Talk

Advanced search

Thumb joint pain and toe joint pain - what's causing it and are they connected?

(16 Posts)
MrsGotobed Mon 10-Jul-17 20:12:26

Both thumb joints at the base (around the soft fleshy bit) hurt plus one joint around the base of my big toe on the top of my foot hurts.

Sometimes it's worse than others

I've had blood tests and nothing has shown up and Xrays of my hands have shown some wear and tear in a finger joint.

Is this just (yet another) perimenopausal thing?

OP’s posts: |
Frouby Mon 10-Jul-17 20:15:06

I don't but I have the same. Also in my shoulder and knees. Sigh.

Am 40 this year and thought all this was a while off. Periods are just starting to change a bit and I only have to look at bread to put 2lb on so am thinking premenopausal symptoms too.

NomDePlumeReloaded Mon 10-Jul-17 20:19:46

My first thought was gout.

MrsGotobed Mon 10-Jul-17 20:57:19

I don't think it's gout (none of the warmth, swelling, redness and doesn't follow the pattern generally)

Frouby my knees too actually. I hadn't lumped it in with the thumb and toe joints though as my knees have always been knackered. I'm 50 but been going downhill gradually since 40 (sorry to be the bearer of bad news)

noitsnotteattimeyet Mon 10-Jul-17 22:41:31

I have this ... 'wear and tear' according to my GP. I also have severe arthritis in my kneecap although weirdly the rest of the joint is absolutely fine ... 'tis age I'm afraid..,

Keep active and slim and use painkillers when needed - I find voltarol gel more effective than ibuprofen tablets

nigelsbigface Mon 10-Jul-17 22:48:50

Arthritis?

mineofuselessinformation Mon 10-Jul-17 22:53:26

Sounds like osteoarthritis, but you should be referred to a consultant to confirm it.
If it is, there is little you can do, except control pain and try to prevent further injury - I wear thumb splints, not elegant, but they really help.

MrsGotobed Tue 11-Jul-17 08:22:07

I also think it's age and arthritis/osteoarthritis but wouldn't these have shown up in the blood tests or Xrays?

I have recently tried Ibuprofen gel on my thumb joints but TBH it's so impractical as I always seem to need to wash my hands at some point soon after applying so not sure if it helps.

I do try and keep fit and active (walking, gym etc) and am a size 12 so not carrying lots of excess weight (just that middle-age spread round the middle that won't shift regardless!)

teaandakitkat Tue 11-Jul-17 08:24:19

I have osteoarthritis in my big toes. It won't show up on a blood test but you should see something on the x-ray I would think. My toe joints are clearly all mis-shapen on an x-ray.

MrsGotobed Tue 11-Jul-17 08:42:52

The Xray I had was of my hands but only showed wear and tear in one joint.

Today the pain seems to be on the top of my foot rather than around the toe but I did go for a long walk yesterday evening which may have aggravated it.

MrsGotobed Tue 11-Jul-17 10:05:34

The one joint was a finger joint that doesn't give any pain by the way confused

whojamaflip Tue 11-Jul-17 10:13:10

I had something similar in my feet and ankles for years - am a runner so assumed it was due to that. I would wake in the morning and hobble to the bathroom - everything felt stiff and sore but would wear off over the course of the day.

What worked for me was cutting wheat out of my diet - was diagnosed with IBS and wheat is one of my triggers. Was wheat free for about a year when I went to stay at a friends and ate wheat as I didn't want to cause a fuss hmm. 2 days later I had all my painful joint symptoms back (hadn't noticed they'd gone away blush iykwim)

Now I know if I cave in and have bread or anything with wheat in I will be hobbling again within a couple of days.

Just a thought.....

Frouby Tue 11-Jul-17 18:58:14

It's funny you should say that who. My knees felt better last week. I had cut bread out to lose a few lbs (cant lose weight when I eat bread). Had toast on Sunday and a sandwich yesterday and my knee really hurts again today.

I have just been googling supplements that might help with joint pain. And remembered that my mam has severe vitamin d deficiency and it makes her joints ache too so might pop to Holland and Barrett to see what they have.

KaalaTzvya Sat 15-Jun-19 23:54:08

Did you ever find out what it was? My right thumb (I’m left-handed) first started bothering me in my 20s, then in my 30s the left thumb, now in my 40s the left big toe. It feels like it’s all the same joint, at the base where joins the hand/foot. GP says tendinitis and recommends braces - but it never goes away. Just had full auto-immune workup and x-rays and have been told nothing is wrong. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Benam Tue 17-Dec-19 21:50:35

It’s happened to me 6 month , start with left hand thumb then after toe month left foot big toe , after 4 month then right hand thumb ..
Do you have any idea why happened, done xray and blood report says Uric acid in within the limit and normal .
Please suggest me what are you doing to get cure.

Benam Tue 17-Dec-19 21:52:30

It’s happened to me 6 month , start with left hand thumb , after two month left foot big toe , after 4 month right hand thumb ..
Do you have any idea why happened, done xray and blood report says Uric acid in within the limit and normal .
Please suggest me what are you doing to get cure.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »