Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Toenail fungus

(21 Posts)
Pooshweens Fri 22-Sep-17 16:40:26

Ive just removed my nail polish to discover I have this quite badly on my big toe

I'm 37 weeks pregnant, not sure if this has an effect due to low immunity or whatever

How does one get rid of it?! I can't find any conclusive / effective treatment on google

SnooGliffer Fri 22-Sep-17 16:44:58

I've used all sorts of products on mine and used them as described but it was a slight process and it came back the following year. After googling, I read about colloid silver spray being effective. I bought some from Amazon and the improvement in a week was incredible. Even DH who is a GP was impressed.

Pooshweens Fri 22-Sep-17 16:57:23

Thank you Snoo! I've ordered some. How do you use it? Just spray it on bare nails every day?

SnooGliffer Fri 22-Sep-17 17:20:37

Yes, that's what I did. The difference was impressive. Hope it is for you too!

Oblomov17 Fri 22-Sep-17 17:22:55

I have the same. Won't go away despite using 'LOCERYL'.
What exactly did you buy please?

SnooGliffer Fri 22-Sep-17 17:55:14

Apologies for the screenshit but I couldn't get s link to work. This is what I bought. I'd been using Excilor with good results but it was a slow process. I hope the colloidal silver works for you and you don't all end up hating me!

MrsSquiggler Fri 22-Sep-17 18:03:13

Are you sure it is toe fungus? I had ugly white patches on my toenails for ages which I was convinced was fungus but actually it must have been a reaction from wearing nail polish for too long. I stopped wearing polish and the marks went away.

RamblingFar Fri 22-Sep-17 18:07:41

I could only get rid of mine with Terbinafine tablets, which are prescription only. Nothing else worked long term. The sprays/creams would work for a couple of months and then the fungus would come back worse a day spread to yet another toe. Doubt you'd be allowed the tablets whilst pregnant though.

PollyPerky Fri 22-Sep-17 18:39:38

I got rid (almost) with neat tea tree oil rubbed in morning and night, cutting nail down as far as possible, not using nail polish on that nail (unless feet were on show, short term) and going around barefoot as much as poss. There is also a concoction of Listerine and Tea Tree which you use to soak the toe- I did that too.

Mumsnut Fri 22-Sep-17 18:47:38

Vicks Vapour Rub has been praised on here before for suffocating toenail fungus

artiface Fri 22-Sep-17 20:04:05

Another vote for Vicks vapour rub, definitely cleared mine. If you can keep away from the nail polish that would be good, but if you feel the need to cover it from time to time you can buy a 'breathable' polish called Dr's Remedy.

buckbeak Fri 22-Sep-17 20:11:33

@SnooGliffer how often do you put it on? Just bought some for DH

IncyWincySpiderOnRepeat Fri 22-Sep-17 20:55:03

I had this for ages and used Nailner for months with no effect. If you are in the U.K. Boots do their own brand of fungal nail paint (in a grey and blue box)which worked brilliantly for me after a few weeks. Not sure if it is ok to use when pregnant tho so best to check with the pharmacist before trying it...

AnnieAnoniMouse Fri 22-Sep-17 21:04:31

I'd been having my nails done at a Nail Bar for ages - maybe 3 years, so hadn't seen them naked in forever, but earlier in the year I'd run out of time to get them done before I was going away so took the polish off myself ready to cut them etc and I was appalled at the state my nails were in. They were all weird & sort of brittle but thin and cracking...most odd. I'm not sure if there was a fungus involved or not really, but coconut oil seems to be doing the job of making them healthy again & would probably do so sooner if I used it regularly! Lots of posters swore by it on another thread.

I've sworn off nail bars for life.

SnooGliffer Sat 23-Sep-17 07:25:57

@buckbeak I just sprayed it on and around the affected nails (there were 3) and made sure a bit got under the nail as best I could. I just let it dry naturally before getting dressed. That method seemed to work for me.

ForeverHopeful21 Sun 24-Sep-17 10:29:46

AnnieAnoniMouse if you continually have polish on your nails then they can become dry and brittle and can even appear white looking. Especially if you have the same polish on for weeks at a time.
It often happens with toes as they tend to be thicker and naturally drier anyway (which is why polish stays on so long). Also toenails have more chance of sweat creeping in under old gel or polish. This isn't the fault of the nail bar. Having naked nails once in a while, changing the polish regularly and using a cuticle oil daily will do the trick.

As for fungal nail infection, the best treatment is prescription medication from your GP. Some of the over counter treatments aren't strong enough if the infection is advanced.

Pooshweens Mon 25-Sep-17 21:30:38

Snoo - I've been spraying on the silver colloidal stuff

Will I see an improvement with the white bits going away, or just as it grows out do you think?

I've also got some breathable nail polish on the way as I live in flip flops and it's very unsightly for people, so hopefully it'll still
Work through that

butterfly56 Mon 25-Sep-17 21:52:31

Another vote for colloidal silver for it's anti fungal, antibiotic and antibacterial properties. It was used widely by people for years before drug companies introduced antibiotics!

LittleLights Mon 25-Sep-17 21:55:06

<goes off to google breathable nail polish>

pollywollydoodle Mon 25-Sep-17 22:12:21

Vicks was effective here too

Pooshweens Thu 28-Sep-17 12:54:43

I've been using colloidal silver for toenail fungus and also some very stubborn athletes foot which I've had for months - athletes food has cleared up with just a few days of spraying!

Amazing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now