Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Migraines!

(25 Posts)
user784204 Sun 09-Jul-17 19:42:15

Hello all,

Advice would be very much appreciated! Mum is currently in bed with an awful migraine and has been since Friday. (I've seen her plenty of times with them before but none as bad as this). She's used up her usual migraine medication and I've already scheduled a doctors appointment for tomorrow afternoon.

She's got water on her bedside, tiger oil under her nose and a tight cloth around her forehead with a wet flannel over the top.

Is there anything else you'd recommend? She's barely spoken, only to answer '9' on a pain scale and to tell me she wants to pull her teeth out it's that bad. She's never dramatic so I know the pain in genuine!

Please help, any little tips would be appreciated! And sorry to disturb your Sunday evening! X

NickMyLipple Sun 09-Jul-17 19:47:05

I can empathise as a fellow migraine sufferer!

My partner also suffers, he he gets status migrainosus - a migraine for days at a time, sometimes as much as a week. I guess this could be what your mum is suffering with, but I would recommend you called 111 and got a doctor out to check on her - they can give her injectable medication and rule out any other neurological problems which could be causing this - if her medicine isn't working, her pain is so severe and the headache is different to her normal migraine then she needs to be checked.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sun 09-Jul-17 19:47:58

What meds has she had? Did the migraine respond at all to the first dose? Has she taken any more since then? Does she believe this is a "normal" migraine for her or is it significantly different?

Magic cures for migraine don't really exist in my experience, however has she tried anything with caffeine to drink? A cup of tea, a coffee, or even a can of full fat coke? Coke really helps me, but only the sugary variety.

Ice pack on her head and neck? Also very helpful for me.

DaisyChainsForever Sun 09-Jul-17 19:50:43

I suffered a lot with migraines before I came off the pill. A cold bath with the lights off used to work wonders. (Although I would need help getting in/out as standing up-right was a problem).

user784204 Sun 09-Jul-17 20:04:14

Thank you so much!! I immediately rushed off to make her a sweet tea which she appreciates.

I was on the verge of calling 111 earlier but hesitated as I didn't want to waste their time with something they might deem unecessary confused but I think if she doesn't improve soon I might give them a ring

She's on the nasal sumatriptan (of which she's run out) and has also taken effervescent codeine and paracetamol tablets

This migraine is very different in terms of her pain, she's generally very used to them and so will take some medication, rest for perhaps an hour, before pottering on about the house as usual. This one however has slightly faded at times - just enough for her to come downstairs for a bit - but then comes back all guns blazing sad

I hadn't thought of the ice pack though or the cold bath! I will try those now!

Thank you for all your help!

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Sun 09-Jul-17 20:07:17

It won't hurt to call 111, they will ask you questions and prioritise accordingly so it won't be wasting their time. Better safe than sorry I think. Hope your mum feels better soon flowers

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Sun 09-Jul-17 20:08:42

Should add, what's concerning is this is different to her "usual" migraine. I think that needs checking out, particularly as she's in a lot of pain. It may all be ok, but it's always best to check.

Witchend Sun 09-Jul-17 20:11:16

Where is the headache? Is it in the usual place?
One way I can tell a migraine is that it's centred in the middle of my eyebrow typically. One that isn't starting there for me is almost unheard of.
If it's at the back of her head and he neck is stiff (can she kiss her knee?) then go to A&E now.

Hawkmoth Sun 09-Jul-17 20:13:03

Yes, check it out if it's different. Absolutely, I would.

I had come on to recommend Magnesium which works for me. The Triptans stopped working but I'm five for five with Magnesium stopping the attack before headache.

Today I had one out and about without any Mg tablets. I'd forgotten just how bad they were. Made a right knob of myself not being able to talk.

Many many sympathies to your mum.

FaithAgain Sun 09-Jul-17 20:13:16

Definitely call 111 if it's that bad. It's worth getting her to put her feet in warm water and have the cold compress on her head. Apparently it diverts blood flow away from the head and eases the pressure. It has helped me in the past (my feet are always freezing with a migraine).

Hawkmoth Sun 09-Jul-17 20:15:09

Oh and also tell her not to rub where the headache is so hard that it distracts from the migraine but leaves her with a huge difficult to explain bruise. That was a silly thing I did.

OutandIntoday Sun 09-Jul-17 20:15:14

Gp came to the house on day 2 of mine- call.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sun 09-Jul-17 20:17:59

111 would be valid and not at all a waste of time. I also take the nasal Imigran, and it's been ineffectual of late.

A significant shift in migraine presentations would be worth the phone call. Head pain can be linked to blood pressure and all sorts of things, and I think most migraineurs will admit they have a high pain threshold, so if she's really struggling like this, it's worth having it looked at in more depth asap.

user784204 Sun 09-Jul-17 20:50:52

Cannot thank you all enough for your persistence in calling 111 - they said it should be alright but to call back immediately if it gets any worse. Also got a nurse calling in a bit to check she's ok and that it hasn't developed further.

Bloody panicked for a bit when he put me on hold to talk to a paramedic though! But now I feel a lot calmer about it. And as you suggested, for now I know it's nothing more serious.

Will try the warm feet cool head technique!

Sorry if it all sounds a bit pathetic - I'm only 19 and really needed some advice so thank you !!! flowers

user784204 Sun 09-Jul-17 20:53:13

@Hawkmoth oh dear! Perhaps you could come up with some hardcore reason as to how you got it? Rescuing someone in a fight?! Haha. I do hope is subsides though!! flowers

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sun 09-Jul-17 20:55:30

Don't worry user, there are lots of us out here. I started up a regular migraine thread a wee while ago, and am waiting to see my GP to ask for a neurology referral after 20 years of migraine including stroke symptoms and an A&E trip begging for help.

Hopefully your mum feels better very soon, but tell her shes not alone and certainly I'm sending her huge best wishes and hope for pain free sleep tonight.

PS even if she does feel better before her GP appointments, she should still go to get more meds and discuss her options when they don't work.

Chestervase1 Sun 09-Jul-17 20:59:43

If you have a chemist open try some Syndol tablets. The formula has been changed but they are still good. I was recommended them when I had swine flu and couldn't even put my head on a pillow. I don't wish to worry you but her comment about her teeth concerns me. I had Ramsey Hunt shingles which is excruciating so I would get your mum checked out by a doctor.

Newkidontheblock22 Sun 09-Jul-17 21:05:30

I swear by something like a red bull which has the caffeine and sugar similar to full fat coke. Supposedly the caffeine widens the blood vessels and that helps with the pain. I wouldn't use it every time as caffeine can contribute to migraines but when desperate like this it can be a lifesaver

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sun 09-Jul-17 21:08:43

Good point newkid - I wad told that Red Bull is good for MSG-triggered migraine. It helps me for those, not sure why I haven't tried it for normal ones.

Trees23 Sun 09-Jul-17 21:11:22

Hi user, I don't have any migraine tips sorry, but but don't worry at all about calling 111 again if you're still concerned or there are any new symptoms too, e.g. nausea/vomiting/weakness or anything else. They have probably already told you this but just incase!

Hope she's soon feeling much better and I'm sure she feels better for being looked after by you.

user784204 Sun 09-Jul-17 21:17:32

I think the neurology might be worth looking into, and I'll try the syndol and red bull when I can grab some!

Am still very much looking forward to the doctors appointment tomorrow to calm me - I'll be marching her in making sure she doesn't leave out a single detail!

But thank you so so much for all your support and wishes. It's very kind of you all and I'm glad you got me to call 111! Xxxx

CatsCatsCats11 Sun 09-Jul-17 21:24:06

Migraine sufferer here too, not much of a help now but my daith piercing has really helped. I was so desperate for help and gave it a go and I have been really surprised with how well it's worked.

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Mon 10-Jul-17 14:21:22

How is your mum today OP?

user784204 Mon 10-Jul-17 20:09:00

Ooh I'd never thought about piercings!! I'm covered in them, although my mum is rather opposed haha!

Thanks for asking! She's ok, a very slow morning but thankfully she was ok this afternoon so I drove her down to the doctors and she's been offered alternative medication in the hopes it might work better.

Still no real idea where it all came from though?! Very strange! But yes she's doing a lot better - thank you for the support everyone!

user784204 Mon 10-Jul-17 20:10:00

And she's slowly been sipping on sweet tea and a Coca Cola throughout the day (didn't have a chance to grab any red bull!) which I think has really helped smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now