Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Flu vaccine for 9 year old.

(6 Posts)
Therewere5inthebed Wed 20-Sep-17 14:09:54

I always have a flu jab as I'm self employed and flu is really bloody nasty. I had it once and never want it again if I can help it.

My daughter is 9 and I've enquired at local pharmacies and with our GP about her having the nasal spray privately, no pharmacies locally offer vaccinations to under 18's and the GP has said that she can't have it as she's not at increased risk, not even privately.

It seems really unfair that I can choose to protect myself but can't protect my DD.

They are running a trails at her primary school this year for the nasal spray but it stops at yr 4.

Does anyone have any idea where I can get this done or managed to get vaccinated under the same circumstances?

Musicaltheatremum Wed 20-Sep-17 18:31:20

I thought all primary school age children got it. They do in Scotland.

ragged Wed 20-Sep-17 18:53:19

No, not where I live, either (England). I found some places that offer it privately to kids, 90 minute drive away. I've decided not to worry about it.

Musicaltheatremum Wed 20-Sep-17 23:45:35

That's really interesting. I had (obviously wrongly) assumed that although health is a devolved matter that things like giving flu vaccination to primary kids would be UK wide. A private GP might do it.
We are suppose to be getting the worst flu season for over 10 years this year. A colleague who moved to Australia says that they are still getting cases and sling starts this weekend.
I gave my first 3 today as we received 500 yesterday kids vaccines won't come until early October though.

slippermaiden Thu 21-Sep-17 09:57:07

I have twins, in year 5. My son and I get the flu vaccine, I get it for being a healthcare worker and an asthmatic, my son gets it for being asthmatic. My daughter and husband don't get it, but I see it that if you're strong and healthy you are less likely to get it, and 2 people in the house won't be bringing the flu virus into the home. At school, years reception to 4 get the vaccine so those kids won't be sharing germs. If she's healthy she probably won't get flu.

Deano142 Thu 02-Nov-17 19:07:38

Have a look at superdrug, they offer it to kids at their clinics, we are looking to take both of ours this week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now