it may be that your thyroid gland is not working as efficiently as it should be.

QuestionableMouse Wed 27-Sep-17 17:18:34

I feel a lot better when i take iron and vit d supplements. I was horribly low on both.

Gizlotsmum Wed 27-Sep-17 17:21:10

I could have written this post. I am knackered ( and stressed). I know once I get exercising I will be ok I just need to get there and it is such an effort. Will try the above suggestions

JaneEyre70 Wed 27-Sep-17 17:26:50

I felt absolutely drained last year, and went to the GP where I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Since my sugar levels have been under control, I feel like a different person and I was also very low on Vitamin B12 and Ferritin. I take Floradix every day as it is so gentle, and that really helps me. Also at this time of year, I find a light box or daylight bulb is a massive help in keeping my energy levels up.

PosiePootlePerkins Wed 27-Sep-17 18:40:52

Thanks everyone. I'll make the effort to get to the doctors. Gizlotsmum sorry you feel the same way. Feeling really lightheaded too for the last couple of days but think I must be fighting off a virus, I work in a school so am surrounded by germs. Urgh.

zzzzz Wed 27-Sep-17 18:42:48

A rowing machine.

shock

I can’t believe it but it’s absolutely life changing!

PosiePootlePerkins Wed 27-Sep-17 19:16:41

Crikey zzzzzz that's not quite what I was thinking!grin

Shockers Wed 27-Sep-17 21:05:49

I've had my eye on the water rower from John Lewis for a while now zzzzz, but DH has resisted. I'm showing him your post!

tothesea Wed 27-Sep-17 21:15:15

I felt like that at the start of the peri menopause...could it be that ? I did go to the docs as well and got all the blood tests.

PosiePootlePerkins Wed 27-Sep-17 21:23:58

tothesea yes possibly, my PMT has been getting worse, my periods are very light and I have had the odd night sweat... wasn't sure if 42 was too young though?

Not too young, I'm 40, just had tests symptoms same as you, I'm slightly anemic, please get checked out at your doctors, its a relief believe me.

zzzzz Wed 27-Sep-17 21:37:10

Go for it shockers. My dh was exactly the same and is a total convert. You can rent them if you want to try without committing. I just feel SO much better. smile

tothesea Wed 27-Sep-17 21:38:57

It’s young but not unusually so. For ages I felt like I was coming down with something. I felt weak, achey, no energy, but it never actually came to anything. My periods had become erratic and I was 45 so I had a fair idea it was that. I went to the docs when my joints became very sore and stiff. All tests came back ok. The Doc told me I wasn’t peri but I’ve only had about 6 periods in the past 4 years so kinda worked it out for myself!!
I think your Doctor is your first port of call. Look after yourself x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now