Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Bleeding after smear test

(19 Posts)
uka888 Mon 21-Aug-17 13:12:02

Hi,
I went for my first smear test this morning(im 33 and have put it off and put it off which now I feel silly about).
The nurse was really friendly but it took her a few minutes to locate my cervix as she said it was at an odd angle, her moving around a little to find it caused some bleeding. She asked if I bleed after sex which I don't, I said was the bleeding something to be worried about she said no because it was my first one she would expect me to bleed. At the end though she said it was quite hard for her to get a proper swoop due to the bleeding so the results may show I need to have a further test. I'm still bleeding a little now, she said it may last up to 24 hours or it may have préempted by period to start early (due next week). I'm now really worried about the results, she said it's all fine and lots of people are years late having the test done and not to worry but I am worried?

Fauxtatoes Mon 21-Aug-17 13:14:44

Where are you in your cycle OP?

I've never bled after a smear but I've had a lot of rummaging in there due to fertility issues.

GiveMeTheTeaAndNobodyGetsHurt Mon 21-Aug-17 13:16:41

I always bleed a little after a smear, it's very normal.

uka888 Mon 21-Aug-17 13:41:45

Im due on next week, the nurse said that could be the reason for the bleeding, she didn't seem concerned at all especially when I said I haven't bled after sex, but I'm just worried she thinks it's bad news but doesn't want to tell me lol!

StylishDuck Mon 21-Aug-17 14:05:33

Last time I had a smear my period started later that day, even though I wasn't due for another 5 days. Apparently it's quite common.

meltingmarshmallows Mon 21-Aug-17 14:11:19

I always bleed after a smear. Doesn't matter when I have it or the circumstances. Apparently it's pretty normal.

TroysMammy Mon 21-Aug-17 15:05:02

I always bled after a smear. After 9 years post treatment for CIN, I don't need one this year, yippee!

TroysMammy Mon 21-Aug-17 15:06:01

That should read after having yearly smears for 9 years post treatment.

ForeverHopeful21 Mon 21-Aug-17 19:25:11

I have a tilted cervix and always bleed after smear unfortunately.
I've also had to be retested on a couple of occasions because the test hasn't been done properly due to the difficult angle.

At my last smear I was asked to put my bum in the air, holding my hips up off the bed, wobbling about all over the place because she couldn't find the end of my cervix! It was so painful and painfully embarrassing!

thatorchidmoment Mon 21-Aug-17 19:32:42

Normal for a bit of bleeding after a smear. Also normal not to bleed. Don't worry unduly OP! Hope your results are all fine.

chloesmumtoo Tue 22-Aug-17 16:05:52

I always bleed now after smear too and the nurse said being on the pill causes it to happen moreso.

kbb23 Tue 22-Aug-17 20:39:43

I recently had a smear and bled during the smear. I then started spotting and light bleeding the following day with cramps. It only lasted a day and I was really worried too. However my results have come back clear. The nurse told me it can be quite common to bleed a little bit after as when they use the brush to scrape the cells it can aggravate the cervix a little as it's a very sensitive place. Try not to worry too much I am sure it will be fine.

uka888 Wed 30-Aug-17 14:34:15

Hi ,
I have received a letter from the doctor following my smear test saying that the nurse spoke to the doctor last week after my smear to ask her advice as I had some bleeding from my cervix. The doctor thinks it would be a good idea to make an appointment to have a look at my cervix to check that it looks normal. I have just rang the doctors to make an appointment but now I'm really worried. I got a little upset on the phone and the receptionist said there is nothing on the notes to suggest I should be worried and the nurse thought everything looked normal, the doctor is just following it up to check. Has anyone else been called in after a smear test? I'm really worried :-(

terrylene Wed 30-Aug-17 14:56:11

confused
No, never, and I bleed every time since they introduced those bottle brush thingies. And every time they tell me I have an 'erosion' but its ok and not important hmm

It might be a thrushy infection or something, but hopefully it is just an over cautious nurse wink

uka888 Wed 30-Aug-17 14:57:47

I'm really worried that the nurse has seen something she hasn't told me.

terrylene Wed 30-Aug-17 15:03:35

Do you have long to wait? Nurses used to just get a doctor in if it was something they are not sure about - this just seems a rather long winded version grin

uka888 Wed 30-Aug-17 15:08:10

This Friday late afternoon is my appointment. That's what I don't understand really , obviously the doctor was in on the day as the letter says the nurse popped in to see her after I had left, thèn thèy sent the letter last Thursday but I've only just received it today. On the day the nurse said she wasn't concerned at all about the bleeding and I shouldn't be worried - but now I'm worried sick the doctor wants to exam me 😒.

demirose87 Wed 30-Aug-17 15:13:04

I've never bled after a smear but I have bled after sex and was examined by the doctor and sent for a colposcopy. It showed that I had a tiny polyp that was harmless and nothing to worry about. A separate time my smear results were abnormal, but at the colposcopy there was nothing there. Try not to worry OP. It's probably nothing serious and if it is, you're being examined soon and whatever it is can be sorted out x

terrylene Wed 30-Aug-17 15:22:00

I would ask the doctor for a clear explanation of what the problem is before any examination. Most doctors worth their salt would do this anyway. Maybe write down what you want to know before you go? (Use what you have written here to help you)

It feels worrying because they haven't told you properly what is going on so you feel out of control IYSWIM. I would too.

I can't think of anything terrible it could be - hopefully it is a fuss over nothing, and at least you do not have to wait too long flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: