Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Is a nodule a tumour?

(9 Posts)
TooLazyForDrama Fri 22-Sep-17 18:48:23

Found out today that I have a nodule on my spine. Was pretty blasé about it until somebody told me that a nodule is a tumour. Is that right? A bit freaked out.

Musicaltheatremum Fri 22-Sep-17 20:44:10

A tumour is just a collection of cells. It's how those cells behave that matters. A nodule sounds quite benign

JohnHunter Fri 22-Sep-17 21:05:11

"Tumour" is just a very generic word for a swelling. Who has called this thing on your spine a "nodule"? If they thought it was malignant (i.e. a cancer) then I'm sure they would have said something a little more informative.

Bellabelloo Fri 22-Sep-17 21:08:52

Did this show up on a scan? It is likely that they won't know what it is until they monitor or biopsy it. But 'nodule' certainly doesn't mean it's definitely cancer.

mummyretired Fri 22-Sep-17 21:16:59

As I understand it a nodule is a small lump of less than a certain size. I have 3 in various organs and neither I nor my GP are overly concerned. I've been told that many/most people will have them as they get older, but unless you have a scan you'd never know.

mumof06darlings Fri 22-Sep-17 21:36:23

I have a multinodular goitre and they don't seem bothered by it

TooLazyForDrama Mon 25-Sep-17 11:50:17

Thanks all. It was my GP who called it a nodule. Have been referred for imaging to investigate.

TooLazyForDrama Mon 25-Sep-17 11:52:29

Sorry, no, didn't show up on a scan. The GP could feel it on examination. Went to GP as my back has been getting progressively worse recently and am now getting sciatica in both legs and numbness in my arms and hands.

JohnHunter Mon 25-Sep-17 13:30:02

In that case s/he's probably just using it as shorthand for a "lump". There are lots of things it could be - most of which aren't dangerous. I wouldn't worry for now and hopefully the scan will put your mind at rest soon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: