Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Baby refusing bottle

(4 Posts)
rperrina Tue 19-Sep-17 13:09:56

Hi, not sure this is the right forum topic but here goes...

My son who is 5.5 months refuses bottles and can go a day without eating very much at all. He's gaining weight (I think) he's happy alert and healthy. I've started to feed him ready break with 2oz of his formula in the morning which he will eat and he has a pouch of hipp purée food throughout the day. Probe only has 1/2 a day!

Milk wise...I try to give him 6oz at 10. I'm lucky if he eats 3oz of it. 2pm again 6oz but will only have about 4/5 oz 6pm is 5oz. 10pm he will have between 6/7oz and then at 3/4am he will have 3/4oz. I used gripe water, tried infacol. Basically it's a constant fight to give him milk.

I'm now thinking of cutting out his 10am bottle completely in the hope he will drink more at 2. Just thinking of keeping up with porridge and then giving him extra food feeds in the mornings.

Any help or advice would be great. Going to get him weighed next week too

Thanks

underneaththeash Tue 19-Sep-17 20:01:39

I suspect your teat is too slow (or even too fast). I'd try a slower/faster teat, or even a different bottle type. My DD was very fussy with bottles.

Alternatively, could he have a tummy upset, have his nappies been normal?

Wolfiefan Tue 19-Sep-17 20:03:18

If you're worried get him weighed regularly to see if he's gaining or losing weight.

rperrina Tue 19-Sep-17 21:08:10

He's on the fastest teat to try and get it down him. The other one was too slow I think.

He can cope with it well he just doesn't like drinking milk. Nappies are normal, it's a fight to get him to drink it. When he does he will drink 3oz have some gripe water wait a bit and drink a bit more but he's defiantly better in the evening. Morning is terrible and if we are out I've got no hope sad

Think I'm going to wean him asap

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now