Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Borderline pcos - bored of waiting for period

(7 Posts)
BeeMyBaby Mon 11-Sep-17 12:36:09

So for 19 years i have dealt with never knowing when my period would show up, when I was 19 i was told I had borderline pcos because I do have high testostorone, but I was not very overweight and I didn't look furry (I have been using IPL on my beard since I was about 17). My period comes every 6-12 weeks, I am not overweight just now, I do exercise (but I also have a high sugar diet), and I think I'm at about 80 days since my last period. I tried to track it on a free app but they only go up to 70 days in the ones I tried. I suppose I should be happy i don't have to deal with my period more often but the waiting it quite annoying and I'm unsure if the longer i go between them the worse my mood gets. Or perhaps as my mood has been pretty bad of late, it's scaring away my AF. Anyone else out there who hates the never knowing? Did you ever find anyway to try to track it?

Rosecoffee Mon 11-Sep-17 14:27:30

Hi op! I recently went without my period for around 65 days and I found that it really effected my mood, I seemed to get PMS on and off the whole time I was waiting for my period to come. My skin was also flared up Due to my hormones I think! Now I've got my period I haven't stopped bleeding for a month and it's been really heavy so I don't really know what's going on.

Have you been back to the doctors about it?

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 11-Sep-17 14:41:51

Its a very individualistic order that affects each woman with it very differently. What may be a problem for one woman is not for another. The commonality is the cystic follicles on the ovaries; these can and do disappear only to be replaced by further cystic follicles.

PCOS is a condition that does not go away on its own; physical problems like this cause such problems to arise in the first instance.

BeeMyBaby Mon 11-Sep-17 17:10:35

@rosecoffee - I've not been to the gp as there isn't much point, I have children, so it's not a fertility issue and I'm scared of hormonal contraceptives as I put o n loads of weight with them when I was younger plus any increased cancer risk is not ok with me as a lot of my relatives have had cancer so I'm already probably predisposed to it, plus my periods are about twice as heavy as the 'average ' so I don't necessarily want it every month, every 6 weeks would be fine (but 3 months is taking the p*ss). However I don't know how I would cope with a month of bleeding, What did the doctor say?

@atilkathemeerkat i had a scan when I was younger and they couldn't see anything wrong and it looked as though I was just about to ovulate (but then it was over a month till my period actually ca me)

I think doctors don't care, they have other things which are much more important to worry about, but I just want to know how do people cope? I wear white on occasion for a month after my period then avoid all light colour clothes until it arrives in case it suddenly turns up and ruins my clothes.

trinity0097 Mon 11-Sep-17 21:03:34

My doctor thinks I have pcos, I would ave to come off the pill for a definitive answer. I have highly irregular periods on the pill I'm on though. My way of coping is to permanently wear a panty liner. The long plus always ones are great and hold a decent amount so you can then swap to something bigger when you realise something's up!

I can't stand the smell though of them, so I buy them a few months in advance, open the packet and leave them to air in my spare room! Nothing else has come close in comfort and actually working.

BeeMyBaby Sat 07-Oct-17 10:46:45

I'm now at over 100 days since my last period. Anyone want to join me in waiting for a period?

Polkadotties Sat 07-Oct-17 13:14:41

I have PCOS, my periods were always regularish. Never more than 5 weeks. I'm not hairy or had bad acne. I am, however, insulin resistant, have to eat low carb to maintain or lose weight. I put on weight just looking at bread. I also have depression linked to PCOS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now