Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone know anything about scabies?

(10 Posts)
itchyitchyscratchy Sat 23-Sep-17 22:42:28

A colleague in work has scabies, we suspect she got it from a client.

She's had it for a while before realising what it was, but has had treatment a few weeks ago. No one in her family got it.

I have been itching really badly all night, hands and feet. There are no marks on me, the way my friend had. Can the itching start before the rash appears??

Oh I really hope it's not, have young dcs and this could be a total nightmare!

itchyitchyscratchy Sun 24-Sep-17 09:11:54

Anyone? Are you are scared of catching it? 😄

Not quite as bad this morning but still an itch! I'm hoping it's all just in my head!!

FinallyDecidedOnUserName Sun 24-Sep-17 09:14:16

Ewww. I'd go & see your GP - pretty sure it can spread quickly.

If you're work is in the health care sector defo report to management.

FinallyDecidedOnUserName Sun 24-Sep-17 09:15:31

https://beta.nhs.uk/conditions/scabies/

Go to pharmacy today & do a preventative treatment.

Aph413 Sun 24-Sep-17 09:15:37

I had it once university halls are disgusting but I had the marks before the itching appeared. It may well just be the suggestion of it making you itch

MsAwesomeDragon Sun 24-Sep-17 09:21:42

You need to be in direct skin to skin contact for a few minutes to catch it from someone. Have you been in such contact with your colleague?

My family had it when dd2 was 6 months, we don't know where we got it from. It took 3 trips to the GP to get it diagnosed because babies don't often get it so we were fobbed off with excema and the rest of us were "itching in sympathy". The treatment was a right PITA, as you put the cream on every inch of everybody at the same time and leave it overnight before washing it off, then need to steam clean/hit wash all soft furnishings like being and sofas. Once we were treated it just cleared up straight away.

SKYTVADDICT Sun 24-Sep-17 09:22:43

My DS had it without marks. In fact the practice nurse we saw said it definitely wasn't scabies as she had seen it lots (even though his nan and grandad had it from nans care home where he visited weekly!). 6 week of eczema treatment later (8 year old ds perfect skin never had eczema!) And lots of driving us all mad scratching saw a dr and yes it was scabies! We all had treatment (head to toe cream - was a fun saturday night's entertainment for 5 of us 😁) and all cleared up. You will need to see someone I think

itchyitchyscratchy Sun 24-Sep-17 09:28:17

Aaargh looks like I am going to have to go and get checked and treat the family too.

I don't work in health care but I do work in a setting where this will be a complete nightmare so i will report to management!

I am now itching like mad, I think a lot of it is in my head!!! hmm

Slartybartfast Sun 24-Sep-17 10:47:59

You need to bag up all clothes, hot wash, tumble dry, use gloves to handle the bedding.
tell tale sign is red tummy button

Slartybartfast Sun 24-Sep-17 10:48:35

www.google.co.uk/search?q=scabies&rlz=1C1VFKB_enGB682GB682&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjGj5u0xb3WAhUmIMAKHb_eA3sQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=662#imgrc=E3lxhlEnKSEb-M:

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now