Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Urgent referral to breast clinic

(30 Posts)
deezer19 Mon 25-Sep-17 13:55:44

Hello ladies,

I know there have been threads about this before - I've probably read most of them. But I wanted to start one of my own anyway...

I found a lump (well, several lumps) in my breast (both breasts, but much bigger on one side - although that breast is also much bigger). I only noticed it when in a certain position, and don't normally check myself in that position, so I am not sure how long it has been there.

Anyway, I waited until after my period - lump still there. Went to GP today and she said she doesn't think it's anything but as I'm 42 she did an urgent referral to the breast clinic. Apparently this is standard procedure for anyone over 30 but it doesn't stop me worrying, so I was hoping there might be folk on here that could maybe chat to me?

I really want the appointment to be today. I know I have to wait. I want them to call me today. I don't suppose they will. I hope they will call me tomorrow, as I really can't stand the waiting.

The lumps are softish and moveable and the GP said that was good but of course I cannot help catastrophising and worrying (have had issues with health anxiety in the past). Even though the GP explicitly said "don't worry".

I have been down this road before and it was really scary. Found a lump when breastfeeding. GP (same GP) said she didn't think it was anything, but I was referred due to age. Consultant was very honest and said upon examination that he wasn't sure. Mammogram and ultrasound both inconclusive so I had a biopsy and had to wait another week for the results. Nervous about going through all that worry again, although that lump was nothing (I can't even remember what they said it was but it was to do with pregnancy and has now disappeared).

My mum and sister both have lumpy breasts but there is no history of breast cancer in our family (that I know of). Still, such a worry isn't it?!

Because it was a few years ago I can't remember how quickly the appointments come through. I know it's supposed to be within 2 weeks and it was last time, but how quickly do you usually get contacted?

WealdenFlowers Mon 25-Sep-17 14:03:42

Been there twice! First time, when I was 44, I nearly went out of my mind worrying. Had a large lump that was movable but it could have been there ages as I never used to self examblush.
I had an urgent referral. Turned out I had lots of cysts. Hoping yours it tooflowers

user1499114292 Mon 25-Sep-17 14:13:40

I had a lump, urgent referral, and all the tests. I would say this waiting and uncertainty drove me spare. When I was actually diagnosed with breast cancer it was actually a relief, oddly enough. There is a mature process of explaining and treatment path that is very reassuring, in my experience.

At every stage of treatment, finished over 10 years ago, when I was in my 40s, it was the waiting for results that stressed me with the what ifs. Reality was so much easier to deal with.

I don't want to worry you, most lumps are non cancerous, but that was my take on the waiting!

tuscanrose Mon 25-Sep-17 15:34:15

I'm kind of going through the same thing but I'm one step behind you. I felt a strange, quite sore 'thickened' patch on my left breast a couple of weeks ago. It's not a defined lump but a kind of thicker patch - it moves around and feels much more prominent than on the other side. I thought I'd leave it a bit but it's still there and so I'm going to book a GP appt. I'm sure I'll be referred and then have to go through the same thing again! I only just went to the breast clinic in April for another lump (turned out to be fine) on the other breast. I don't want to have to go through the whole thing again so quickly!

The whole process is worrying and unsettling - but I got my appointment very quickly, within a week of seeing the GP I think. They were able to tell me it was fine on the actual day. I hope you get some reassurance too - try and follow your GPs advice, try not to worry! They have to refer women over a certain age who present with a lump - it's standard procedure.

Perpetualstateofchaos Mon 25-Sep-17 17:49:37

Hi Deezer. I was just going to start a thread along the same lines. I've been referred by the gp roday for a lump. She told me I'd be seen within 2 weeks. I completely understand the worry but I'm going with the I'll worry when I know I have to worry philosophy.

Sickofthinkingofnewnames Mon 25-Sep-17 18:19:19

Appointment should come through soon,I went to gp last Wed and have my appointment on Thursday? My scientific mind is calm the rest of me is panicking flowerswinecake

deezer19 Mon 25-Sep-17 20:02:03

Thank you for all the replies. It's silly I know, but I feel more worried now that I have the referral. I know that at my age they don't not refer you, and the GP wasn't worried at all, but even so...the worrier in me just focuses on all the negative possibilities.

First time around at the clinic (3 years ago) was really stressful, although everyone I encountered there was great and of course the result was absolutely fine in the end.

I don't even know how long the lumps have been there, as I can only feel them if I prod in a certain way (which I don't ever tend to do - I only found them because I was shaving my nipple - TMI, I know!).

Tuscan, perpetual and sickofthinking - my thoughts are with you. Tuscan, one of my lumps is kind of like a thicker patch too. GP said she thought it was glandular tissue but if you Google too much it turns out that any kind of lump can be sinister. Google is not my friend....I should stop checking.

Sickofthinkingofnewnames Mon 25-Sep-17 20:56:31

I found mine beside of an achey itch.I'm 41 almost 41 with tiny boobs and I don't consciously check regularly either. I was all cool and collected about it at first but the gp finding it first go kind of freaked me out.I'm imagining that she didn't meet my eye after which is ridiculous because I've never seen this gp before and that could just be her manner.

Lemons1571 Mon 25-Sep-17 21:16:50

I didn't know there were routine appointments, all my referrals to the breast clinic have been 2 week wait. Even the one for a small patch of eczema that had been there over a year. Once the gp referred me without even examining me, still a 2ww appointment. Perhaps it's just standard now.

DrCoconut Mon 25-Sep-17 21:29:49

I'm at the breast clinic next Monday for a swelling in my armpit. The dr said he doesn't think it's sinister but I still need to be checked. It's really horrible waiting. Virtual hand hold.

deezer19 Mon 25-Sep-17 21:31:41

Lemons1571 the GP told me it's just standard for anyone over 30 now.

Sickofthinking I have tiny boobs as well. One is a lot smaller than the other. On the really small one, I can feel lumps but have to really rummage for them as everything on that side is so tiny (probably not even an A cup!).

Perpetualstateofchaos Tue 26-Sep-17 14:42:33

Hi Deezer my surgery rang me today with the details to book my appointment whoxh I've got next week. Hopefully your surgery do the same.

deezer19 Tue 26-Sep-17 19:28:46

DrCoconut holding your hand too - my appointment came through and is also next Monday.

Perpetual - when is yours? I was impressed with the speed of the referral. I got mine via SMS!

DrCoconut Mon 02-Oct-17 09:42:09

Good luck for today deezer, mines at 2pm.

deezer19 Mon 02-Oct-17 09:58:38

Thanks Coconut...I am at 2.30 so around the same time....fingers crossed.

Perpetualstateofchaos Mon 02-Oct-17 14:03:50

Mines not til Thursday. Hope it goes well for you both.

DrCoconut Mon 02-Oct-17 16:27:41

So glad to say I got the all clear, it's just tissue that has overspilled into my armpit. Hope the rest of you have good news too.

Perpetualstateofchaos Mon 02-Oct-17 16:30:13

That's fab news drcoconut

deezer19 Mon 02-Oct-17 19:07:04

Coconut, great news. I was thinking of you today. That really tested my nerves as I had to wait quite a long time between mammogram and ultrasound. But I got the all clear too. Fatty tissue apparently! They were v thorough and also wanted to take a look at my lump from 2013, which I thought had gone. I can't feel it but apparently a 'smudge' is still there. They were not worried though (and nor am I as it was biopsied at the time).

Perpetual, I'll be thinking of you on Thursday. Please come and update us? Thank you to everyone who replied. Xxx

DrCoconut Mon 02-Oct-17 20:45:19

Great news. I'd wondered how you were too. Good luck perpetual, we'll be thinking of you.

Perpetualstateofchaos Mon 02-Oct-17 20:48:24

That's amazing deezer. Thank you both I'll pop in and update.

Perpetualstateofchaos Thu 05-Oct-17 13:29:36

All clear it's just a gland that can be felt

deezer19 Thu 05-Oct-17 13:52:56

Great news! I'm pleased for you.

itsatiggerday Thu 05-Oct-17 14:05:26

Can I ask what might be a stupid question as you all seem to have some experience? I normally get sore breasts for a couple of days about 4-5 days before my period. This month they've been like that for the last two weeks. I can't feel any unusual lumps, but should I be concerned?

HannsG Thu 05-Oct-17 14:57:22

Good news for you guys who have been given the all clear. Perpetualstateofchaos, where they able to tell this from a mammogram/ultrasound or did you have a fine needle biopsy? X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now