Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Anal skin tag/pile removal

(11 Posts)
Funnyface1 Tue 04-Jul-17 13:27:49

I know there are old threads on this subject but I'm hoping to speak to someone in the here and now.

I had an anal skin tag removed 5.5 weeks ago. It was the remainder of what use to be a pile, was just left over. I thought I was healing well initially but now I seem to be stalling and it's getting me down.

I saw my consultant a week ago and he said it's healing well and should be fully closed soon. But he was a bit vague and I'm starting to despair. I really want some info or advice from someone who has lived it.

I'm still in lots of pain after every bowel movement even though I'm on movicol and they are soft. I'm not bleeding but I know the wound is still open because there is a tiny amount of seepage when I wipe.

Can anyone tell me how soon it turned around for you? Any tips on healing? If I could stop going to the toilet it would be healed by now but obviously I can't do that?

Will it ever close and stop hurting? It's one step forward and two steps back at the moment. I'm sick of being in pain.

Thanks.

Lilyanna79 Mon 05-Feb-18 05:08:08

Hi FunnyFace1 - Did this heal up for you? Im waiting for a date for surgery for removal of my two anal skin tags and slightly scared so hoping it all turned out ok for you?

Funnyface1 Tue 06-Feb-18 16:18:42

Hi Lily, I'm very pleased to say that yes it did. Very soon after writing this I turned a corner with the healing and by about week 8 it was closed and the pain was gone. I've been fine ever since.

It was totally worth doing and I'm really happy with it now. I didn't find it as easy as some people seem to and it hurt a lot for those first 6 weeks. But I got through it and I'm glad I did it.

Lilyanna79 Tue 06-Feb-18 17:36:17

That’s so good to hear FunnyFace1!

Can I ask was your swelling bad? Did you get spasms etc? These are all the things that I’m making big in my head but these forums have actually been quite reassuring...

Funnyface1 Tue 06-Feb-18 22:10:07

Unfortunately I had more things wrong so essentially underwent 3 procedures in 1. I had internal piles treated, I had Botox for fissures and the skin tag removed.

I had no trouble recovering from the other things, it was the open wound from the skin tag that really hurt. The swelling wasn't so bad after the first few days but the area remained incredibly sore.

The pain got worse as the weeks wore on despite the fact that I was apparently healing well. My surgeon said that was normal, something to do with nerve endings as the wound got smaller and smaller.

I didn't have spasms at all but I had Botox so I think that's probably why. It paralyses it all for a time.

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Tue 06-Feb-18 22:13:43

Ok am weirdly curious now... do you mind if I just ask why you had an old pile removed?

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Tue 06-Feb-18 22:14:06

Was there a medical reason?

Funnyface1 Tue 06-Feb-18 22:56:38

I had it removed because it used to become thrombosed regularly and cause me terrible pain. So I suppose you could call it an active external pile. Surgeon called it a skin tag.

dirtybadger Wed 07-Feb-18 19:55:58

Sometimes glyceryl trinitrate ointment is prescribed for tears. Is it comparable to a tear? Might be worth asking about.

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Thu 08-Feb-18 11:32:12

Hope you're feeling better now funnyface flowers

youredoinggreat Sun 23-Sep-18 04:39:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: