Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

New hysterectomy support thread

(76 Posts)
lasttimeround Wed 02-Aug-17 07:25:10

Come one come all for everything hysterectomy related

Discuss procedures, pre op preparation, post op healing. And whatever else crops up.

lasttimeround Wed 02-Aug-17 07:38:21

Good link works. Now I hope we migrate.

Yesterday was my first day of feeling bored. I can't do much yet. I csn stand or walk for 10 mins and no visitors yesterday and I'm getting fed up of Netflix. I'm a bit worried about this...wierd as I'm generally a cerebral person who's quite happy sitting on her arse all day.

Ideas for how to pass the time? I think what's thrown me is my odd concentration. It's very short and I can't sustain much. That limits reading. Certainly no work while I'm like this. I also get nauseous reading altho that's improving too. I think this is all that GA. It's a bit extreme. But I had 2 ops. It's improving but I'm just quite battered. Anyone have nice diverting activities to recommend?

fenneltea Wed 02-Aug-17 09:16:12

Glad I've found you, I'm still in bed today, coming home involved a fair bit of walking and standing about which has left me quite sore. I think I need to take the dressings off today and the thought is making me queasy. I'm also very bruised and feeling battered.
I think the trouble with any resting is that it is fine until you have to do it, which is when you don't want to!
I've got a load of curtains to alter, but I think it will be too much pulling about.
I also had big ideas about learning a new language, so hopefully when I am less tired and drugged up my brain will function better.
I might order an embroidery kit or something to keep my hands busy.

We were planning on going for a short break at the back end of the year, so I could look into places to go, but I've got no enthusiasm yet.
God I soud such a moaner reading that back, I do apologise!

TwitterQueen1 Wed 02-Aug-17 10:51:24

last
Any photos you need to sort? I keep telling myself to start on this but it's such a massive job I can't even begin....
MN obviously..
menu planning?

tbh, I've just been watching crap on the tv. It's all I can deal with.

On another note, is it normal for the scar to still be bleeding after nearly 4 weeks? It's just one place (lower abdomen) and not a lot, but I don't like it. The practice nurse doesn't seem bothered and put a dressing on it. I've stopped the injections in an attempt to get it to heal. [FYI: cancer patient, so body is not 100%]

lazycrazyhazy Wed 02-Aug-17 13:24:47

Checking in. Yup bored out of my mind here. Hence I've been doing too much and got well and truly told off yesterday. House is like a madhouse so am now trying to withdraw more. Find it hard to concentrate on reading which I usually love and TV seems to be 999 channels of crap at this time of year!

lasttimeround Wed 02-Aug-17 16:34:15

Photos are a good idea but daunting...I haven't even done our wedding ones. blush

Twitter - the bleeding sounds not right. I've an abdominal incision too. Looks very closed and has done since few days post op. I do seem to heal up v fast, but ask your doctor again.

Its weird to be so restless and yet not have much concentration

tobee Wed 02-Aug-17 18:28:36

I had a subtotal hysterectomy two years ago because of a fibroid causing monstrously heavy periods. Anyway, I'm on holiday and found an old things to pack list on my laptop and there was sanitary towels written in block caps! So nice to not have to take them or find a shop that sells decent size ones. I also purchased some skimpy, lacy knicks and some white clothing.

Hoping it doesn't seem too shallow to say this and that you'll find it something to look forward to! smile

tobee Wed 02-Aug-17 18:33:31

Twitter can you ring your consultant about the bleeding? Maybe the practise nurse is a bit too casual?

tobee Wed 02-Aug-17 18:36:29

lasttime talking books were my saviour when my concentration was post operatively shot. Especially short stories and stuff I already knew so it didn't matter if I drifted off.

lazycrazyhazy Wed 02-Aug-17 22:25:09

Yes I have found audiobook downloads (I use Audible) to be the best way to concentrate.

lasttimeround Thu 03-Aug-17 06:38:48

All good suggestions but the weirdest thing is I have so much energy. I used to need a lie down after lunch and very early bed. I have caring responsibilities meaning I'm often up at night so I wasn't sure as they say fibroids don't cause fatigue. But I think mine sucked the life out of me. Not anemia from the periods altho I had that too before my mirena but just the effort of keeping those bloody huge tumours alive.
So I've been lying about listening to audio books for years cos I was always tired. Now I'm not. It's almost scary: what might I do??!!!

TwitterQueen1 Thu 03-Aug-17 10:37:32

The bleeding seems to have stopped - it wasn't very much, I'm just very squeamish and don't like the sight of blood - especially my own. I took the dressing off this am so we'll see...

BG2015 Thu 03-Aug-17 11:49:08

I'm 8 weeks post op and went back to the gym this week.

I regularly do a Zumba class and pre-op I had to use an incontince pad/SAN pro because any jumping up and down resulted in major urine leakage. I had even considered my Zumba days being over at one point.

Yesterday at Zumba it didn't happen once!! I'm amazed. My bloomin fibroids must have been pushing on my bladder big time. I can't tell you how happy this makes me.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my happy news.

fenneltea Thu 03-Aug-17 16:55:08

That is good news BG, I'm feeling really tired today and my temperature has crept up slightly, it was high after surgery but seemed to settle overnight when they took my blanket away and gave me a fan, so I'm hoping it's just a blip. Wound sites look okay, but I couldn't do the injection myself and my poor daughter had to step up to the plate.
I can't even stand up straight, so would be delighted if I could do zumba soon, here's hoping!

TwitterQueen1 Thu 03-Aug-17 18:43:28

The very idea of doing Zumba makes me wince...

Fennel my temp and blood pressure were all over the place post-op.

I made it clear that I was unable to do the injections myself so my fantastic surgery and district nurses did them for me.

fenneltea Thu 03-Aug-17 18:51:06

Its reassuring that your temp was all over too twitter, I haven't a clue when to restart bp meds and the hospital seemed a bit vague about it when I asked, so I'll just wait until Im off heparin and start monitoring it. I've only two more injections to go.

BG2015 Thu 03-Aug-17 19:48:25

Zumba will happen believe me

And sex

And wearing white trousers

And not having to carry towels, tampons and spare underwear!

lasttimeround Fri 04-Aug-17 00:21:22

Oh BG I can't wait!
I overdid it slightly and could fetlock mh internal stitches pulling on my walk. Ouch.

I still feel like I've got this enormous stone in my belly. Round about my abdominal incision- same site as c-section scar. Is it supposed to feel like that?

Whaambulance Fri 04-Aug-17 19:14:53

Hello! I'm just over a year from my total hysterectomy and bso , and a year on from debunking surgery. My big incision felt odd for a long time,my GP reassured me that it was bruising from the layers of tissue that had been cut. It still feels weird, but the heavy feeling has gone.

Rosemary203 Mon 07-Aug-17 21:53:21

Right so I am now 17days post op. I didn't really bleed for more than a day after the op but have suddenly started bleeding with clots. Nobody told me what to expect so not sure if this is normal or if i need to ring the doctors x

BG2015 Tue 08-Aug-17 07:43:04

It will be your internal stitches dissolving. Did you have your cervix removed? If so that's what it will be.

But, if you're worried then contact your surgery.

Rosemary203 Tue 08-Aug-17 08:41:28

Ahh thank you. As I said nobody told me what to expect. The sight of big clots is a tad scary after not really having anything after the op.
I'm definitely more achey low down in my pelvic area than I have been x

lasttimeround Tue 08-Aug-17 08:52:32

It's weird how they just discharge you with no real medical supervised aftercare. I only have a leaflet which in part recommends swimming after week 2 or 3 provided no discharge - but online everyone's horrified and I'm scared of an infection. Gp has called and I'll get some blood tests done next week. But no 6 week check up or anything is scheduled. I've made an appointment for 4 weeks with gp in any case and will ask for a medical check through. I just want someone to give me a proper opinion. I still havd to w8gk at emptying my bladder completely. The last little bit feels odd almost sore. I remember the same after my c-section and a nurse telling me it's important to empty completely as otherwise you can get UTIs

Rosemary - I think some bleeding happens when your internal stitches dissolve (usually around day 10 but i guess theres variation) allowing old blood in the abdominal cavity to exit through the vagina. If it's old and you had some internal bleeding I guess that means clots. Any pain or fever and I wouldn't be shy of seeking medical attention

Rosemary203 Tue 08-Aug-17 09:18:12

I have asked the GP to give me a call ask I have just passed (sorry TMI) a clot the size of my fist .

The leaflet I was given was very basic and also said I could bathe immediately after surgery - yet when I mentioned it to my aunt who is a nurse in another part of the country she was horrified and said not to for atleast three weeks. There seems to be such varied information out there with everybody seemingly having different opinions.
I agree with the tail end of passing urine being sore, I'm prone to Uti's so am waiting with baited breath hoping it doesn't go that way.

Last time how are you feeling in yourself? I feel so much better than I thought I would - which is prob the cause of my bleeding - feel good - think I'm some kind of super hero and over do it x

lazycrazyhazy Tue 08-Aug-17 15:40:10

My leaflet was also basic ."What to expect after surgery". I saw my surgeon 2 weeks post op and went with a list of questions.

I'm 3 weeks post op now. I think my vaginal hysterectomy (no flesh incision) has settled down well but I am still in discomfort from the anterior and posterior vaginal wall repair which also means I can't bath as it's full of stitches. My friend had the vaginall hysterectomy surgery alone and had pain from the new vault they create (her surgeon called it a cuff) so I can't tell what pain is from what but the loss is constant and light brown like several weeks after childbirth. monitoring it for infection as feel so down and have a headache.

I also had Sacrospinous fixation of the bladder. Can't tell if that's causing discomfort but it's why I can't drive yet.

Having been wired, as if on speed or caffeine for the first week I'm now exhausted all the time and feel quite low and snappy, even weepy.

Peace is hard to find chez Crazylazyhazy (emphasis on the crazy) so maybe that's why. I think my family is fed up and think I'm malingering.... wish I'd taken my DD who drove me to check up in to meeting as surgeon stressed I'd had 4 operations in one session "major surgery" but I look okayish.

I haven't lost any stitches at all yet.

Rosemary, glad you've informed GP clots are always a sign of heavy bleeding. Hopefully nothing to worry about but best to be sure. Hope you're okay and thinking of you all my fellow Hysterics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now