Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone use the Contraceptive Implant

(16 Posts)
charliebear78 Mon 25-Sep-17 19:50:12

As the title says

I am thinking of getting this, so does anyone use it and how has it been?
Thanks

Taylor22 Mon 25-Sep-17 19:56:37

I've got it and had many before and think it's brilliant. Absolutely painless going in and being removed. I've had no side effects. No periods except the one after having it in. It lasts 3 years so I never have to worry.
It's never allowed me to get pregnant!!!

But when I did choose to have it removed I fell pregnant very soon after.

DamsonGin Mon 25-Sep-17 20:00:13

Worked well for me too, had two in a row that worked well for me.

crazycatgal Mon 25-Sep-17 20:02:37

I had mine put in in February and it's been great so far. I had some very light bleeding off and on for around 6 weeks but I've not bled since.

I've had a few spots here and there but no other side effects. I'd definitely recommend it.

wren23091 Mon 25-Sep-17 20:03:03

I’m a year into my second one, had them back to back (literally - they used the same incision from taking the first one out, to put the second one in). I’ve noticed an extreme lessening of period pain (used to be awful, is now only very slight when it happens at all), and periods are one (and extremely light at that) every three months or so. Wholly recommend.

Bearhair Mon 25-Sep-17 20:06:23

I've had it in 7, nearly 8 months. Bled for more than half the time for about the first 4 months before going to the GP. Was given a mini pill to take on top of it to stop the bleeding and hopefully allow it to settle by the magical 6 month mark but still bled for most of the 5th month then every 3 or 4 weeks thereafter until finishing the pill pack. At which point I bled again for about 3 weeks. I've just had a gap for about 10 days so far, which I'm hoping will last a while but if I'm not seeing a significant reduction in bleeding within the next month then I'm going to have to have it removed. Otherwise I would love it - easy going in, don't need to think about it, etc!

Vintagebeads Mon 25-Sep-17 20:08:08

It didn't suit me at all I had spotting a lot of the time,I had awful mood swings,I felt pmt y a lot of the time,my sister also had the same experience.
I dont suit the pill either so why I thought the implant would be different I dont know.
No pain with it going in or out.

Redken24 Mon 25-Sep-17 20:10:59

Nexplanon? Had it since 18 - easy removal and fuss free.

BobbinThreadbare123 Mon 25-Sep-17 20:12:24

I am on my second one. Had it done straight after the first. I have normal periods, every month. Sometimes they're very light. I have acquired some chin zits which I never used to get. However, I have other medical issues which mean that this is my only choice. I haven't become pregnant, which is the main idea. I'd say the implant is generally a success.

BossMama Mon 25-Sep-17 20:16:57

I had an implant twice and it was great, no mood related side effects, completely stopped my periods while it was in. It did make me gain a fair bit of weight but that's a problem I've experienced with all hormone based contraceptives I've tried, so that's not really something specific to the implant. The weight dropped right off me though when the last one came out.

Stringervest Mon 25-Sep-17 20:39:55

I had 4 back to back from 2004 to 2015. Had the fourth one taken out in October 2015, started trying for a baby in April 2016 and fell pregnant in May 2016. Just had another one put in.

I've had a few problems with spotting in the past but mainly when I was younger. No weight gain apart from bigger boobs. If it doesn't suit you, you can get it removed and the symptoms should stop. I think it's great.

charliebear78 Tue 26-Sep-17 19:12:07

Thank you all, I have made an appointment to have it put in.
I am pretty rubbish at remembering to take the Pill which is the main reason for considering it.
My periods are very light and only last a few days so I wouldn't want this to change...however most of you seem not to bleed much(or at all)
If it doesn't suit I can always get it removed.
Thanks again.

Anatidae Tue 26-Sep-17 19:15:43

Some evidence that it's associated with reduction in bone density - not sure if it's published yet but I know they were collecting data back in 2014. So if that's an issue in your family you might want to be monitored.

As always, what suits one doesn't suit another. If you do t remember to take the pill then a method like implant/mirena would be considered better than a daily pill. There's no one size fits all with contraception (and a dire lack of good options in my opinion...)

FinallyHere Tue 26-Sep-17 19:21:25

I had one of the first that were available in this country, after i read about it in Cosmo magazine.

Had no trouble, on insertion or removal. No sign of periods, over the course of some fifteen years. Didn't notice any other side effects.

In the first week or so, I woke up in the middle of the night a couple of times, distraught that i had not taken my pill grin otherwise, all good. Didn't notice any signs of the menopause, either. They stopped replacing it once i was past 52, as it was considered no longer necessary, brilliant.

BobbinThreadbare123 Tue 26-Sep-17 20:45:50

There is no clinical evidence of bone density reduction when using Nexplanon. It's one of the reasons I'm allowed to have it.

charliebear78 Tue 26-Sep-17 21:14:05

It is all sounding good so far!
I do the waking up in the night panicking about my pill-because I actually have not taken it when I need to!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now