Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone know anything about blood pressure readings?

(9 Posts)
LaurieFairyCake Wed 12-Jul-17 20:05:50

Just had mine done and it's 130 over 112. I don't know what this means confused

WhatKatyDidnt Wed 12-Jul-17 20:09:24

Bottom number is pretty high <technical>

Hope you're ok OP.

ew1990 Wed 12-Jul-17 20:14:35

One of them means the rate of which blood is being pumped TO the heart and the other the rate it is being pumped FROM the heart, I'm not sure which is which though

NinaMarieP Wed 12-Jul-17 20:16:35

130 is the systolic pressure - the pressure in the arteries as the heart contracts. 112 is the diastolic - the pressure between beats.

The diastolic would normally be more like 80 in a healthy adult.

Hookedoncatnip Wed 12-Jul-17 20:18:29

Sounds a wee bit high to me. My knowledge is limited though!

PersianCatLady Wed 12-Jul-17 20:23:10

Are you sure that the bottom reading is 112??

Here is a link that explains blood pressure readings -
www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Thebasics/Bloodpressurechart

theresamustgo Wed 12-Jul-17 20:25:34

Both high. Bottom one Really matters. Better to be under 90. I had same and have been eating beetroot, losing weight, doing hand grip exercises.

eyestightshut Wed 12-Jul-17 20:26:54

Ahem, blood pressure is a measurement of the force exerted by blood being pushed through your arteries. The systolic pressure (top number) reflects the amount of pressure exerted by the blood on the wall of the arteries as it is forced out of the left ventricle of the heart as it contracts. The diastolic pressure (bottom number) reflects the pressure exerted as the heart muscle relaxes and the ventricle refills.although th bottom number is high, you need to look at the context within which it was measured. Most GPs will want to see a number of readings to be able to see if it is a one off freak reading or a persistent thing.

DownstairsMixUp Wed 12-Jul-17 20:27:36

Top one is ok, bottom one is far too high. Go to your practice nurse, they will probably want to check it once a week for 3 weeks and if you keep getting high readings do an ecg and a 24 hour bp most likely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now